main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 'The Bible' Miniseries: Accurate or New Age teachings?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Green_Destiny_Sword, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Is anyone watching the History Channel's The Bible Miniseries? The productions quality is excellent (as well as the music) and probably the best of any Bible movie. but is it really teaching the Bible accurately?

It looks the co-creators of the film as well as the spiritutal advisors are very involved in New Age mysticism:

The Bible Miniseries: Hollywood Heresy?

It's good that the series is sparking so much discussion about the Bible but Christians always have to be careful of a little leaven.

2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I found the lack of dinosaur riding disturbing.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Jesus preaching about quartz pyramids and calling the Apostles "my indigo children" was a bit too much.

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The Rosary is what is called “Marian worship”, the treatment of Mary as a God.

[​IMG]

5. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    After reading this it seems like it is New Age changes and stuff. Very disappointed.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Obama=Satan apparently. Nothing new really.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I will give them this though, I don't think they cast a guy that looks like Obama purposely as the devil because he looks like Obama. That would be in a way ironic considering who is in charge of it if that was the case.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I watched the first two parts so far and didn't see anything New-Agey about it.

It's actually surprisingly good (though there's a lot of shouting). Wish they included more stories though. They hardly depicted Adam/Eve, Cain/Abel, Noah, Solomon... only mentioned Jacob... didn't even mention Esau or the sons of Jacob or the Witch of Endor.

I love how some "concerned Christian mothers" are complaining about the violence. Seriously? Just, seriously? Seriously?

Oh, actually reading the article now...

*they're complaining that Noah's children are young??
    *they're complaining that Noah isn't mentioning Jesus as he tells the story of Genesis?? Hello, the Book of Genesis doesn't either!
    *they understand that only 5 seconds were spent on Adam & Eve, and they're getting out of this that this means Adam and Eve were banished without hope. hello?!? Talk about reading too much into their decision to summarize the story in a 5-second flashback.
    *they're complaining and being picky about details
    *the change in the Abraham/Lot dispute was unnecessary, but Abraham's character is still preserved
    *the rest doesn't even deserve a response

9. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I watched the first two episodes and couldn't get past the horrible acting.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm going to start laughing now.

I'm not sure when I'm going to stop.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think the problem is that they're trying to condense an incredibly long book into this form. There are going to be deletions, changes and additions to help make the story flow better in this new form. As a Christian who really loves the Bible, I still don't get the hate for all the Hollywood and other productions that change details. It's a movie/mini-series; it's going to make changes.

The larger problem I have with a lot of Biblical productions is that they generally suck. There are some great exceptions, but generally I find them to just be bad movies on their face. Not because of the changes or anything; just not well done. Haven't tried this new one. But what's up with the History Channel anyway? Yet another once excellent cable channel destroyed by market forces. I'm not specifically meaning the Bible miniseries; they've been really declining for quite a while now in terms of their intellectual honesty and excellence.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  12. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I watched the first episode but never got around to watching it again. Thought it was pretty boring. And staying 100% true to the source material doesn't always make for a good Biblical film. FWIW, I think The Prince of Egypt is the best Bible movie that's been made and they took quite a few liberties.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    In order to advertise this show Glenn Beck gave a 30 minutes crying speech about how the family dog died, they read Psalms on the kitchen floor where the dog would sit, and then they watched the Ressurrection scene and his family was uplifted again.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Prince of Egypt is really good. That Franco Zefferelli Jesus miniseries is my personal pick for best of all Biblical movies. It's just head and shoulders above anything else in the genre I've ever seen. And head and shoulders above a lot of stuff I've seen outside the genre too. It's just so moving.

mrsvos likes this.
  15. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    My hubby got a laugh when I pointed out to him how the show glossed over the Abraham/Hagar/Ishmael story. Just like the bible did.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The History channel has lacked much history for some time now. When Pawn Stars and Pickers are you biggest shows, the die is cast.

mrsvos
    My hubby got a laugh when I pointed out to him how the show glossed over the Abraham/Hagar/Ishmael story.

Sammy Hagar is in it???? [face_cowboy]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    No it's not.

I tried watching a bit of it, the Exodus chapter....and I hated it.

I know it's a miniseries, and they have only so many hours and so much of a budget....but good lord, they rush everything, and it suffers. Ramses is so comical a villain that he might as well be stroking a hairless cat and complaining about frickin' laserbeams.
    You're better off sticking to The Prince of Egypt, where Ramses is actually a human being....so much so that you actually take pity on him when his son dies.

Also, HBO should totally make a King David miniseries in the same vein as Game of Thrones. That would be bloody epic.

And unfortunately would garner a ton of protest by the extreme religious right for all of the wanton violence, sex and nudity.....despite being true to the source material....

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Made me think of this...which is infinitely better.

19. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    [​IMG]

20. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Haven't watched the show, but I got a laugh at seeing Samson - a Jewish guy, being played by a black guy with dreadlocks. I know, "gotta be inclusive", but Samson was a Semite, not an African, and he probably wasn't sporting dreads either, although it would be kinda cool if he really did.

I read the article in the link, Rick Warren really isn't as New Agey as the article or the article it links to suggest. Joel Osteen hasn't totally sold out to the prosperity gospel, but he's awfully close to it. As has been said, this is a mini-series, they're only able to provide a brief glimpse into the stories of the Bible which nearly all of them are heavily reliant upon the reader/viewer being aware of the context into which they took place. TV is a far from perfect medium for these sorts of stories and people should not be expecting 100% accuracy coming from something which cannot give the viewers the same insights and contextual background that the original text can give them. The sad part is that this is what our society has become: we want to know things, but only fits and starts, and as long as it works for us on our busy schedule. Very few are willing or able to sit down and actually study something so we resort to the next best thing which may not be THE best thing.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Aren't there white people in the cast?

22. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    There are always white people.

23. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Technically, Semites are white people as they are generally categorized as being Caucasian.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Gah, I knew I'd get that response. You know what I meant. Biblical figures wouldn't have looked Western European any more than they would have looked African.

Shadojoker likes this.
  25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

On the left, Satan. On the right, the devil. :p

EDIT -- I honestly don't know how intentional it was.
    The actor doesn't really look like Obama.....
    [​IMG]

Amazing what you can do with a razor blade and a bit of bronze skin cream. :p

CloneUncleOwen and Shadojoker like this.