main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Following Takes Place Between 35:3:8 and 39:3:7 of the GCW. Events Occur in Real Time.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 3, 2013.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The2ndQuest

How will you work in the events from Brian Wood's Star Wars? The exact time placement isn't exact and it doesn't (based on what we see so far) mesh perfecting with old EU canon.

On a bright note (at least from a Fleet Junkie perspective), the shots of the Rebel Fleet show only very few MC80 Home One-type cruisers, which DOES fit with canon.

--Adm. Nick

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll be mentioning Stenax. For Star Wood, though, I only intend to cover the first arc, since that's all that will be finished by time we get to 2 months ABY.

If the series placement gets pushed back to 6 months to accommodate recent continuity concerns, then I may expand that scope to cover the second arc as well.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Speaking of which, what is our best estimate for how long the Rebels occupied Yavin post-destruction of the Death Star? Based on Brian Wood's series, do we assume it is after the final evac and the various battles around the region (ie, Ackbar's feint in the Vallusk Cluster)?

--Adm. Nick

4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The evacuation has always been dated at 6 months, right?

By the way, I just read issue #1 of that series. Apparently, "a few short months" after Yavin, "Mon Mothma and Commander Ackbar" have been... doing something. So there you go with Ackbar.

P.S.: I am more confused than ever about Han's reward money. Was someone in the Alliance trying to bribe him? Does Mon Mothma want to sleep with him? How the hell does he always have money after losing it and then returning it?

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Nope. :p Earlier sources assumed that the Alliance was blockaded on Yavin for closer to the full three years. In Marvel #16, Jimm Starkiller implies that several months to several years have passed since Marvel #10. The original Essential Guide to Characters takes this view, and I think the old Adventure Journal NewsNets date events from the Classic Star Wars series using this assumption as well.

The novelization of TESB states that less than a month had passed since the establishment of Hoth base, and was also the first source to state that three years had passed in between movies. The Star Wars newspaper strips (later Classic Star Wars) showed the Alliance escaping directly to Hoth from Yavin, and establishing a base there immediately thereafter. This is probably what caused other sources to place the evacuation just before TESB, not months after ANH.

I think the Essential Chronology was the first to push all the Yavin related stuff into a six month period, breaking up the Classic Star Wars storyline in a way that is not really supported by the comic. Under this retcon, the Alliance evacuated to the Hoth system, and even started construction on a base, but decided to keep its options open for awhile. I'm not really sure what the reasoning behind this was, as it makes it difficult to put all the Yavin stories in such a short amount of time. It does make more sense than assuming the Empire left the Rebels on Yavin for almost three years. :p

There was a weird period where it seemed that only one year had passed between ANH and TESB; the Galaxy of Fear series seems to make this assumption. Thank goodness that was later disregarded. Scoundrel's Luck also seemed to indicate a short passage of time between films; the Executor is already operational and Han Solo encounters the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell just one month after Yavin. And while he's hardly an expert, Weird Al seems to think that only a week passed between films. ;)

Wait, is "a few short months" the only time indicator in the comic? Does it ever specify "two months" after the Battle of Yavin?

That's one of the mysteries of the time period. ;) We know exactly why Han didn't pay off Jabba right after ANH; he had the reward money stolen by Crimson Jack and he lost it gambling on Ord Mantell and he returned it to the Rebels because he was a better person. We also know that he made efforts to square things with Jabba over the years by paying him back with pirate treasure, rescuing his nephew Grubba, and saving his stand-in on Orleon. We even know that Han managed to end up back in Jabba's debt by losing another load of Kessel spice and destroying Crimson Jack's pirate ship. Han even notes in Rebel Mission to Ord Mantell that Jabba isn't interested in payment any more; he just wants revenge.

But even amongst all the contradictory stories about Han's reward and bounty hunters on Ord Mantell, no story ever has managed to explain how Han is apparently in a position to pay off Jabba at the beginning of TESB. (Taking just the films into account, Han apparently just kept the reward for three years....)

Han goes to Tatooine in Marvel #81 to retrieve some funds, so it's possible that this is the money he was going to pay Jabba with. He also is in debt to another Rebel pilot in the Marvel comics, so it's possible that's where he got some of the money. It's possible that Han doesn't even have enough money and was just sacrificing himself to Jabba to keep the bounty hunters from discovering the Rebel base. But we don't know because it's never been explained, ever. [face_laugh]

TC

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One of the more interesting possibilities I hope to explore on the side is how long the events depicted in the first 6 months actually take- and, if there is down time, if they can be compressed even further. This became especially more interesting following the continuity concerns in Star Wood.

Obviously, the Yavin Base segment of history has to span months by necessity (what with there being at least a month til Vader's Quest, etc). But if things actually can be fit into a 2 or 3 month period, that might solve a lot of problems and open space up for other events.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Vader's Quest, IIRC, has to be within one month - Luke makes the comment about "two princesses in the same month", or something similar.

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    On that note, are you going with Vader learning Luke's last name in Vader's Quest and his first name later in Marvel 35, or are you treating them as separate accounts of the same event?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm taking the breakdown that jumps back and forth between them- which should be the last-then-first approach.

10. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Thanks for the detailed breakdown, TalonCard. It put me in my place, as I now realize that I know next to nothing about this period. Which is why this thread is so exciting for me! [face_party]

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    35:3:13-35:3:20

(See later update on To the Last Man and Real Science Adventures #1 & 2)

35:3:21

After having spent "almost two weeks at the base", Luke trains with his lightsaber and a remote in the jungle with Artoo (though he has been unsuccessful at using the Force to move his lightsaber through telekinesis) .

The Alliance intercepts an Imperial message indicating that the Empire will not be moving on Yavin just yet. It's mentioned that, by this point, it has already taken the Empire longer to regroup than the Rebels expected. Dodonna already has scouting missions deployed for a new base.

The message also reveals what the Empire's retaliation for the Death Star's destruction will be: the specific targeting of Alliance leadership, particularly the pilot who destroyed the Death Star (once his identify is discovered). As a result, the involvement of Luke and the others' role in the Battle of Yavin has become classified.

On Coruscant, Commander Soresh summons X-7 to assign him the task of infiltrating the Alliance and taking down it's leadership. (Rebel Force #1: Target, chapters 1-4)

35:3:22
    (TWO WEEKS ABY)

With General Rieekan expecting Leia on Alderaan's sister world of Delaya, General Dodonna tasks Princess Leia with a mission to undertake on their way there: travel to Muunilist and recover secret Alliance funds to help replace the significant loss of Alderaan's Rebel funds.

X-7 infiltrates Yavin Base using older security codes (perhaps acquired through Rogen from SW Kids?) and determines that following Leia will be his best chance of discovering the identity of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star. He finds out the Falcon's destination before escaping the base.

Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie and the droids take off in the Falcon while X-7 forms of the identity of Tobin Elad. He sets up a false Imperial ambush of the Falcon for "Tobin" to save them from. Though his efforts result in a crash landing on a moon near Muunilist, the Rebels (after fending off a Reek) recover Tobin and bring him back to the Falcon to recover. (Rebel Force #1: Target, chapters 5-9)

"Look, Princess, I don't know what it's like where you come from, but where I come from, you shoot the giant scaly monster that's trying to eat you." (Han Solo, Rebel Force #1)​
    "[Threepio's] probably on his way back to the ship right now... unless he stopped to impress a reek with one of six million languages. Or fell in a ditch." (Han Solo, Rebel Force #1)​

35:3:23

After "nearly a day" of medical treatment and recovery, X-7/Tobin Elad wakes up aboard the Falcon and begins his attempts to infiltrate their group as a reluctant ally. X-7 spends the day feigning weakness during recovery as the Falcon orbits Muunilist.(Rebel Force #1: Target, chapter 10)

35:3:24

X-7 spends another day feigning weakness in orbit over Muunilist as the Rebels decide what to do with him. (Rebel Force #1: Target, chapter 10)

35:3:25

Deciding to trust Elad, the Falcon lands on Muunilist. They arrive at their contact's, Mak Luunim's, apartment, where they are ambushed by Stormtroopers. After escaping they find that Mak has died and that Nal Kenuun has acquired his assets- including the datacard with the Rebel funds.

"Now, I'm not saying all Muuns look alike, but just between you and me-" (Han Solo, Rebel Force #1)​
    (Remember this quote for later...)​

After inquiring about Nal, they are attacked by a Dug and his street gang. Though successful in fending off the attack (killing the Dug in the process), they are brought down by tranq darts and shocked unconscious by forcepike-wielding Stormtroopers.

They awaken in a dark chamber/holding cell with the troopers guarding them. (Rebel Force #1: Target, chapters 11-16)

35:3:26

"Hours crept by. Maybe days" in the dark before they are visited by Kal. The troopers work for him, as did the Dug. He claims he'd normally be willing to return their property (the datacards) but since they took something of his (the Dug), they'll need to earn the datacards.

Given little choice, Luke agrees to Kal's proposal: win a podrace for Kal 48 hours from now using the podracer that the Dug would have piloted and he'll return the datacards. (Rebel Force #1: Target, chapter 16)

35:3:27

Luke practices with the podracer, but it overheats and explodes, forcing Luke to bail out. He spends the rest of the day at the campsite studying the track map while Han and Chewie get a drink at a bar with other racers under a large tent. Their involvement in the Dug's death eventually results in a bar fight. (Rebel Force #1: Target, chapters 17-19)

35:3:28

Using another pod provided by Kal, Luke wins the podrace. Afterwards, the heroes go to Kal's apartment to retrieve their datacard. Kal tries to force Luke to stay to race more (under the pretense of repaying the cost of the lost pod) by trying to collect on the bounties posted on Han and "Tobin".

After a firefight, and threatening Kal's pet baby Krayt Dragon, the heroes manage to escape with safe passage off the planet.

"That's why you're such a softie about the dragon? Because it can make you money?"​
    "What other possible value could any creature have?" the Muun asked distainfully.​
    "Not everything's about money." Han said. Leia glanced sharply at him, surprise in her eyes. So that's what she really thinks of me, Han realized. She thinks I'm like him.​

Having gained the Rebels' trust, (and asked by Leia to join the Alliance) X-7 reports in to Soresh- believing he has a lead on the pilot's identity. The Falcon jumps to hyperspace, heading for the Alderaan system. (Rebel Force #1: Target, chapter 20-22)

35:3:29
    (THREE WEEKS ABY)

Yoda converses with Obi-Wan on Dagobah about Luke's training. The Falcon exits hyperspace in the Alderaan system- but must contend with flying through the Graveyard asteroid field on their way to Delaya.

On Delaya's surface, they meet up with General Rieekan, who has been organizing both Alderaanian refugees and attempting to form a Rebel cell from them on the planet for the past few weeks.

"At least the situation can't become any more dire."​
    "Don't you know better than to jinx us with-" (alarm goes off)​
    "What was that?"​
    "That was the situation about to get more dire. A lot more."​
    (See-Threepio and Han Solo; Rebel Force #2)

The Prime Minister and Deputy Minister takes Leia on a tour of the refugee areas when an orphan attempts to lure Leia away. Luke goes in her place and is kidnapped.

"Creating orphans was the Empire's specialty." (Luke Skywalker's thoughts; Rebel Force #2)​

He is brought to a warehouse, revealed to be one of the actual refugee camps- a warehouse stuffed with a thousand people in terrible conditions. The kidnappers had hoped to grab Leia to show her the truth here. Luke manages to convince them to let him go, promising he'll bring Leia to see this.

"Alderaan was a peaceful planet, until the Princess and her father dragged it into war. Now we bear the consequences of her rash actions." (Halle Dray; Rebel Force #2)​

Han and Leia go to meet with Luke at the warehouse, but are confronted by a gang of youths. They're assisted by the surprise appearance of Fess Ilee- an Alderaanian courtier Leia knows well (he's secretly Ferus Olin, who has been watching over Leia as Obi-Wan did Luke).

After meeting with Luke (not revealing the kidnapping part of today's events to her) and meeting the refugees, Fess is introduced to Luke (and is offput by Luke's surname) and is given the devastating news of Obi-Wan's death.

Later, he confers with Obi-Wan's spirit, who convinces Ferus not to reveal Luke and Leia's true heritage to them yet. (Rebel Force #2: Hostage, chapters 1-10)

35:3:30

Leia holds the Alderaan memorial service for the refugees, providing a touching speech before opening a capsule for the survivors to place objects in, so that the capsule can be sent out into space in memory of Alderaan.

Halle Dray confronts Leia, upset that she'd be recruiting more Alderaanians to die for the Rebels.

That night, Halle heads a meeting of individuals, including Fess, who plot to disrupt a meeting of Rebels with Leia the next day by kidnapping her. Fess later warns Leia. (Rebel Force #2: Hostage, chapters 11-12)

35:3:31

Though the Rebels rescheduled their meeting as a precaution, Leia is still kidnapped- Halle's group having counted on Fess's betrayal. Halle makes a deal with the Imperials to hand Leia over in exchange for a New Alderaan for the refugees to settle on.

Despite a near-successful escape attempt, Leia is taken into Imperial hands- though the Imperials betray Halle and kill her. Leia is handed over to an Imperial interrogator, who prepares to use a strong (and dangerous) truth serum on her.

Luke, Han, Chewie, Ferus and Elad manage to track down Leia's position and fight their way through the compound to rescue her. X-7 gets to Leia by himself first, before the interrogator can use the serum.

X-7, however, injects her with the serum himself without her realizing it (using the burn from a blaster bolt used to free her to cover the injection). She confirms to X-7 that the pilot who destroyed the Death Star is Luke.

The others arrives just after this and take her to safety. (Rebel Force #2: Hostage, chapters 13-19)

35:4:1

Having recovered some from the drug, and with word of Vader arriving the next day, the Rebels get ready to leave- but not before Leia confronts the Delayan leader with the conditions of the refugees, threatening to connect him to Rebel actions and leak that knowledge to the Empire if he doesn't give in to her demands. Ferus also declines to join the Alliance.

"I'm sure Vader wouldn't blame innocent Delayans for the actions of its leader, but then,,,"Leia's chest tightened so much she could barely force the words out. Saying it out loud doesn't make it true, she promised herself. "The Empire didn't hesitate to fault the people of Alderaan for my actions, did they? I brought down their wrath on my planet...what makes you think I couldn't do the same to yours?" (Princess Leia; Rebel Force #2)

Afterwards, Han and Leia have an abnormally angry argument. Elsewhere on the Falcon, X-7 reports to Soresh with Luke's name. (Rebel Force #2: Hostage, chapters 20-22)

"Where's all this coming from, Highness?"​
    (exploding) "Stop calling me that!"​
    (wanting to apologize, smirks) "You want me to stop calling you that? Then how 'bout you stop sitting up there on your throne and judging us peasants?"​
    (truly angry) "I don't have a throne anymore! The Empire blew it up!" (Han taken aback at the anger) "I fight for something greater than myself. So does Luke. Elad. But you? Nothing's greater than the great Han Solo, right? You don't care what the Empire does, if it doesn't directly affect you. Who knows if you care about anything."​
    (growls) "Don't tell me how I feel."​
    "Do you feel? In that case, I guess I'm wrong, you're not heartless.There's only one other reason for you to behave like you do. You're a coward."​
    (slams fist down) "That's what you think, princess?"​
    "That's what I think, captain."​
    "I don't know who you're really mad at, princess, but it's not me. Deal with it, don't deal with it, I don't care. But leave me out of it." (walks away)​
    (Han Solo and Leia Organa; Rebel Force #3)​

35:4:2

Back on Yavin 4, Han and Chewie, wanting to pay back Jabba the Hutt and avoid Imperial hits (and, probably with Han motivated by his recent heated fight with Leia), say their farewells and depart the Rebels. (Rebel Force #1: Target, Star Wars # 7: New Planets, New Perils!)

Later that day, after passing by (or stopping off at? hard to say) a few different ports along their route, the Falcon is attacked and boarded by a former Imperial cruiser now run by the Criminal Corsair, the Redbearded Raider, the Pantsless Pirate, the Buccaneer Without Britches, the Trouserless Terror, the Man-Leg Marauder, the Stealer with Speedos, the Drafty Desperado, the man whose chaffing holster makes him holla: Crimson Jack!

[​IMG]

Crimson Jack and his crew take possession of Han's reward money but let Han and Chewie go in the Falcon afterwards, reasoning they'll may be able to steal from him again in the future. The Falcon makes it's way to a spaceport (not on Aduba) so her crew can try to figure out their next move. (Marvel # 7: New Planets, New Perils!)

Some Rebel Force #1 notes:

3PO: "Still, we must get the lasers back online, Captain Solo. Otherwise I'm afraid I estimate our odds at seven thousand, three hundred thirty-six to-"​
    Han: "What did I say about quoting me odds?"​

To which my reaction is "Nothing. You don't tell him for 3 more years." ;)

-Muuns are given special privileges in the Empire. I wonder if that's because of Plagueis?
    -Muunilist is said to be the first big city Luke has ever visited (though Marvel will have another first time for this experience later on).
    -Someone comments that the "whole galaxy heard about the Death Star".

"A lightsaber's not a weapon," Luke said, echoing what Ben had told him, "It's a tool, to focus the Force."​

Whatever happened to "this weapon is your life!" & "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight..."? ;)

Rebel Force #2:
    -First appearance of Yoda and Dagobah, as well as Obi-Wan's spirit communing with anyone other than Luke.
    -I think this also the first asteroid run we've had.
    -Han dwells on their crazy plan of infiltrating the Imperial facility dressed as Stormtroopers- but that it had worked before. Between ANH and SW Missions, he ain't kidding. ;)
    -I'm postulating that there is a break in time on page 186, when it jumps to Yavin IV with X-7's bike bomb ponderings that we'll see happen in Book 3 later on. Luke's various missions while Han is away keep him and X-7 apart (or X-7 simply didn't have an opening he could take where Luke's death could look like an accident until later- he's a patient fellow).
    -Even though there is a mention of Vader in this book, we never see him or confirm his presence.

Soresh is convinced Vader is involved, and Leia is told that Halle dealt with an imperial who reports directly to Vader. But there's nothing to directly confirm Vader is around, especially to the Rebels (the Imperials don't really matter).

Sooo, Luke's later revelation on The Wheel that Vader is alive can still track- it;s just confirming existing suspicions/theories. Afterall, the whole Scoundrel's Luck hunt for Vader would precede that anyways, so there was always the suspicion he was still alive.

I have no information on the Heist short story from SW Insider that is set before Scoundrels, but depending on the chronology of those events in relation to Scoundrels, I would assume it takes place on this day or sometime in the prior few days.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Marvel #7 establishes Crimson Jack's pirate crew as the Falcon's first passengers since Luke & Kenobi (Tobin would be an exception- but he was more of a "rescue" than a passenger initially). There is a split between the Jack scenes and the Falcon landing on Aduba, allowing us to move into Scoundrels (which I'm still reading but hopefully will have the first entry or so available for tomorrow).

Also, I've obviously taken "almost two weeks" to it's extreme limit here- we could theoretically place the Target opening chapters a couple days earlier and still swing that description if we needed to.

Likewise, nothing states that Marvel #7 has to be the same day, but I think that makes enough sense, especially since I'd prefer to condense events where possible unless stated otherwise.

Rebel Force #1 publisher summary:
    The Death Star has been destroyed. But back at the Rebel base, the celebration is over. The Alliance has intercepted a coded transmission, indicating that the Empire is determined to discover which pilot was responsible for the destruction of the Death Star. New security protocol is in effect: The details of the Death Star mission are now top secret, and no one is to know that Luke fired the decisive shot.

But that's hardly the Alliance's only problem. Almost all their finances were lost with the destruction of Alderaan – and they are out of money. Their last hope is to access the secret accounts on Muunilinst, the former home of the InterGalactic Banking Clan, and the financial heart of the galaxy. So Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, and the droids head for Muunilinst.

The Empire's top assassin will be waiting for them.

Rebel Force #2 publisher summary:
    The deadly assassin contracted by the Empire, X-7, is closer than ever to discovering the identity of his target. He's already infiltrated the top levels of the Rebel Alliance and gained Leia's trust. But he still hasn't been able to get Leia to give up the classified information he needs.

After all, Leia Organa is unbreakable: the youngest, toughest member of the Galactic Senate, and after its dissolution, the fiercest opponent of the Empire. She's survived kidnapping and torture under Darth Vader, but she's never had to do anything more difficult than her latest mission. She is going home.

And X-7 knows it will be the perfect opportunity to destroy her.

Star Wars #7 was reprinted in Classic Star Wars- A Long Time Ago... Volume 1: Doomworld and in Omnibus A Long Time Ago... Volume 1.
    Rebel Force #1: Target is still available.
    Rebel Force #2: Hostage is still available.

Couldn't he simply be leaving the Rebellion to go out to make back what he owes Jabba? Working for the cash-strapped Rebellion probably wasn't paying him well enough for him to reach his debt in a reasonable timeframe.

12. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Are you referring to the panels in page 2 of SW#7?

Here's what Han says:

So it would appear that, for some reason, they did not enter hyperspace until they left the Yavin system. I assume the three panels in question show locations in the system -- there's a dinosaur planet (moon?), what should be an orbital greenhouse, and debris in space.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That could be stretched to cover one junction in a multi jump course- in other words, there's some distance from their last jump-out point before they can make the final jump to Tatooine.

14. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    That's possible, but other sources have indicated that the original sum has ballooned to an astronomical amount and that the number and quality of bounty hunters out for Han's head makes it incredibly dangerous for him to go anywhere. I'd at least like to know how Han plans on earning enough to cover a wrecked Star Destroyer and three years interest. ;)

TC

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Afaik Heist is implied to be several months before Scoundrels as the gems the Kitik sisters steal are said to enable them to life for a few months without needing another job.

Well of course by stealing another Star Destroyer for Jabba. :D

16. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Thanks for the Heist placement! I'm so behind on the Insider short stories. :( One day I'll be able to afford a subscription again...

See, that's the story we need. :D That's why Han has to leave Hoth; he has to pick up a Star Destroyer on the way to Tatooine. It's like how Pete is always trying to get back to his dreadnaught in Darths & Droids...

TC

17. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    He was going to tell Jabba there's a perfectly good Star Destroyer just waiting to be salvaged named the Vector. [face_mischief]

Gorefiend and TalonCard like this.
  18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It would certainly explain 3Pos worried comment about Han attacking a Star Destroyer with the Falcon, maybe he tried to board one before. :p

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm almost halway through Scoundrels right now, so I'm going to break format a bit here and give a single breakdown of this half of the book's events for the next 2 weeks. I'll then use it (alongside the backhalf of the novel, obviously) as a framework to graft on the other concurrent stories we were discussing earlier.

By time everything is said and done, we'll be caught up to real-time. Mainly this'll help group together some of the more uneventful days.

Also a slight correction to my last update (kinda): Han doesn't go straight from Jack to Wukkar, as he references an "Ord Mantell drop".

So, I'm going to assume those events took place today (and don't last for more than just today), with Han arriving on Wukkar tomorrow.

Also, could anyone give me an idea of the setting for Winner Takes All?

Scoundrels SPOILERS ahoy!

(details revised: 5/30/13)

First off, as backstory, the attack by Villachor on Eanjer's family (and the theft of their wealth) took place three weeks before he met Han in the cantina. This would place these events as occuring on 35:3:12 (same day as Destroy the Liquidator), if we take it at it's exact value.

35:4:2: Han and Chewie are involved in a drop on Ord Mantell, head for Wukkar. Qazadi arrives on Wukkar (Dajya and his companion as well). (same day as Marvel #7's opening)
    35:4:3: Han and Chewie are recruited by Eanjer in Reggilio's Cantina on Wukkar. Han contacts Rachele. See later update on The Keeper's World.
    35:4:4: Han begins recruit search (unclear if Rachele gets back to him on this day or the same day he called her, either way, it doesn't affect the timespan of subsequent events). See later update on Kingdom of Ice.

1 MONTH ABY
    35:4:5: Han and Chewie continues recruit hunt.
    35:4:6: Han and Chewie continues recruit hunt.
    35:4:7: Han and Chewie continues recruit hunt.
    35:4:8: Han and Chewie recruit Bink and Tavia. Chewie secretly contacts Rachele to recruit Lando (3 days before hotel gathering of team).
    35:4:9: Han and Chewie recruit Zerda.
    35:4:10: Han and Chewie recruit Dozer (could be same day as Zerda, doesn't affect event chronology either way).
    35:4:11: Team gathers at their hotel suite, Lando arrives. Team stakes-out mansion, breaks into the Falleen's hotel room later that evening. (8 days since Han and Eanjer met in cantina, "barely 9 days" since Qazadi arrived on Wukkar)

1 MONTH, 1 WEEK ABY
    35:4:12: Caper prep. See later update for the epilogue events to To the Last Man.
    35:4:13: Caper prep.
    35:4:14: Caper prep. (3 days of prep mentioned)
    35:4:15: Festival, Day 1 (off by 1 day of being exactly 2 weeks, as Eanjer estimated, after his discussion with Han in the cantina).

That brings us up to the start of Chapter 10 of the book, though that chapter will be on the same day as 9.

Some interesting notes in that span:

-The Death Star's destruction is known by Imperials, though it's destruction is still rumor amongst the rest of the galaxy.
    -Vader is still missing from Coruscant. (EDIT- it says Xizor is taking actions with Vader's "absence from Imperial Center". This doesn't necessarily mean Vader hasn't returned yet- he could have returned then left.)
    -Kessel spiders being the source of spice is apparently known about by at least some- I thought this wasn't discovered until JAT? Or am I misremebering details from JAT and forgetting details from somewhere else?
    -Han (and others) does not consider himself a con artist- perhaps his experience here contributes to his subsequent efforts?

I'll start filling in the Pizzazz and Science Adventures content over the next week, as well as the remainder of Scoundrels.

20. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    IIRC, it's one of the many, many things from JAT that have been ignored by other sources. I think the Republic comics were the ones that first established it as being a relatively well-known fact, maybe someone else can confirm this.

TC

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, that's right- Quinlan & Aayla's mission on Tattooine that kicked off their respective arcs in Republic...

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, that keeps getting around. I think it's best if we accept that a handful of scientists and top experts on spice knew it, but Doole, as a flunky who took over the mining system, had no idea where the spice actually came from, and so he was operating without knowledge of the spiders and couldn't explain what created the spice or was killing his people.

As for Han not being a con man, Zahn also has Lando drop the same idea. I think it's best to chalk that up to Zahn's tendency to clean up the heroes, and accept that it means that they're not primarily con men or at the highest level of expertise, rather than interpret them as inexperienced in the art of the con.

Winner Lose All, like Heist, serves to introduce some of the new characters in Scoundrels rather than to set up plot elements. It features Lando working with Bink and Tavia at a tournament, and is the first time he meets Zerba, whom Tavia and Bink already know. It and Heist could basically occur any time 2-0 BBY, and given some of the signals in the stories -- like Bink and Tavia being able to live for months off the Heist proceeds, and Zerba having laid low for a while at the start of Scoundrels -- they probably don't occur anywhere in the immediate run-up to Scoundrels.

23. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    A good point, though I get where Zahn's coming from. "We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" is not exactly the response of an experienced con man. ;)

Also, I'm slightly amazed that Han managed to drop off at Ord Mantell without coming back with a bounty hunter story...

TC

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah it gets ignored, but just like the claim that Palpatine did not know about the Maw base it is to unrealistic to be possible. Kessel has been settled for ten thousands of years (Xim fought a battle against the Hutts there) after all and Glitterstim in common use for forever.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, we never did learn exactly what happened between Han and Czethros . . .