main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit More like Plageuis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by FatSmel, Mar 18, 2013.

1. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    That's pretty much what Plagueis was . . . and my intention for this thread

No one said they want a biography, I can see how that could get boring

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    This is exactly why Plagueis wasn't all that good in my opinion.

Here's a conflicting opinion: A biography book would work better if it wasn't written by someone like Luceno. Someone who would try to find a story and connect it to continuity in some strategic places. Not someone who would use a basic story outline to go through all historical entries found in an Essential Guide regarding the 60 years in question, then populate it with all hyperlinks the Wook has for that era.

For me, EU was always better when it created interesting stories and fitting new concepts, not when it tried to boil all elements down to one cohesive glob of universe.

V-2 likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    A Dooku novel is really needed, I'd like to get more insight into that character. The others however ...

4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    The only fear I have with a Dooku novel is that it might ruin the impression I have of him lol :p
    Guess thats something I have to deal with if/when it happens...

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Everything kind of ruins your impression of him after Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

Zorrixor, RC-1991, Sable_Hart and 2 others like this.
  6. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So I heard...and wisely did not read it.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    ****, Yoda: DR was a good novel.
    [face_sigh]

Sable_Hart likes this.
  8. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    A couple friends told me it would ruin my impressionism of Dooku so I stayed away. I'm not saying it's a bad book as I dont know lol.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    If your impression of Dooku is a mustache twirling villain with little to no depth (the TCW version), but you want to keep that impression, I wouldn't read it... if, however, you want one of the best characters studies in all of the EU, I would say read it as soon as possible. It won't ruin your impression of Dooku. It will define it. And it's got awesome Yoda scenes as a bonus!

I would never recommend not reading something because it's too good; that's not a very fun way to go through life. If you're insistent, though, stay the hell away from Stover's Revenge of the Sith novelization. It makes every other Star Wars book look just a bit weaker.

10. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    No I don't care much for TCW version of Dooku.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    After 5 years of TCW, I'm convinced Dooku spent most of the war waterskiing on Glee Anselm while he let his programmed hologram manage everything.

12. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Just finished reading Plageuis, and I was pretty disappointed. There was too much time spent in the past and discussing stupid galactic business and politics. Then when it finally gets to the good stuff around TPM it just jumps around from point to point without enough details about how the characters are reacting to developing events. Not enough Dooku. And they way the being they try to start the clone war... "Hey do you wanna help me grow an army for a war that might happen in the future?"...Sifo Dyas was one stupid Jedi Master. Since when were Jedi so close and trusting with politicians and bankers?

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Guide to Warfare establishes that Sifo-Dyas foresees the war- and figures something needs to be done to ensure the Republic is protected.

14. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    While I really loved Darth Plageuis, I can see your point about it rushing from point to point in the last quarter of the novel. The pace seemed to get more and more rushed as the story approached the end.

"Too much time in the past," though? The novel was meant flesh out the "past," no?

As for your question, "since when were Jedi so close and trusting with politicians and bankers", I think Jedi are supposed to be shortsighted, weakened, and somewhat currupt at this point in the history. As was the Republic government. Things got real shady.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  15. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Okay, I guess the thing about the past is just preference. I would have rather seen more details about Sidious' and Maul's training.

We don't see any weakened, corrupt Jedi in the PT. The way Palpatine and Damask interacted with Jedi just wasn't believable for me. Even Anakin isn't that outrightly trusting of Palpatine in ROTS.

16. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Windu himself said that their ability to use the force was diminished. Just sayin ;-)

17. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Though he is pretty trusting of another politician: Senator Amidalia.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Plagueis wasn't a biography book.

We met Plagueis at 3 times in his life... when he became the Master and found Palpatine, when him and Palpatine became equals, and when Palpatine overcame Plagueis.

19. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Going by where Plagueis leaves off, there are two obvious sequel books, each in a similar format (three 2-year periods, following the two Sith and one of their acolytes, ending with the titular Sith's death):

* Darth Tyranus - Following Dooku, Palpatine and Ventress. First part, the two years after the end of Darth Plagueis, where Dooku tries to track down Sidious, finds out he's Palpatine, and becomes his apprentice. Second part, two years leading up to AotC, Dooku builds the Separatist movement. Third part, two years leading up to RotS, Dooku and Palpatine manage the Clone Wars, and we get their contrasting ideas of what will happen afterwards.
    * Darth Sidious - Follows Palpatine, Vader and Mara. Basically the two years leading up to each film of the OT, with Palpatine's control of the galaxy steadily falling apart, and Vader trying to work out his place in everything.

Formulaic? Yep. But I still think it would be awesome. :D

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I agree. That would make an amazing trilogy.

21. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    See, for me, it didn't read anything like that. Maybe it's because i'm not aware of SW "history" so much but to me it was a semi-flowing self-contained story.

22. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Didn't really like that either. Plagueis was one of the biggest missed opportunities ever, IMHO.

23. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    The galactic business and politics was the best part!
    It's what I love about Luceno SW novels.

24. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Me too. It wasnt bad writing, you just didn't care for the content FatSmel

25. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Don't get me wrong Luceno's detail and explanations are great but could have been used in describing Sith training rather than how the IBC is somehow connected to the Hutts.