main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion So apparently Lucas started on the ST just before selling Lucasfilm

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LordThrawnStark, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013

Bloomberg News

Interesting. I had assumed it was a very old treatment that they were basing the next episodes off of. Another instance where Geroge goes back on what he said.

Also, this should put to rest all the people complaining about Disney wrecking Star Wars. They own Pixar and Marvel, and they put out Quality stuff.

2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I think we were all fully aware of this within hours of the sellout. Mark Hamill came out and said George talked to him and Fisher in August 2012.

Even Sam Witwer came out and said he knew they were making a new Star Wars film six months before it was public, albeit wasn't aware it was Episode VII.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    "Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is..."

Interesting news. I would love to know exactly to what extent he was working before the sale and transition over to Disney.

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yeah interesting. Though I've always thought that had the PT been widely acclaimed and accepted, Lucas wouldn't have felt the need for a ST. To me, this just goes to prove he knew he'd made a huge lump of disappointment with the PT. the option to redeem the some credibility was always there with a possible ST. Otherwise why bother..

5. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    There isn't any new information here at all. We've known this for awhile now. I wish we could get confirmation on just how in-depth George's story treatment was, though.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    No. The point of starting work on the ST was to make the company more valuable before selling it. He's a good businessman.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    He made a huge Lump of money[face_money_eyes] with the PT ......

darth_mccartney likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    And? After the huge LUMP of money he'd made from the OT, I don't think money was the over riding factor he made the PT do you?

9. Resolution

Resolution Jedi Padawan

Mar 12, 2013
    I believe he's has some of the stories tucked away. I don't seriously think before he started thinking about selling it that he suddenly came up with the ST. I'd say he's had at least ideas he's never used.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm pretty sure he was planning these for quite a while.

11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I'm positive imo that the reason we're getting a ST is either

A) LFL got in deep trouble financially that we didn't hear about, which prompted them to begin working on a Star Wars sequel trilogy as early as October 2010, when reports were leaked by several sources that the very early stages of Star Wars Episode VII "might" be underway, though it was generally not accepted as fact. (Source: http://furiousfanboys.com/2010/10/star-wars-sequel-trilogy-due-in-2019/)

There may also be reason to suggest that both the 3D re-releases and the Blu-Ray releases were attempts to gain profits to begin to develop the sequel trilogy - and apparently, failed. Around this time, I suspect Lucas was approached by Disney for a sellout as mentioned in the video.

B) for the reasons mentioned in the video.

C) Lucas was genuinely upset by the backlash that he received for the prequels and his changes to the originals. Almost always whenever you hear GL mentioned, it is in scorn. Star Wars was his vision, even if it had bombed at the boxoffice in 1977, he still planned on making sequels, such as Splinter of the Minds Eye, for example. It was his dream to create these movies and it worked until TPM was released. The sequel trilogy being put in the hands of someone else is his way of giving Star Wars a chance to restore itself to glory.

D) a combination of all three.

12. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
  13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    LOL some of these responses. So Lucas, unbeknownst to us, is secretly broke rather than having billions. He is having the ST made so that he can get off of welfare, food stamps, and Medi-cal, and stop that scrubby road-side panhandling. Yeah, OK....

Or he is sobbing, crying and trying to redeem himself in the eyes of the PT naysayers by selling his company and having SOMEONE ELSE make his movies? Whatever silliness you want to believe.

How about the possibility that George ALWAYS intended to have his trilogy/legacy live on, and there came a right time and right deal to do it? Could it possibly be that he could care less what the snivelers thought about the PT? Or even more inconceivably, that he has more money than he will ever know what to do with, and it isn't the deciding factor in his life that it is in the pathetic lives of the dweebs that troll him? You just never know what could be true here.....

I don't really see anything stunningly new in this video, we pretty much already knew this. George sets up his company as he wants it run, and finds a buyer that will give them creative control; is this news? No, old facts. We don't know whether George had these stories in his head already or not, or had them partially written all along. This clip is short on important details.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ... and yet nobody zero'ed in on the obvious. He has a wedding to pay for.

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm... more evidence proving that Lucas has had a bigger hand in the ST than presumed... my hopes are getting higher and higher!

Lee_ likes this.
  16. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    His 'legacy' was on the line so he bluffed, said he didn't want to sell, put people in place at LucasFilm who he knew/thought would respect his artistic wishes, wrote a treatment for episode's 7,8 &9 then sold to Disney with the deal including the use of his treatments. It was a way of maintaining some control whilst relinquishing control.

17. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It wouldn't mattered if he had kept Lucasfilm and made the ST himself. If the people who have it in for GL like it, they will give the credit to anyone but Lucas, and if they hate it then it will all be his fault. Bashing Lucas has been an internet pastime for literally decades now.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I don't think money would have been the major factor as otherwise why give away over half the 4 billion away.

I think it was a combination of things. Not only the Prequels but he also suffered big knocks with both Indy 4 and Red Tails which have been pretty much derided. So much so that people have actually got famous for ripping them apart.

Think about it the guy who is known for creating characters such as Darth Vader, a cultural icon who still wins awards to this day and the admired Han Solo/Indiana Jones, which put Harrison Ford on the map, is now known and derided for creating Jar Jar Binks and a whiny mocked Anakin Skywalker, which destroyed Hayden Christensen's career.

I don't care who you are that's gotta hurt and a guy who insisted on doing everything himself, it would probably hurt quite a bit.

Then you have the Clone Wars TV show, which I think got him back in the groove and which he had fun again. He is writing ideas but having others direct and flesh them out, and you could see him pretty much try and correct what were past mistakes. Anakin Skywalker was basically re-written into a brand new (and much more sympathetic) character and Darth Maul was bought back to life to be the shows villain, an acknowledgement that he shouldn't have been killed off in TPM.

I think it was the fun he had with the TV show that made him think yeah I'll do the ST but have someone else cast and direct etc

TheManFromMortis and Darth kRud like this.
  19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013

20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I find the notion that Lucas didnt care what (some) fans thought of the PT to be arrogant, and pretty insulting. These are the same fans that grew up with and loved the OT and lined his pockets and made him a very rich man. To think of him saying, 'ah, who gives a damn what they think' makes my blood boil. So he doesn't have an ounce of respect for his fans?

21. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Pretty sure Lucasfilm was not hurting financially......I just gotta say, just because some of us rip GL about the PT, changing and adding things to the OT (Like Han not shooting first!) it doesn't mean we don't love George and thank him for the amazing story of Star Wars.

Pro Scoundrel and Darth kRud like this.
  22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Well not really but with Lucas it's always a matter of time , after ROTJ he stated he was never going to do this again & then in 1993 he changed his mind & after the PT was not that well recieved he said NO MORE then out of the blue in Oct 2012 he sells LFL & the ST is on.........

23. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm sort of seeing it as GL wanting to see the saga continue but doesn't want to have to deal with the backlash if the movies don't live upto certain fans expectations (which I doubt the ever could).

Imagine going through all that work on the PT just to have the Internet flood with comments about how he ruined the SW universe....his universe to which I don't understand, SW was his vision of what he wanted so I can't see how any decision he makes could be wrong?

I would pretty much bet my entire vintage figure collection (not actually betting though lol) that the same fans who sit behind their computer screens and 'hate' would be the same ones who would probably drop to their knees in tears and kiss his sneakers if they ever met him face to face.

Padme501st likes this.
  24. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm..I for one would certainly not drop to my knees and kiss his sneakers as you put it. I have huge admiration for the man but certainly don't view him as some sort of god. Just can't see why someone didnt have the guts, while they were shooting TPM, to take him to one side and say,'look George, sorry but this ain't working. How about you start putting a little bit of thought in to this hmm?'

25. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Hahaha the 'drop to their knees' comment was more a figure of speech than what i think they'd actually do, I was just trying to point out who frustrating it would be to put your effort into making something for a community that has an element of negative and hypocritical fans.

Why should some one have pulled him as side? I've read so many articles from cast and crew who worked on ANH and they've stated that they thought what they were working on was absolute rubbish that wasn't going to work and if I remember rightly that film turned out OK?

Just for the record I don't think GL is a god lol

Vthuil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.