main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Transition between trilogies - from the physical to the spiritual

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Cornish, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Also, Obi-Wan did mention that he would become more powerful than Darth Vader could possibly imagine. Perhaps this is the finale. In the finale the Jedi defeat the Sith forever. It's clear that transcending life is the ultimate goal, not holding on to life or manipulating midi-chlorians to keep people from dying.

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Actually, it came from the Making of Revenge of the Sith book. Lucas said Jinn wasn't as accomplished as Yoda and Ben at the time of death/merging with the Force.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wasn't referencing that. Sorry if Sean thought that was what I was talking about.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Fits in to the OP's design was, hopefully, my point.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    This wouldn't change his status as a flawed mortal if it happened at the end of IX. It would continue his story a la King Arthur, the once and future king.

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    So, can a Sith Lord return as a force ghost? If so then surely Palpatine can return?

Dra--- likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  8. Marc McAllister

Marc McAllister Jedi Padawan

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm just speculating, this is fanon or whatever, but let's pretend that Feb 22 1940 (Because SW uses a 380 a year cycle based on the pre Julio system) that the acension of the new Dali Lama from mortal to... Dali Lama is Obi Wan telling Luke in Episode 4 that he must learn the ways of the force, makes Luke the new chosen one (Anakin still is Uber chosen 1, but it's been split between his will (i must obey my master) and fate, destiny etc, I would say Luke is Priory de Sion.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I guess that could work. On the other hand they believe in the circle of life and death is a natural part of that. Sure, they will guide the next generation as ghosts if necessary but they will also say goodbye at some point (end of ROTJ). The torch can't be really passed if the old persists at infinitum.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  10. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    If you have a fair understanding of spiritual mysticism, you can detect the different tones of it throughout the saga. Albeit Lucas is no mystic lol, but he uses the concepts as underlying themes in his SW stories. The PT's view of the Force seems very grounded in the philosophy of the Living Force; whereas the Transcendent aspects seem to be the underlying theme in the OT. That's not to say however that some aspects of the Living Force aren't addressed as well by Obi-Wan and Yoda in the OT, because they are. I suspect the philosophy of the Unifying Force will play a major role in the ST. Explaining these spiritual aspects is not simple, i suggest you google them and extrapolate for yourself. Most people won't recognize these elements for what they are, they see the Force as simply a magic-like plot device, which it is to some extent, but it is also so much more. It offers a deeper appreciation to the story as a whole.

11. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    I did mention in another thread a quote from the making of TESB book, page 24 where Lucas states (paraphrasing) 'in the end the emperor is like Ben and can transform himself. Where Ben is the personification of good, the emperor is the personification of bad.'

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    They are???

13. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I force ghost here, a force ghost there....a force ghost on the toilet reading the paper- one up in a tree rescuing a cat. Serious time. It would take some balls to try to 'explain the universe', as in, get into great detail about the force and the 'afterlife'. These are human real life mysteries and it would be better if left a tad mysterious in the films. In trying to explain the entire meaning of everything they would risk being cheesy as heck. I don't think the new series is going to center around an explanation for existence I think it will be more philosophical concerning moral ambiguity. The thin line between "good and evil".

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. Resolution

Resolution Jedi Padawan

Mar 12, 2013
    I never said it was going to be. I agree with you. I was just curious if Qui Gon might be there or even mentioned at all. There doesn't need to be any of them really, except maybe Yoda or Obi Wan. Nothing needs explaining.

15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    If we see past force ghosts, I think Yoda is the most likely.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It would be the easiest to pull off.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Also, while I see a need for the Saga to eventually move on... if they end up making only 1-9 when all is said and done... the lack of Yoda would be jarring. Especially from a marketing standpoint.

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Yep, exactly

19. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Needs more cowbell Yoda.

20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If they really wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to bring back Anakin and Obi-Wan alongside Yoda. Regardless of your opinion on the topic, they already replaced Anakin's Force Ghost with Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi. And with sufficient makeup it wouldn't be too hard to replicate an older Obi-Wan with Ewan McGregor. He already expressed interest in returning to the series. Heck, if they wanted to, they could even bring Qui-Gon back! It still makes me sad that his part was cut out of Revenge of the Sith... I'm kind of hesitant on the spin-off films at the moment (though I am remaining cautiously optimistic), but I would absolutely love to see something set in between the two trilogies featuring Obi-Wan and Yoda learning from Qui-Gon.

I don't know if I want to see Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin returning in the Sequel Trilogy, per say (it all depends on the execution and their relevance), but I most definitely want to see the Force Ghosts incorporated into the story in some way, shape, or form with expanded roles. To me, they are one of the most intriguing elements of the entire saga (if not the most intriguing element). I don't want their mysteries diluted, but seeing them in a new light with larger roles could make for a very interesting expansion to what we know about the Force.

On the off chance that they do ultimately decide to somehow bring Darth Plagueis back from the dead for the new trilogy, it will also be very interesting to see how his view of eternal life (cheating death) conflicts with the Jedi view on the subject (transcending death).

21. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    What if it's Jar Jar's Force Ghost?

22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Then he gets all Sparkly-glowy?

leiamoody and Prodigy_Knight like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What's the point of bringing in all those ghosts? Yoda and Anakin became ghosts to say goodbye to Luke. Obi-Wan was a guide to Luke.

Luke doesn't need guidance anymore. He is his own master now.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  24. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Well thought out proposal since it is a thematic connection between all 3 trilogies.
    I don't know if the writers will do this however. I just hope that there are some underlying themes connecting PT, OT and ST underneath the fabulous denizens, characters and worlds and ships etc of the GFFA. SW has always been a great story AND theme which makes it different from most other films of its type.

25. Darth Cornish

Nov 7, 2000
    Thanks. GL has always had a knack for the 'bigger picture' so hopefully this influence will be apparent in the ST - even if just from the treatments he has provided the writers. As much as i want to see fresh characters / ideas etc, i still want it to flow and build on what has gone before, not be tacked on.