main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Will there be any billion dollar movies in 2013?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 19, 2013.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    No.

MrZAP and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No no, or no yes?

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe jp maybe.

Darth Guy likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes it should.

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Personally, I'm not mentally strong enough to stay away from Hobbit Episode 2, Attack of the Frame Rate. Once the trailer comes out, we'll all be gushing again about how magnificent the whole thing looks. Trailers work their magic even when we should know better. Except for the Incredible Burt Wonderstone trailers. They sort of worked in reverse, making me think the movie could not be as bad as the advertising was trying to make it look.

But it's interesting that 2012 had 4 $1 billion movies: Avengers, Skyfall, Dark Knight, and Hobbit. The most ever, despite 3 of those 4 movies being surprisingly mediocre, bordering on bad. Global audiences have even worse taste in movies than American audiences. Chinese box office growth seems to be playing a role in the ability of Hollywood studios to make a killing by feeding recycled landfill waste to paying moviegoers.

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    That's the most reassuring thing I've read about China in 15 years.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The next and very anticipated installment in a multibillion dollar franchise will not do well at the box office. Yeah, it can happen...

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone knows that M. Night's new movie After Earth will make so much money that it'll cause a New Great Depression.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Your post reads like the plot of a Shyamalan movie.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The good thing about Abrams ST is that it works as a sequel, prequel and reboot. So really it should work for and appeal to everyone.

Not everyone agrees.
    None of them were Michael Bay CGI noisefests

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Dark Knight Resurfaced was about as silly a movie as I've ever seen. Skyfall had one of the most pointless and bland Bond villains in decades and the Hobbit made a mess of a classic children's story by doubling down on all the things about it that were never good to begin with.

And the moneymaking secret of Avengers was that no single superhero was given enough screen time to be able to bore audiences the way Thor and Captain America and the other Hulk movies. It's hard to fail by playing directly to people's short attention spans.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    People in ridiculous costumes are always going to be silly, just be thankful Batman wasn't wearing his pants on the outside.

I fail to see how a movie not being totally accurate to the source material makes it bad. It is not a copy, it is an interpretation and so long as it is done well it should be judged on its on merits as a movie not by how much it is like the thing it is based on.

And Javier Bardem is awesome, just sayin'

MrZAP likes this.
  14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't have a problem with loose adaptations, as long as they offer up a compelling artistic vision. Judging Jackson's movie on its own merits: awful. I think it got a free ride on the coattails of goodwill left over from Lord of the Rings, which is entirely understandable. But as with Star Wars EP2, the middle Hobbit film has a higher chance of shedding fans.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Or that Nolan's Batman didn't have nipples on his Bat armor.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm pretty pessimistic about his year's chances of having many profitable movies. Maybe G.I. Joe 2 will make all the moneys up in here yo?

17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I'd put Ender's Game up as a potential dark horse here; I doubt it will, but if it's marketed well it might have a chance.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There are two hopes of Enders topping a billion; no and bob.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if any film this year is going to break the billion mark it's this one!

20. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    starring adrian brodee!

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

?? Iron Man grossed $318,298,180, IM2 grossed $312,057,433 ..... so what are you talking about multibillion dollars?

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Ender's Game isn't going to be a box office smash. People are already raising the decibel level on the complaints about Orson Scott Card's anti-gay politics, for good reason. The author of one of my favorite sci fi books is a complete tool IRL.

Diggy likes this.
  23. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    That's a rather...interesting way to view it. I think Avengers was successful because it was just plain fun. People like to have fun at the movies.

Not being fun is ok for Batman or Skyfall since brooding and boring is sort of central to the characters involved. But for the most part, people aren't going to pay to see the same movie more than once unless they had fun the first time (unless it's TPM, but that's a whole other psychological ordeal about denial and stuff). Superman will not break $500 million unless it ends up being way more fun than the previews imply. I doubt it, though.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
  25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's a part of me that really wants this new Superman re-boot to fail, and fail miserably, since Superman has always been my least favorite superhero character.