main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Plot Holes in the CT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Klingon Padawan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's kind of how I see that, too. He just sees an astrometric droid. It doesn't mean a lot to him and he doesn't make the connection.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Got one - gravity on ships is treated as if on Earth, but realistically, shouldn't everyone be floating?

3. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I know there's millions of R2 units but I've only ever seen two other blue ones in the saga besides R2....hey I can remember my first cell phone and that was a llooooonnnggg time ago haha

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Would you know your old cell phone if it was identical to thousands of others after nearly two decades? Unless it had some specific dents and scratches (if you even remembered them), I doubt it.

DarthTalonx and Darth Nerdling like this.
  5. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I really doubt Obi-Wan wouldn't recognize R-2.

It's just another example of the PT screwing with the OT. I'm just glad Lucas didn't throw in a scene of Han Solo as a little kid.

6. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Don't forget about Obi-wan forgetting C3P0. Like the Above Poster said, they are tons of the same models of the droids, but still feels strange.

I'm wondering if Geroge Threw R2 and C3P0 into big roles cause Jar Jar Failed as the sidekick role.

darth ladnar likes this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The biggest one to me is Leia remembering her mother. That one bothers me. I've heard all the "force memory" explanations, but to me that just seems like a cute way to explain away a giant plot hole.

Although, like some of the other examples that isn't really a plot hole in Return of the Jedi, it's one caused by Sith

Yanksfan and J_Girl like this.
  8. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    This is the biggest one for me.

Obi-Wan "not remembering" the droids is ok - at the time that we meet him in ANH he's had to maintain a conspiracy. It's not like he was going to go, "Oh, hey, yeah! R2D2! Your dad and I used to have all kinds of adventures with that little dude..."

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    While I wholeheartedly agree with the problem with Leia's memory, I see that as a PT plot hole, not an OT plot hole.

10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, that would be more accurate.

11. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Good point.....mind you I'm not a Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan is?

And so far I've only noticed two other blue units in the saga besides R2 so is there really a million of the same identical ones?

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Here are two I thought up today:

Why did Obi-Wan wait three years to tell Luke to find Yoda?

It took the Empire 19 years to finish the first Death Star, then it only takes them four years to make a bigger and better one. WUT?!

Valiowk, DARTHSHAME and Death T like this.
  13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Much like with Leia's memory, the length of time it took to build the Death Star is more of a function of the PT. ANH doesn't give us any clues into it's construction other than the fact that it's a new weapon.

Darth__Lobot and Yanksfan like this.
  14. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I've always thought this as well. Good catch.

15. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    True enough. But even without the PT or any particular length of time in mind, the biggest baddest super weapon of all time being nearly rebuilt in just a few years still feels cheap. I think the PT only exacerbated the DS2 'plot hole'. Meanwhile, Leia's memory and Obi-wan not recognizing R2 are plot holes more fully created by the PT.

Another one I noticed. In Empire Strikes Back we see a silver droid that looks just like 3PO on Cloud City. Since Anakin made 3PO as a little boy some 40+ years earlier on a far off desert planet that seems just a little too coincidental to me. But again, that's the PT's fault I suppose.

16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think it would be that difficult to build something like that quickly when you keep in mind that they are literally a "Galactic Empire". They literally have galaxy's worth of resources and infrastructure to throw into a project. They could accomplish many seemingly impossible construction tasks by our standards.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  17. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    CPO is a version of droid manufactured in the galaxy, much like astrotech units like R2, in a variety of colours red, silver, gold, white, Boba Fett even had a green and yellow one....therefore it's highly possible that coverings would be readily available on a planet like Tatooine.

In ESB we see R-3PO (white), and even 4-LOM is a protocol droid variant, so not the PTs fault because it is a line started in the OT.

18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Why is that quote assigned to me? I didn't say that

19. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    Because I quoted the wrong person haha....I just changed it

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    No worries, I figured it was just a weird glitchy thing

21. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Did Obi-Wan even own R2? I dont believe so. He says something along the lines, "I don't remember owning a droid."

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- the droids on the Jedi Starfighters weren't the property of the individual Jedi, but of the government- and since the Jedi were part of the government (Judicial Corps), they could get things issued to them.

Valiowk, AshiusX and Darth Nerdling like this.
  23. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    He may not have owned him but for all the time they spent together and the adventures they went through it would be like Han forgetting Chewie.

24. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    He didn't have to be issued to him though....R2 was nearly always with Anakin...Anakin was nearly always with Obi-Wan. It just seems logical that he would remember R2

25. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    But he never says he doesn't know or remember R2D2.

darth ladnar and DARTHSHAME like this.