main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Pitch your Episode VII story idea in 10 words or less

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Some good ideas there but the one major snag I can see is the fact that Luke has had a son. Now I'm no fanboy of the EU and maybe in that side of things he's had son, I don't know? (Although I'm sure someone will enlighten at some point) but if Luke is to be a Jedi GrandMaster? surely he would've followed the old Jedi traditions of no attachments? The kid angle will surely be about Han & Leia's children. Again, everything is up for debate of course.

Darth Dru likes this.
  2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks.

Yeah, Luke has a son in the EU named who he and his wife Mara named Ben. Understand that if the ST does feature a son for Luke, I don't necessarily expect him to be called "Ben Skywalker" and follow the EU to a 't' (though I'd be okay with that), but just for the sake of knowing, yes, Luke does have a son in those stories.

As far as the films, I honestly expect Luke to be fully aware (through reference materials and, of course, Yoda and Obi-Wan's spirits) of the reasons that the old Order failed and, even more to the point, how Luke's attachment to his father, in fact, served to facilitate Vader's redemption. No, while I could be wrong, naturally, I think that the Jedi of the New Order will be encouraged to have families.

Will this mean Luke will be given a son in the ST? No idea, but I'd like to see the story go in this direction more than almnost any other.

DARTHSHAME and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah I understand. But surely the father & son angle has been done now? Maybe it's time for a new direction? Something different.

Darth Dru likes this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Ooh, see, now this is where you and I just aren't likely to agree.

As the newest chapters (perhaps the culmination?) in the "Episodic" films I think that it's vital that certain specific traditions and the elements of setting, plot, characters, conflict and themes witnessed in the first six chapters should not only be honored, but continued to be expanded upon. As I pointed out, I also hope to see the monomyth maintained, along with an original John Williams score, the passing of one generation to the next, advances in technology, architecture, fashion and the like which make sense given the context of the prior films, and more. While I expect Abrams to leave a mark of his own, I also hope to see a visual style which sits comfortably alongside I-VI. I want a fresh take on things, sure, but for my money, the time to do new things at the fundamental level is when we start to see the stand-alone pictures, new trilogies starting fresh with their own storylines, etc. Given that the Skywalker father/son theme has been so central to the story, I think it would be a severe disservice to the saga as a whole to abandon this tradition now.

You know, folks rightly ask "after the events of ROTJ, what's left to tell?" and I think that an exploration of Luke and a son (I feel in this instance, it should be a son, not a daughter) is the one thread that would easily carry over and offer very strong story possibilities. After all, given his own experiences, there's an opportunity the size of the Grand Canyon to see where fatherhood takes Luke and how those experiences help to shape not only his son, but the New Jedi Order as a whole. :)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    As far as I can see there would only be one path that storyline could take. All of Luke's teachings to his son come to no avail, and his son ends up turning bad,for whatever reason. What else is there that would be of any interest? I still maintain the father/son story arc has run its course. Over SIX films lets not forget. I want a fresh feel to the ST. Luke and the others will be the nod to the OT, not a new father/son plot.

7. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Expose how no matter which chancellor is in power nothing changes?

8. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Jar Jar binks dies slowly, painfully, loudly, colorfully, and repeatedly

Darth kRud likes this.
  9. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    lol not the Borg exactly, for obvious reasons; but something Borg-like might be interesting.

10. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm picking there will be another Sith Lord who craves all the power and wealth in the universe, who maybe at night goes deep inside the vaults of his newly created Death Star to leap from a high platform into the gold and jewels below....only to be unmasked towards the end of the film to be the evil SCROOGE McDARTH!!

I smell an Oscar.

Darth kRud likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    What could be left? Off of the top of my head, well, struggle with one's legacy as a Skywalker? The internal struggle with the darkside that all Skywalker's seem to face? What it means to be a mentor of an entire Order of Jedi vs the very personal issue of raising a son? How about the chance to finally see a healthy, mutually supportive relationship between father and son for the first time in the Saga?

I don't know, I could go on and on (there's a million of 'em), but frankly, it would be up to better writers than I to wrestle with that. As I said, the writers are kind of faced with the same issue of what to tell concerning the ST as a whole and I think the father/son theme offers a rather rich avenue for exploration (and just as importantly, the chance to keep thematic unity in place).

All that said, I'm perfectly willing to admit that we may just have to agree to disagree here before we overtake the entire thread (even if I do enjoy talking about it). :)

12. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I must apologise, but I can't remember Luke having to battle with his dark side? As I recall, Luke was warned of the dark side and was even offered the chance by Palpatine to take Vaders place at his side and basically said 'screw you!' to the Emperor (the master manipulator) Luke could not, and would not be turned. So ends the story of the sky walkers/ dark side. For it all to suddenly resurface again in Episode 7 is like reheated leftovers.

13. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, like I said, we can agree to disagree on whether it's something we want to see in the ST, or not.

That said, you never saw Luke teeter with his anger and tap into the Dark Side in ROTJ? I even submit that Luke had moments of serious introversion and Dark Side tendencies in ESB, but the way I view the films, both Anakin and Luke's respective struggles were written all over Return of the Jedi. Sure, Luke was able to make the right choice in the end, but as I see it, it sure wasn't free of any struggles with the darkness within him. I'm not trying to say you're wrong, mind you, just that we're taking very different things from these pictures (and isn't that part of the interpretive beauty of art?).

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yo, wordsmiths... this is the "10 words or less" thread.

15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    What I meant to say, on reflection, was that as fledgling Jedi Luke was exposed to the Dark side in ESB. Twice he was offered the chance to turn (by Vader in ESB and Palpatine in ROTJ) and still he remained faithful to Yoda and Obi wan. Unlike Anakin before him, Luke was Jedi through and through and would not be turned. And you can't argue the temptation was greater for Anakin. Anakin was a dick lol :)

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Luke returns to Anchorhead. Gets Power Converters. Converts Power.

Blue_10, Gobi-1, Han Yolo and 4 others like this.
  17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001

/thread

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Someone will have a bad feeling about something.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    And you said that in exactly 10 words, too. Impressive. < (I guess I just did, too.) ;)

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Not gonna lie. I counted and edited words for precision.

21. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    My post started off being only 10 words long but then after going back on it I couldn't help but tweak it a bit to more reflect my vision....four of the words I added are actually new state of the art CGI which I think enhances the whole sequence...can you spot which ones?

22. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Let's stay on topic.-Darth Boba

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...."

Darth_Cornish likes this.
  24. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I can sum up the story line in two words...

STAR WARS

25. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    Galactic word limit enforced - heroes and villains lost for words.