main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lucasfilm "dramatic downsizing"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Our very own TFN reported the "TCW Team Reportedly Being Disbanded"

So what does this have to do with EP7? Well if you read further down in the article:

One source familiar with developments at Lucasfilm told me that the changes at Lucasfilm Animation go beyond The Clone Wars team. This individual described a dramatic downsizing of the entire division and said that Disney planned to place future Star Wars TV projects in the hands of its existing television operation. While the source did not name names, it appears likely that veterans of the animation division and The Clone Wars in particular may be leaving the company.

So today it's just the "Animation and TV" divisions moving over to Disney production, tomorrow it could be all of Lucasfilm.... So much for Lucasfilm being in control of Star Wars.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucasfilm was never in control once the sale went through. All parties involved have been very clear on this. Disney has control of the property, they can do whatever they want.

KevinM1, JackG, GGrievous and 4 others like this.
  3. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Well I think saying they can do whatever they want may be overstating it a bit, but in the end yes, Disney is in control now. We are going to see more changes. This isn't your daddy's Star Wars anymore.

4. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    It's not really a matter of if they "could" it's if they "should".

I think a lot of peoples "optimism" was that Disney would "not disturb" the franchise (like how everyone one compared it to the Marvel franchise), but so far it's been postponement, after cancellation after downsizing.

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Well since they aren't doing Clone Wars cartoons or the TV series then you'd hope they didn't just keep all these people around twiddling their thumbs!

Sitara, V-2, LunarMoth and 1 other person like this.
  6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    People should be optimistic. We're getting new movies. That doesn't happen without this sale. Beside, fresh eyes and fresh minds are going to be good for Star Wars. I feel good about this.

New movies>all other considerations

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Not like you can do anything about it, except wait and see.
    Personally, I don't think it's as apocalyptic as some fans make it out to be.
    But oh well, people do love a dose of overreacting now and then.

kevmp, yodasbum, V-2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I can understand it, I liked TCW cartoon and I'm sad to see it go. But with new movies on deck, that's a tradeoff I will take with a smile.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Disney: "I'm in control. I make the rules now."

For better or for worse.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But that's all subjective, isn't it?

While the cancellation of TCW may be bad news for some, I personally think it was the right decision. It was starting to stagnate and it was time to move on. It's all about moving forward and taking Star Wars into the next era with new and exciting things. I mean, we're getting a brand new trilogy and a bunch spin-off films - that's Star Wars back on the big screen! I'm very optimistic about the future and I'm confident Disney knows what they're doing in terms of handling the brand.

11. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    As I recall from the Businessweek article, one of the reasons Lucas agreed to the sale in the first place is that he liked what Disney did (or rather didn't do) when they bought out Pixar. Most likely he was expecting a similar type of hands-off takeover for Lucasfilm. That's why I keep wondering if the warm-and-fuzzy relationship between Lucas and Disney is going to continue once the actual films start coming out.

12. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    How Disney probably handled this:
    Disney Exec: (in Joker voice) This world deserves a better class of Star Wars films… and I’m gonna give it to them. Tell your men they work for me now. This is *my* Franchise. [face_devil]

13. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    It's not the cancellation of TCW which is the problem (well I personally don't like it) but it looks to be the beginning of the inevitable retirement of Lucasfilm.

For the people that only see Lucasfilm as an epic failure, I guess this is good news. But for those who actually liked Lucasfilm, and thought they did wonderful things, it's pretty much the end of SW as we know it. I guess I should have guessed that anything with the word "Lucas" in it would inspire the haters to come out.

I guess this is a game of wait and see, but from my POV, 100% new SW made by Disney with close to zero trace of Lucasfilm, does not have a positive outlook. Our idea that SW will merely be a summer block buster film every 3 years with no substance may be coming true.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They won't break it up completely, they are streamlining. New company sets new priorities.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I will be truly upset if we don't see that "bonus content" promised for Clone Wars series 6. That little clip they showed on the official site looked amazing.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No one ever said that there will be zero trace of Lucasfilm.

[​IMG]

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not bugged by this at all.

18. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Yet.

I don't think a lot of fans originally thought that all these things currently in production would be shut down either.

klooney and Kev Snowmane like this.
  19. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    So the fans may not get the resolution that they were promised what...a week ago? That's ridiculous.

I haven't really seen any of The Clone Wars apart from the movie and a few odd episodes back in 2008, but I've actually been considering giving it a chance. This just feels like a stab in the back of sorts to the fans who've followed the show.

20. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Oh, yeah, sure, Disney's stabbing us in the back, sure they are... and that NEVER happened with Lucas... :rolleyes:

21. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Disney will control the business of Star Wars. They are not stupid enough to trample th creative end of Star Wars. Not yet anyway.

Lucas sold to Disney for one reason: To preserve HIS vision of Star Wars. Disney agreeded and will oversee the ST accordng to their agreement with Lucas, which in part was based on the use of his treatments for the core storyline.

At some point down the road, after the ST, SST, and whatever other treatments GL provided, Disney will explore further expansion of the brand, but right now it is Disney overseeing the production of the stories George Lucas wants told.

Yes, Disney owns Lucasfilm, but Lucasfilm is making the ST.

As far as shutting down TCW and other TV projects goes, I can only look at this as a good thing in the sense that they are focused totaly on making Ep VII AWESOME!

I am not worried at all about Disney's intentions or handling of Star Wars.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    A shame. Honestly, I liked the pre-Disney direction a lot better with TCW and everything we heard about what they wanted Underworld to be. Would've taken that series any day over the Big 3 Ride Again.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Mark Hamill is too fat, Carrie Fisher is too depressed, Billy Dee is too old, John Williams is too lazy to record the opening theme 3 times, Lucas wrote bad dialogue, JJ Abrams uses too much lens flare, and LFL fires everybody they don't actually need...

24. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I was gettin' mad at you until I got to the end of the sentence.......:cool:

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

WatTamborWoo and mes520 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.