main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Fantastic Ian McDiarmid

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darthkarma, May 18, 2002.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    When I watched TPM recently I wonder if Palpatine's disdain for the Gungans as evidenced in that line informed his anti-nonhuman policy as Emperor.

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Ian is by far the best Actor in the Saga.

All his lines are good but the best by far is:

"The Republic will be reorganized into the First Galactic Empire! For a safe and secure society!"

Cue applause.

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    "I can feel your angea, it gives you focus, makes you stronga". (35 second mark) It's the way he says focus. I talk to my girlfriend in that voice from time to time...when she mad at me.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Good God... I hope he doesn't actually feel Anakin's angea...

5. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    And he was fighting laryngitis in that scene, his voice even cracks in the film.

Ian's performances are probably the best thing about the prequels. I give Ewan credit for morphing into Alec Guiness too.

6. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    TPM
    "I will make it legal"
    "Wipe them out. All of them."

AOTC
    "I will not let thi republic that has stood for over a thousand years be split in two. My negotiations will not fail."

ROTS
    "Leave us." (to his entourage in the opera scene (ALL of the opera scene actually))
    "Lord Vader...can you hear me?"

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The original version was better though... not this fan edit of the scene.

8. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, Ian McDiarmid was pretty darn good and he deserved an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I still think the deformed Sidious in EP III is a bit over the top, maybe that's script's fault, his portrayal of Sidious before the CIS leaders is right on the spot.

10. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013

Actually, that might have been the most deserving aside from Visual Effects. Too bad despite ROTS being the best reviewed PT film it wasn't so well recieved to garner Mcdiarmid a nod. Sci-Fi never gets any love. ROTK Best picture win was a huge step forward, but it will still be along time before we see a Sci-fi film win Best picture.

11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    TPM - "Wipe them out. All of them."

So cold. Chilling. You get the feeling Palpy doesn't really care about human (or Gungan) rights don't you? ;)

AOTC - "I love democracy. I love the Republic"

Palpatine the hypocrite playing the part of the Republic loving Supreme Chancellor to a tea.

ROTS - Are you going to kill me? [Anakin - "I would certainly like to"] "I know you would"

The way he says "I know you would" you could almost be forgiven for thinking homoeroticism had found its way into Star Wars! [face_laugh]

Darth Raiden and Cryogenic like this.
  12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I thought he was good until the cackaling krazzy Palpatine came out. He messed it up with that.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    "Viceroy... I don't want this stunted slime in my sight again."

"Do it for me M'lady... the thought of losing you... is unbearable."

Favorite examples from each side of the Sidious/Palpatine coin.

Darth Raiden and FRAGWAGON like this.
  14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Far better. I appreciate that everyone is driven to see things a little differently, but fan edits like that -- in my view -- are irritating, especially when they're presented as the real deal.

That edit skips over a wad of detail, though for all the truncation, Lucas' calm, zen-like aesthetic remains intact. For a scene so stark in its dramatic import, what's striking about it is how Lucas frames it and manages the spatial interplay between his actors.

The colours alone are quietly astonishing: an ascetic interbreeding of lightly-contrasting machine greys, dashes of charcoal black, off-colour red, interspersed with faint hints of yellow, gold, and biscuit brown.

And the geometry is kept sleek and refined, like Palpatine himself and his liquoriced entreaties. Chancellor Palpatine cannot be removed "from office". He *is* that damn office! It's like he's been existing in that place forever. The creepy Spartan purity of it all.

And the gauche luring of his honey-suckled apprentice with subliminally-calming art pieces is simply magnificent. Lights on even in daytime. A well-lit bas relief. Wide windows with rounded edges permitting the blue-white light of Coruscant through. It's okay, Anakin. You couldn't possibly lose your soul in this place...

And the way the actors pace round each other. The careful framing that captures the tenuous delicacy of their bond. The rarefied choice of words coming from Palpatine, Anakin's inability to register true disgust. It's all carefully laid out in the visuals. A true visual story.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes he is awesome

16. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    My favorite performance in the PT. I hang on every word, but I just LOVE it when he says, "Kill him" and "do it" with evil finality!

17. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    My favourite part of Palpatine is after the Jedi and Naboo escape to Coruscant in TPM.

Just the perfect Palpatine scenes, even when he's doing 'the right thing' it still serves his goals as Dark Lord of the Sith and to top it off he gets someone else to do the work for him! I think in 20 years when we're watching spin-off #135 Ian McDiarmid will still be offered up as the quintessential Sith performance.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  20. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    It's all I could find on youtube. Ya, kinda annoying.

21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Sacre bleu! I thought I was going mad! Well, I have been here eight years. :p

You must join me, S3. And together, we will destroy redundant threads!

Oh, well. For all that, it has its appeal. With its crude over-splicing, we get to appreciate how well Palpatine ensnared Anakin, compared to his rather comic-book-y courting of Luke. Cackling just doesn't cut it; not next to the majesty of "Darth Plagueis The Wise".

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The number of redundant threads is absurd. We will wipe them out, ahhhll of them. The best cackle in all the saga is when Sid's is so drunk on power that he stops chucking Senate pods towards his little green friend and is almost oblivious to the one that is headed right back at his face. That cackle rocks because of the way it gets cut off.:p

FRAGWAGON and Cryogenic like this.
  23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I also think he looks very handsome, too bad they had to put those ugly makeup on him in EP III and EP VI.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    "This is my apprentice, Darth Maul..." One of my favorites because it gives the Sith a visual face rather than just some random guy in a cloak.

25. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Troubling this merger is.... fan's of IAN are alway welcome, their love does grace to this ancient temple.... but are they truly members of The FIGS?

FIGS: The Secret Society Wrapped in the Enigma of the Worship of IAN MCDIARMID.... (and other ominous stuff)

Cryogenic likes this.