main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

With all the negativity about the Disney buyout let's look at it in a positive light

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darkchrono, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    With all the negativity about what people perceive Disney has done to the Star Wars franchise since Lucas the sell let's look at it from a positive viewpoint.

What would have happened to Star Wars had Lucas not sold it? More than likely there would be no more movies and if there were they would be movies made by Lucas being the head man in charge. Now that Disney has bought it they will have quality directors and quality writers creating the movies and scripts and they will more than likely be making movies for years and years to come (perhaps even after all of us are gone).

In regards to television there is now a vast amount of options that they can (and more than likely will) create television shows for.

The Star Wars franchise will now be owned by a solid company who knows how to create solid movies. If Lucas had not sold it Star Wars would likely be passed down to his kids (considering that a lot of the shows I saw her work on in TCW dealt heavily in Witchcraft I would not be excited at all to see how she would handle things if she was in charge of it).

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Wasn't Lucas planning the Sequel Trilogy before the Disney acquisition? Pretty sure he said so in that big interview he did.

3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
  4. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Perhaps but that still doesn't change the fact that the new movies are in better hands now and have a much better chance at going on for a long long time.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  5. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    That thread hasn't been posted on for several weeks.

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Well, if Disney can bring a fresh approach to the franchise that has often been oversaturated with SW material during the past 15-odd years, then I would certainly look forward to what they have to offer. I agree that Lucas has seemingly become less and less inclined about making new films, although work on the ST has begun in earnest even before the purchase. Perhaps LFL's worst enemy should Lucas still be in charge is complacency. If that was indeed the case, then the Disney purchase can offer new perspectives and ideas on the series that may not have been explored before. Still, I feel that the transition of ownership from Lucas to Disney could really have gone more smoothly, and it really alienated a lot of fans with how Disney has abruptly ended TCW, Detours, and other media. I hope that all of this is worth it with whatever future projects Disney has planned in addition to the ST. As I mentioned in another thread, we really have to take a wait-and-see approach, since it may be a few years down the line before we even get the new television series, what with all the planning and production that's involved.

To sum it up, I am cautiously optimistic, but also bracing for the worst.

07jonesj likes this.
  7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    We don't know that they're in better hands. That's not a "fact".

Also, I think Star Wars will go on whatever happens. Even if Episode VII is an absolutely terrible movie, it'll probably still make money.

Valairy Scot and Circular_Logic like this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Disney seems to be doing well with the new movies development, but poorly in other areas.

Stopping TCW before the end is a mistake as is disbanding the Lucas Animation division, Lucasrts has also postponed the First Assault & 1313 video games it was developing which looked like they would be good. I get they want to focus all resources on the movies, but why stop stuff that is in development and nearly finished and that they would make money from. Good stuff will be successful and rake in the money, it should be allowed to carry on.

Perhaps Lucas should have asked for more franchise protection, he only stipulated that his treatments for the new trilogy be used not that TCW be allowed to run until its conclusion and other company projects be completed. Now Disney is in charge it can cancel what it wants and do things its way.

Sgt Crowfield and Apophis_ like this.
  9. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    All in all I think it was time for TCW to wind down anyway. Any series that tells a story and goes on to long (no matter what it is) starts becoming staganant. TCW already had 5 years and it didn't really need much more than a season or two longer anyway and we will probably still get about a seasons worth of episodes. I think the fans that are mainly complaining about it are the ones that wanted it to go on as long as possible. In regards to the video games. Ehh, video games are about like what the books are.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I expected it to be 5 series, I got the impression that was always the plan. But given how much was left open-ended after the final episode I think one more series to wrap up what happens to Maul & Ahsoka & Ventress who aren't in ROTS (and one of whom was invented purely for the show itself) so we don't have to rely on some sort of tie-in comic or other such thing to tell that story.

I would be unhappy if it was still going on for 8 or 9 series, the Clone Wars were only supposed to be 3 years after all. I have no problem with Disney deciding when it should end, but stopping it with so much left unanswered and when so much material is left unaired seems strange to me.
    I have always hated seeing shows that stop and never have a resolved ending.

07jonesj likes this.
  11. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I don't think you have anything to be upset about unless the bonus material never gets released. Everything so far indicates that it will get released though. TCW will more than likely have a satisfactory ending and won't be as drawn out as it would have been if it were going to have eight or nine seasons.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It depends how much extra material exists though, releasing 80% of the last series will still leave things unresolved.

Also it will depend how the extra material is presented to us. If Disney decide to stick short minisodes on the front of some of their other movies for example I would not be very keen on that.

They could of course do a Lucas and release a full 5 series box-set and then a seperate one with the additional material included. And then a 3D one :p

And as i said, it's not just TCW. I was looking forward to 1313 and now it seems that won't be happening. Given what happened to Battlefrint III and other potentially good SW games it is rather depressing.

13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Well I don't pay much attention to 'C' Cannon so those don't bother me one bit. But for those that do you are probably going to have to get used to 'C' Cannon stuff getting cancelled or decannonized

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not bothered by how canon it is, I just enjoy it because it's Star Wars. I want more games as great as KOTOR, Lucasarts seem unable to deliver that anymore

Darth_Harmon and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think we better judge this after the new movies comes out.

16. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Haha what are we supposed to be positive about? This is the TV forum and as far as Star Wars on TV as of now and probably for at least the next 2 years there is NONE. ZERO. And the next animated show we do get won't be a gorgeous weekly cinematic dose of Lucas level canon produced by LFL but a cheaper generic show from Disney TV animation. I'm as excited about the movies as anyone but beyond that this sucks.

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    He said he started working on the ST after Disney talked to him, to increase the value of his company. He planned for Disney to buy.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    No more Dave Filoni for a while -- that's good, isn't it?

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, so bump it anyway.

20. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Those threads that end up with thirty pages just end up being a big mess to read through and post on.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And 30 separate threads on the same topic aren't a big mess?

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm glad this thread was made because I'm tired of negative people ruining my enjoyment of TCW's cancellation.

If you don't like the cancellation then WHY ARE YOU HERE?

23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm optimistic for the films. Clone Wars I felt needed to wrap up, not so abruptly, but it is what it is. Then there's the prospect of all EU halting in 2014 in the likely event that future Star Wars tales shift to Marvel.

Basically it seems like everything will die off until Star Wars gets "re-launched" by Disney with the new films, and then there will probably be a release of new games, comics, and a new TV show to coincide with that. Yeah, they're killing things people like, but whether what it gets replaced with is better or worse seems like something we'll find out in 2015.

Again, I'm optimistic with Kathleen Kennedy, the original cast, Disney and Abrams all involved. Lucas is too, albeit in a very limited capacity aside from writing the treatments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.