main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Happens to Jedi who leave the Order?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kev Snowmane, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    So what does happen when a Jedi quits or is tossed out? Well, more so that quits as I don't think the Jedi really care about those they toss out.

I mean, these people have known nothing but the cloistered life of the Order all their lives by and large. The culture shock of suddenly being dropped into the chaotic, unstructured outside world alone would be immense.

Then there are the practical concerns. Where will they go? What will they do? Since Jedi don't accumulate possessions (or presumably pay), they wouldn't have any savings to fall back on to help get them set up in a civilian occupation. Their skillset MIGHT get them into some sort of Law Enforcement, Bounty Hunting, or Mercenary job, but I can't think of much else...

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I have my personal feelings on this in that I don't agree with the implications that a Jedi should be able to be expelled or just quit, but those are part of canon, so it is what it is.

A long time ago when The Force Unleashed was in production, there was a blog posted on Starwars.com about the creation of the character Marriss Brood, and I recall it being mentioned that Lucas was asked what happened to the survivors of Order 66 and the answer was that some of them become bounty hunters, some became adventurers (still not sure how one makes a living doing that), and that some just took up inconspicuous jobs like becoming farmers to not draw attention to themselves.

But we also see that Dooku left and rallied Republic systems around political ideals, which led to the formation of the CIS.

Ahsoka doesn't really have that luxury since Order 66 is coming soon. If she survives Order 66 (and I don't see why she wouldn't), she would probably have to make a choice as to whether or not to stay hidden like Obi-Wan or Yoda, to become politically involved and oppose the Empire (and put herself back on Vader's radar), to become a bounty hunter like Asajj, or to... become an adventurer (what's the pay like for adventurers these days?)

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Some return to family fortunes (count Dooku), others join warrior cultures (Bardan Jusik), and others still create pirate groups (Komari Vosa and the Bando Gora).

Really, nobody forces a person to join the Jedi or to make it their life commitment. But when you are indoctrinated from a young age to know nothing but life among the Order, it is hard to make the choice to leave without an exterior influence. Dooku had his family connections and the inheritance from his house. Bardan Jusik's extensive work with Mandalorian Mercenaries and their opposing philosophies made him build a second opinion of the order. Komari Vosa became disillusioned with the Jedi's role as peacekeepers after they were manipulated into causing a cultural extermination against the True Mandalorians.

4. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Looking at my OP again, I don't think I asked my question the right way. I get the occupations that they might take up theoretically, but what how does that come about?

Is there a fund that gives them a "grubstake" to help them transition? Some sort of "outplacement" type jobs program to bring their non-Jedi skills up to date to help them find employment? Or is it just they're Jedi one moment, not Jedi the next, and the Order forgets they ever existed except as a bust in the Archives?

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I think failed students join some Star Wars equivalent of of the peace corps, and those students I'm guessing getting assistance from the Order - though that's EU that I only have vague knowledge of from a brief mention in one of the TCW webcomics. But to just walk out as Ahsoka did, she's likely on her own. Like Asajj, she's probably stuck finding her own way by.

6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    They walk down the steps and onto the streets, apparently.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably what regular people do, find different jobs, etc.

8. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
  9. starve

starve Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    Jedi are typically kinda "good at" just about everything. Ahsoka's resume (at approximate 16 years old) includes holding the rank of "Commander" in the military, being a seasoned star-pilot, being almost invincible in close combat against anything but another force adept, telekinetic, and clairvoyant with minor mind-control. If necessary she could just say "you WILL hire me" and it's a done deal.

10. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    100 gold credits a quest I think.

This. Hell, Xanantos even founded his own mining corporation.

11. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Having "former Jedi" on your resume is probably a golden ticket when it comes to 'working in the private sector'. I wouldn't be surprised if former Jedi take up jobs like security consultants or low-level diplomatic officials. Stuff that plays to their strengths, and lets them continue the same kind of work as a Jedi without the often-principled reasons for their leaving that Order.

12. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    By the way, just to correct a misconception - the Lost Twenty are the only twenty Jedi Masters who have ever left the Order. Not younglings, padawans, or knights - just Masters. Padawans can and do wash out all the time, for all sorts of reasons.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And only since about 2000 years before the movies. Though, a lot probably left during the Republic Dark Age that weren't included or accounted for.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It's happened before, hence the lost twenty. Who they were remains to be seen, and considering they weren't Sith like Dooku was, it'd be interesting to know what became of them in the end. Especially if they were Dark Jedi who formed their own evil order.

Maybe the new animated tv show will delve into these characters, who knows.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The first of the Lost Twenty- Phanius- became the Sith Lord Darth Ruin.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You get to keep your badass Force powers, have attachments, go collecting and antiquing, travel, gamble(and use the Force to win); basically have fun!

SithLord_1270 and TaradosGon like this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Set Harth is the wisest Force user ever. That guy had it all figured out.

18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I do wish we could know more about the Lost Twenty. The only two we know of are Dooku and Phanius (three counting Anakin/Vader as the 21st) and each of them became Sith. I'm sure at least some of the Lost Twenty didn't become Sith

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm interested in that as well. And if it's done right, I wouldn't mind a stand-alone film on Dooku's back story at some point.

20. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I'd be up for that. Suggestions for who could play a young(er) Dooku have, around here, ranged from Tom Hiddleston to Jonny Lee Miller (nice ironic Ewan McGregor connection there) to David Morrissey.

Too bad it's just not going to happen.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Take that last statement to the pessimism thread.

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The Jedi Order will allow you to leave, but when you use your Force powers to threaten others they will react (ex. the hunt for Aurra Sing).
    Some of the Jedi just left the Jedi Order to disappear (Vergere's Master). Some Jedi joined Dooku (Sora Bulq). Some Jedi made themselves kings (Beldorion the Hutt).
    Some Jedi did not really leave the Jedi Order, but they did not really take orders from the Order (Master Zao). Some Jedi became Grey Jedi (Hal).
    Some Jedi questioned the Jedi Order, only to return (K'Kruhk).

23. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    In Ahsoka's example, I would imagine she could pretty easily sell her services as a star pilot. If I had to guess I'd say she went to live with that group of Togruta she helped save in that one episode. I bet they'd welcome her with open arms.

24. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Try to find a new occupation. But in Ahsokas's case, I think she is headed back to Onderon & Bonteri

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "And I....will...aaaaalllllwaaayyysss...love....you...."

[face_sick]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.