main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone else afraid Disney is going to pretend the prequels don't exist?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 11, 2013.

1. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    I think we're worrying about nothing. They won't contradict the PT. My prediction.

Like them or not, millions of people saw the PT films. I highly doubt Disney would openly contradict something that was in Ep1-3.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It only makes sense to keep them in mind.

Regardless of whether or not everyone liked them, the backlash would be massive if the ST blatantly contradicted them.

SnakeWesker likes this.
  3. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    It makes sense that they're shifting attention away from the PT, and everything else, as a marketing strategy if they want the Star Wars PR machines and fan base fully focused on Ep. VII, but I definitely have issues with how they're just shutting everything down at the moment. They can't ignore the PT, at least not the movies, but my feeling is that Disney wants as much space between the upcoming ST and the criticism leveled at the PT by fans and non-fans alike.

The PT's time in the spotlight is, for better or for worse, over.

Lady_Skywalker87 and SnakeWesker like this.
  4. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm not convinced they'll forget about the PT, remember this is the first film that's not had Mr. Lucas in complete control and the last thing they would want is to alienate the fan base that's all ready been established and will be their bread and butter for any incoming SW's ventures.

5. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I believe that Disney will distance the ST from the prequels and focus on the original trilogy.

6. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    I'd say they would have to be very,very,very,very ... very stupid to do this, you have a whole generation for which SW means the PT, they're not going to ignore those fans just to cater to some diehard fanatics.

A writer might try, a director might try, unfortunately due to the time needed for artists to come into their own I think the current artistic generation is still the OT inspired one, but the PT is coming soon.

But Disney is a corporation they think in numbers large numbers and one effect, positive in this case, of almost ensuring the PT crowd or more accurately the entire Saga crowd is going to be catered to.

In any case to overwrite the PT they would have to devote screen-time in the ST to talk about the CW, Palapatine's rise etc again and screen time is so very precious especially when they have to introduce new characters.

7. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Why people are so wrapped up in this is so beyond me...Lucasfilm has been pretending the PT does not exist for years before the buy..that being said, I believe that even though the focus may change Disney will be balanced with the Saga.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  8. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Disney was crystal clear when they bought Lucasfilm: They understand what made Star Wars a successful franchise and will respect everything it's rightful creator George Lucas made. There may even have some close in the sale contract which we don't know about. They know SW has a huge fandom and doing otherwise will be a disaster which is not at all to their advantage.

That said, all we got on screen these past years was PT related: The films themselves, CW , TCW ect.
    Therefore focussing on the OT era for some time is the right thing to do. Also, if you want a new trilogy to the Saga the logical thing to do is a sequel.

Disney has many project on the table which will result in the coming years to lots of SW on screen. So, cancelling TCW is a good move. The shows end with Ahsoka leaving the Jedi Order. That's pretty much what many of us expected. There is no need to pursue the show. Let's not forget SW detours is coming on TV in some time... I am not talking about the live action series in negotiation with ABC...

Let's be honest, as much as we like SW it shouln't have too many of it around the sime time, the public might have an indigestion and loose interest and that's not a good thing for the franchise. That's why the Saga 3D has been cancelled. With the ST and the spin-offs there would be many SW films in theaters in the coming years.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    It'll sort of be a relief for Disney to back away from the prequel trilogy a bit and just leave it for fans to go over. Not abandonment, per se; but avoidance -- or subdued emphasis -- for financial and artistic reasons both. Ultimately, I think it'll suit the PT to be this on-off, love-hate, did-he-or-didn't-he, Jar-Jar-or-no-Jar-Jar, weird, random, skewed, avant-garde sort of thing. The prequel films will shine like jewels, but only for those who wish to open the box and peer inside. Maybe that's the way it should really be.

10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. They will become the OOT of the apologists set. Fawned over and treasured, but largely left behind by the corporation.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  11. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, I'll definitely be upset if Disney doesn't release "Star Wars: The Apologist Edition" in the next decade.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think way too much is being made of this theory.

13. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Extra George Lucasy? Oh, what utter unintentional hilarity it will be when George Lucas again takes up the editing knife while yet another decade removed from anyone's ability to reign him in. I would totally buy that on release day!

14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    George Lucas doesn't use knives. Unless they're digital ones, of course.

But seriously, he's hardly done any serious editing to any of the Star Wars movies since putting them out for the first time in their original years of release. Most changes in subsequent years have been cosmetic. He actually seems to have left all the run times well and truly alone since completing ROTS. No excisions, no padding. They are right how he wants them to now be. Sure, he might always desire to change X or Y, but I think he realizes and is glad that the films are more or less locked in place now, and that their existing structure is the structure that they should always have. In many ways, the saga *is* complete.

BoromirsFan and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Gee, more name calling (apologists)...how original. Must one resort to such to prove one's "superiority"?

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not sure what you are meaning by "pretending they don't exist." They are moving on to the next phase of the saga, as they should. The PT is 3 movies behind where they want people to be focused for the coming movies. I'm sure there will be at least a few references to the events of the PT in the ST.

BTW, it still confuses me the way people keep talking about Disney doing this and Disney doing that with the ST; Disney is not making the decisions about the movie, that would be Lucas's people along with Arndt and JJ. People act like the CEO of Disney is out micromanaging every aspect of episode 7, saying things like "OK, so and so will be the head Jedi, and such and such will star as the Sith, and this is how the story will go....".

Why do people talk this way? I don't get it, but it continues on and on in this forum.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Timing...and shock, but probably especially the timing of the announcements.

18. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Afraid? I can only hope...

Heero_Yuy and KilroyMcFadden like this.
  19. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I always felt TCW was ill-timed. The time for Clone Wars was between AOTC in 2002 and ROTS in 2005. Not after. Poor planning by Lucas(film). Had they executed TCW cartoon(s) in between films we all would have been stoked, and it could have cleaned up some of the films' slop (e.g. Syfo Dyas) and set us up perfectly for ROTS.

Anyway, Jedi_Ford_Prefect said it, the Jedi Temple and Senate were added to the ROTJ Celebration on Coruscant... Both -- and Coruscant itself -- were important to the PT and non-existent in the OOT. It's not unreasonable to expect Coruscant to still be the capital, and home to the New Senate and New Jedi Order. I also expect Luke to learn things from the Temple even if the New Order is not headquartered there; they will have to learn from the "Golden Era" of the Old Republic and get past the misinformation of the Dark Times.

20. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    YES, YES, YES, Disney should totally ignore, and do away with anything Prequel, Star Wars History as far as the movies go starts at the moment that Gaint Star Destoryer chases down Princess Leias Ship in ANH...................The ST will Follow up the OT, it should have Nothing ..NOTHING to do or say about the obismal, horrible, poorly Directed and written Prequels.

This way we can pretend..

1.) Anakin was not a Whiny Crybaby
    2.) Anakin did not start as a little slavechild but instead was the Age of Luke and a slave to the Hutts, not a little junkdealer??
    3.) Padme fell in love in a real way with Anakin after seeing his struggles to stay loyal to the Jedi
    4.) Boba Fett was not a clone
    5.) We can wipe away any memory of Jar Jar Binks
    6.) We can envision a true friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin without Q-Gon.
    7.) We can totally have a clone wars that means something contested between forces we care about
    8.) Darth Maul and Q-Gon could play larger roles outside the Obi-Wan,Anakin,Padme circle

21. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I swear, TFN needs to be set up like the British television programme "QI", where an alarm sounds whenever someone says "Jar Jar Binks" as some kind of complaint about the prequel trilogy from now on.

22. Darth Venator

Darth Venator Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2013
    Oh, look! Prequel hate! How interesting and insightful to read!

...Also, seriously, never use the term 'Q-Gon' again, it's stupid.

Cryo, I wish I could like this post a million times over!

Cryogenic and Darth_Martus like this.
  23. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    They won't ignore the PT but they won't go out of their way to reference it.

The PT is forgotten by the characters in the SAGA. We as the audience are the ones who will remember the lost tales of the jedi before the rise of the empire. Luke doesn't know anything about the old jedi in the OT. Their history and existence has been somewhat erased by the empire.

The only references we might get are through force ghosts talking of the past and such. or a familiar locale.

But yeah, they can't just say the PT didn't happen. Why? Because its Episode VII, which means there were 6 films before.

24. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    I may have misheard him, but didn't Lucas say he made his deal with Disney to 'protect' the Star Wars films? The PT are Star Wars films, and Ignoring it, doesn't seem like 'protecting' it.

25. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    We have no proof that they are ignoring the PT.

If Darth Vader is mentioned, then by default they are not ignoring the PT.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.