main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Which version of ANH is the true and only?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Aaronaman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The first dvd release of the SEs were the most common in the early 2000's.

themetresgained likes this.
  2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Willow, of course.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  3. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I think the battle over Yavin holds up quite well....Han and Chewie coming to the rescue is one of my favourite SW's moments. I think it shows how good it is by the fact GL didn't tinker with the scene much at all?

You don't have to agree with something to appreciate it hahaha

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The edition that you prefer is the true one.
    Any official edition is legitimate, though.

- How do I know the good side from the bad?
    - Meditate on this, I will.

/LM

5. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I have never watched any 'fan-edits' of ANH or any of the other Episodes either for that matter. That's one part of the SW universe I'd rather leave alone.

lbr789 and darth_mccartney like this.
  6. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Oh yeah, can't argue with that. Han coming to the rescue is a highlight of both ANH and the saga.

Aaronaman likes this.
  7. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Whichever one came out the last? Uncle George said this didn't he? Uncle Disney may now say otherwise but I think the last edition (until further editions) was the canon.:confused:

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    Blu Ray minus the re-vocalized Krayt Dragon impersonation. *shivers*

9. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    but the lightsaber going green on the Falcon... cannot unsee!

darth_mccartney likes this.
  10. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I was seven when SW first came out (and yes, I did see it). It was re-released each year it seems and I saw it each time. My Dad got us a bootleg version on VHS in 1980 and I wish I still had it. There was no "ep IV A New Hope" among other things. And yes, Han definitely shot first ;)

Ord-Mantell70 and sinkie like this.
  11. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    In my last post, I forgot to add that I really liked the Biggs/Luke meeting on Yavin, right before the DS battle - this was added into the '97 SE, and is on all subsequent releases (2004 DVD & 2011 Blu-ray). Great scene, which makes Biggs' death in the battle all the more poignant (a non-hardcore SW fan who watches the DS battle without that scene won't know that Luke & Biggs were necessarily friends who grew up on Tattoine).

12. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I would prefer the untouched version that existed somewhere between '77 and the SE era, cleaned up to at least look like it came from a pristine negative.

However, I do enjoy the added Biggs stuff, even as an admitted purist. That stuff just feels right to me. Guess because it is the actual actors acting rather than CGI injected afterthoughts. I'd take a combo version of these two if I had to.

For me the only true version is, as ObiAIKenobi says above, is the one I saw in the theatres multiple times during the glory days, including my cherished memory of the ANH/ESB double bill! Not sure when that was, whether it was between ESB and ROTJ or was the way my local theatre did the ESB premiere. But it was an amazing experience for 9-ish year old!

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose. But I'm fighting hard to resist the urge to totally rip into this guy for that comment. Obviously has no understanding of anything ever. Maybe his pic says it all.

Endor_Commando and sinkie like this.
  14. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    WHAT !!!!!
    I don't come here often anymore, and when I do, I see this sort of rubbish in the posts.
    Stupidity brings out the worst in me so best I leave again before I get banned.

Heero_Yuy and Jcuk like this.
  15. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Why does it hurt your fan heart so much that someone thinks ANH is the worst SW film? That's an opinion not too uncommon among younger fans. What does that change about your view on the film?
    And this has nothing to do with "stupidity". You should just learn tolerance and fragmentation of opinion.

I have to agree with others: there is no "true and only" version.

Andy Wylde, Death T and lbr789 like this.
  16. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm...

17. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Same position.

Although Lucas claimed in the 90's that the Special Edition was his true and only vision of ANH, it was not the case until he could make changes...

The original releases are the ones many people got used to, loved and want to watch again as they were.

18. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
    And if I was to say that you obviously have no understanding of anything ever because you DO like ANH...?

I aint judging because you do like it, so don't judge because I think that even AOTC (my 2nd least fav SW movie) is lightyears ahead ANH. ;)

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh boy...

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Do not be alarmed, everybody... taste is subjective.

darth_mccartney and Seagoat like this.
  21. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
    Exactly :)

22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The pacing of ANH or whatever the heck you want to call it moves pretty quickly. We're just use to seeing it so many times. The same goes for the other two.

23. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The original theatrical version. The one that made history and changed cinema. The version that actually matters.

Darth kRud and Jcuk like this.
  24. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Blu-Ray version since it is the closest to matching Lucas's vision, not some fan's.

Andy Wylde and darth_mccartney like this.
  25. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    They're all the same movie. Doesn't matter if there's a CGI space rat thingy in the background on a scene or two.

Andy Wylde and Random Comments like this.