main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO If you could create one Star Wars game with unlimited resources, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Cevan, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Simply put, if you had unlimited resources and were permitted to create one Star Wars video game, what would it be like?

2. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    My game would probably be a command and conquer sort of game, set during the Clone Wars. You'd be able to choose your side, Republic or CIS, and you would command their army. You would be able to launch assaults on planets and specific locations on that planet, even being able to launch multiple attacks at the same time and command multiple battles happening at once. You could dispatch various commanders for your side to different planets, and have them target key locations and structures to deliver crippling blows to your enemy. You would also have the ability to setup blockades around planets as well, tightening your grip on the planet. The enemy would have the ability as well to take back planets and locations in battle, possibly even forcing you to order a retreat.

Now, to liven things up, you'd also be able to play as a commander or soldier on your side in an actual battle. Or, you could command your forces from afar inside a command center or ship. If you choose to remain in a command center, one unique feature would be a large holomap of the entire battlefield, which you could use to view how the battle was going, and even target locations to attack. You would also ocassionally get holo transmissions from a troop commander detailing their current situation.

The ultimate goal would be galactic conquest, although this would not be easily achieved. You would also need to setup things such as factories and many other imporant structures on some of your planets. The enemy would also attempt to catch you off guard, and target key locations and worlds that will strike a crippling blow to you.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    A full-blown, open universe 'mercantile' sort of game in the style of Elite, or Privateer. As in, become Han Solo when he's not working for the Rebel Alliance. If you have unlimited resources, then render every planet unique, products and markets all have individual quirks, even different species can be traded with: an obscure species will pay top dollar for soap because it gives them a pleasant, non-addictive high, but won't pay you in credits because they have a religious problem with electronics, for a (weird) example. You'd have the Hutts and/or Black Sun shooting at you as much as the Empire.

4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Unlimited resources?

An action-adventure game with lots of RPG elements thrown in for good measure. It would contains 10 main campaigns taking you all the way from before the Republic was even formed to many decades after the original trilogy.

Possible? No, not even close. :(

5. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    An SWG with a properly staffed development team.

Kyle Katarn, Cevan, TheBBP and 2 others like this.
  6. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    I would create an open world rpg, set between episode 3 and 4. It would focus on the more darker, criminal aspect of the star wars universe. With bounty hunters, gangs and pirates like Black Sun. You would be able to follow different paths, and around 20% game progression depending on your path, you might become a bounty hunter, or join a gang. Which would change the rest of the game. There would be 4 main planets, and some smaller levels to explore.

Story would be very important, aswell as combat and rpg mechanics. And you would meet some famous characters from the saga.

Pretty much a modern combination of Star Wars 1313, Kotor and Shadows of the Empire :)

OldSchoolFan and General Immodet like this.
  7. Hercu Dogla

Hercu Dogla Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    I would follow the open world RPG set that a lot of others are choosing and set it probably during the PT era just because there are more Jedi and far more going on than in the OT or dark times era's. You would start as a Jedi youngling pick your appearance, light saber (style, color, etc) then go through several missions of training as a youngling before fast forwarding to the open world aspect several years later around the time of the clone wars.

From there you would be able to build your character through extensive RPG leveling as you travel the galaxy choosing to help the locals of various planets, participate in space battles, grow your character and meet and fight along side of many characters from the movies and show. Grow your force powers and choose to follow the republic or the empire.

Also I would probably throw some Assasin Creed elements in there in terms of the police or guards when exploring larger towns. So when you do things that are looked down on you attract the attention of guards and the like.

8. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Imperial Knights video game. With the game mechanics of TOR but as an RPG

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd do Bounty Hunter II with Boba Fett, and quite a bit more freedom to roam than the first game. Electric floors and conveyor belts would be off-limits and I'd give the jetpack a bit longer duration.

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    A Battlefront 2 style game with the added options to play in the Old Republic Era and have a campain mode set in the Thrawn trilogy.

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I second Bounty Hunter II. I would also like another podracing game. And/or a game where you have races in mid-air in speeder cars, where you have to follow certain paths through the busy aerial traffic of a city in the Star Wars universe. There can be some levels under ground, some levels on the ground and some levels in the air. Think of it as street racing in Star Wars. Racing in three axis has been done very rarely in the past. Because it's very difficult, for one.

Also, I'm thinking it would be very fun if there was a game where you had to play as an undercover Jedi, infiltrating some criminal elements that have contacts in the higher echelons of the Republic, all the way up to dirty senators. In order to investigate the case, gather evidence and bring down the cartel, you pose as one of them, and consequently have to be very discreet with your Jedi abilities, using them only in subtle, inconspicuous ways. If you use them overtly, your cover is blown. A True Crime: Coruscant, if you will. You climb the ranks by subtly sabotaging the efforts of your fellows, allowing yourself to shine.

12. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    An open world star wars universe where you play as a dark lord of the sith going round to different planets killing everything you see and driving star destroyers into houses :)

Sent via my astromech droid

13. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That sounds like a lot of fun. For 20 minutes.

14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Jump to Lightspeed as a standalone game. Or like mentioned above, Star Wars Galaxies (with JTL of course).

15. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    Ok unlimited recourses how about every world mentioned in star wars is implemented full scale so it might take more than 20 mins to get bored

Sent via my astromech droid

16. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    No, I meant the premise. It's unlimited resources so the scope is not the problem. Your description of your idea is simply a virtual world created for the player's wanton destruction. That's not fun for very long.

17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    That is pretty much what I would do! Only instead of being able to play on four worlds, I would solely focus on one planet. That planet would be Tatooine.
    I would make Tatooine as big as possible. The players should be able to explore the whole planet.

18. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I would make a game based on Lucas' 2nd draft for Star Wars, using Ralph McQuarrie's original character designs. The game will seem familiar, but different enough from what we got as the final movie.

You could choose either the male or female version of Luke Starkiller from the early concept paintings.

The opening cinematic would be similar to Ep 4's opening, with your brother Deak sending R2 and 3PO down to the desert planet of Utapau, to deliver a message to you. He faces Vader and is taken prisoner. Droids get captured by Jawas. They escape the Sandcrawler. Make their way to the Lars homestead, and gives you your mission(to take the Kiber Crystal to your father, on Organa Major). (for more info on the story, google Star Wars 2nd draft, if you're not already familiar with it)

With McQ's original designs:

Han Solo has a beard and cape, and sports a lightsaber.

Chewie looks like a giant bush baby.

C3PO looks more Metropolis

R2D2 is gray

Stormtroopers have lightsabers

Utapau= Tatooine

Organa Major= Alderaan

Alderaan= an Imperial City (a combination of the Death Star rescue, and Bespin's Cloud City) that our heroes go to rescue Deak

There's still a Death Star(seperate from the Imperial City) that destroys Organa Major.

Life likes this.
  19. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well I'm a story-intensive single-player gamer, and I also love strategy games in general, so I'd probably try to combine the two. I might make a game similar to the Total War series in premise (create and manage an empire- lower case e- from one of various factions over a long period of time). Only instead of conquering Europe or the New World or whatever you'd conquer the galaxy! You could have both land and space battles, and could even bombard planets. And you'd have different faction and military leaders that could pick up traits based on how they govern planets and fight battles. You could pick to start in one of several different eras, from TOR (or earlier) or Ruusan Reformation, PT, OT, or beyond and continue playing for hundreds or even thousands of years. As you play galactic events from the films and EU happen and influence the galaxy, factions, and characters. Famous people like Revan or Bane or Princess Leia or Wedge Antilles can come along and be leaders in your faction or those of others, and sometimes scripted events like say the Clone Wars would occur and you'd have to work through it and pick a side or just try to avoid getting caught in the middle. Maybe you need a specific plantet in your territory to get that character (you need to capture Tatooine in the Galactic Civil War era to get Luke Skywalker, for example) Meanwhile aside from conquering you'd also have to manage your own territory and keep the populace happy, so you'd have to invest in infrastructure. Jedi and Sith could be special agents and help in battles and diplomatic missions. Bounty hunters could work as assassins. Smugglers could bring in money, etc etc.

So yeah, basically a Total War game in the Star Wars universe and space battles.:p I really like the turn-based campaign map/real-time battle element of Total War and I want to see that in a full SW game.

I'm thinking you could start in different eras and depending on what era you choose turns will encompass either more or less time. Since you have more history to go through if you start in the Great Hyperspace War era than in the NJO era turns would encompass more time (or you could just condense it and have several different eras as different capmaigns).

I'm thinking playable factions would be:
    Galactic Empire
    Alliance to Restor the Republic/New Republic/Galactic Alliance
    Old Republic (various eras)
    Confederation of Independent Systems
    Hutt Cartel
    Chiss Ascendancy
    Sith Empire (Korriban)
    Brotherhood of Sith
    Hapan Consortium (maybe?)

And maybe some others.

Yuuzhan Vong invasion could be a scripted event and be a non-playable faction that just goes to town on everyone, similar to the Mongols in Medieval II: Total War.

The game would need sound strategic thinking, with the ability to fight and win wars while conquering new territory, while managing a strong economy and keeping the populous happy.

... Or maybe I'd just make a new, up-to-date and extremely large space sim. I miss the Rogue Squadron games. Weed more.:p

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I would create an MMO simalair to the new game Defiance except a lot bigger. You would have huge space battles like in EVE Online and battles on the ground. Ships in space could support ground forces and ground force could shoot at enemy ships. Just a huge game to battle and fight. This could be the story after the ST.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Battlefront 3. More movie levels, all levels from BF 1 and 2, Clone War levels, levels from all of the era's of the EU. DOTJ, TOTJ, KOTOR, TOR, KE, Republic, DT, TTT, RS, DE, CE, YJK, JJK, Invasion and NJO, DNT, LOTF, FOTJ and Legacy. Have more factions. Have 3+ playable factions on a map.

22. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I'd love to see a Grand Theft Auto/ Arkham City style open world sandbox game in the Imperial era where you start off as a lowly citizen on Coruscant, you can then decide to become a career criminal, or a corrupt cop or a bounty hunter or a smuggler and you have to work your way up by undertaking various hits, arrests, bounties, different missions and such like.Then you could buy costumes, armour, weaponry, fancy ships and property.
    You could either work for youself or affiliate with the Hutts, Black Sun even the Empire. And you could, in between missions, drink, gamble, mug people, commit petty crimes or take on small side missions for extra cash.
    I love the GTA and Arkham games and would love to see a game like that set in the Star Wars universe. This actually could have been what 1313 was going to be like. Shame it got binned.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    With unlimited resources I'd have a Manhatten Project for full immersion virtual reality research. With whatever comes out of that I make an MMO with single player and co-op options and world building tools.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I find an offline SWG's concept a great starting point for a Star Wars game. It's a good open world environment with various planets (and cities/towns within them), it has a great space component where you can do whatever you want (smuggle, patrol and defend, scout, pursue), many classes/professions, etc... I would only add more customization (both to characters and vehicles).

25. Artoo Detoo

Artoo Detoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    Call me crazy, but this game is a game that I've had in my head for years.

I'm a huge Pokemon fan, and I'd make a Star Wars RPG (probably for the Nintendo 3DS). It would operate in much the same way that Pokemon and The Final Fantasy Legend worked; battling Stormtroopers, Tusken Raiders, and other villains and getting experience points, having boss levels (Vader, the Rancor, etc.) You could buy items like weapons and medicine. You'd be able to start as Luke Skywalker or Anakin Skywalker (depending on if you are playing the Trilogy Version or Prequel Version), and once you finished the game, you'd be able to play as Han, Leia, Padme, Obi-Wan, etc. I'd probably split the game into Trilogy and Prequels.