main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pope watch MMXIII

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 11, 2013.

1. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    im also Italian and old Italian people are perhaps the most racist/religious people walking planet earth. I thought the idea of old Italian women having to hang up a picture of a black man in their house being the definition of irony...

ive never met an old Italian person who isn't racist, they have their funny racist Italian terms for black people. I would just love if they were forced to hang a black man in their house all the while theyre cursing in Italian. It would be such a great wake up call for them.. Sadly the church went with the typical status quo as usual, another old white man outta touch with anyone under the age of 80.

and lastly who cares where the pope is from, to say he should be Italian is borderline stupidity, religion doesn't have a geographic paradigm it should follow. Isnt it anyone can be Catholic regardless where theyre from???

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ...as opposed to Elizabeth and Phillip's?

:D

3. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I worked for an old Italian carpenter a number of years ago and he wasn't a racist. I'm sure the rest of the old Italians are though.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well before my time.:p

5. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I mean its no secret how old Italians are super racist. Its depicted in popular media constantly.. Reason being is because they are super racist.

I live in jersey which has a giant Italian population and ill be the first to say theyre super racist. I cringe at how stupid they are sometimes..

Go to any Italian place, social clubs, food stores and drop the word they use for the N word and no one will tell you that's not proper.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    > Its depicted in popular media constantly.

Yeah, popular media depicts everything exactly like it is in reality, like how popular media shows the fringiest scientific explanation to be true and how spies have scifi gadgetry. Just like in real life!

Summer Dreamer and V-2 like this.
  7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    But Vivec! Are you saying Ewan MacGregor didn't burn himself to death in St. Peter's at the height of the last Conclave? Blasphemy!

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Anyone else watching the Installation Mass? At least they have a nice day for it, considering it's outside..

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I missed the beginning (slept late [face_blush]), but tuned in mid-homily.

10. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I recorded it and watched later on in the morning. I just couldn't bring myself to get up in the 4 am hour. Liked how His Holiness got out of his jeep and approached that disabled man. Also liked his homily.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Their wedding was not televised, fyi.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like this Pope so far. However, I hope his reign doesn't turn into a real short one like John Paul I.

13. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Smoke rises from the Jedi Temple and we get the Emperor, smoke rises from the Vatican and we get a Pope. Coincidence?

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Pope Francis urges all religions, and Atheists, to work together to protect human dignity, justice, peace, help the poor, and protect the environment:
    http://news.yahoo.com/pope-urges-religions-those-no-church-ally-justice-154731915.html

Pope also says the celibacy rule for priests "could change" (seems to be coming sooner than the 20-30 years I mentioned earlier!)
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...change-of-celibacy-rule?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=2

And as Bishop in Argentina, even though he strongly opposed gay marriage, he advocated for civil unions:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/pope-francis-civil-unions_n_2917222.html

V-2 likes this.
  15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I didn't know there were any Methodists left. And I don't see how the Pope could conduct a meeting of religious leaders without Joel Osteen present.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What do you think about the Pope calling Atheists "precious allies"?

Pope Francis urged members of all religions and those belonging to no church on Wednesday to unite to defend justice, peace and the environment and not allow the value of a person to be reduced to "what he produces and what he consumes".
    Francis, elected a week ago as the first non-European pope in 1,300 years, met leaders of non-Catholic Christian religions such as Orthodox, Anglicans, Lutherans and Methodists, and others including Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus.
    "The Catholic Church is aware of the importance of furthering respect of friendship between men and women of different religious traditions," the Argentine pontiff told the religious leaders in an audience at the Vatican.
    Speaking in Italian in the frescoed Sala Clementina, he said members of all religions and even non-believers had to recognize their joint responsibility "to our world, to all of creation, which we have to love and protect.
    "We must do much for the good of the poorest, the weak, and those who are suffering, to favor justice, promote reconciliation and build peace," he said.
    Francis told the religious leaders to fight "a one-dimensional vision of a human person, according to which man is reduced to what he produces and what he consumes," which he said was "one of the most dangerous snares of our times".
    While he said history had shown that any attempt to eliminate God had produced "much violence," he reached out to those who seek truth, goodness and beauty without belonging to any religion.
    "They are our precious allies in the commitment to defend human dignity, build a more peaceful coexistence among people and protect nature with care," he said.
    Francis' description of people who belong to no religion as "precious allies" in the search for truth was a marked contrast to the attitude of former Pope Benedict, who sometimes left non-Catholics feeling that he saw them as second-class believers.
    Since his election a week ago, Francis has set the tone for a new, humbler papacy, calling on the Church to defend the weak and protect the environment.
    In another sign of his simpler style, Francis addressed the religious leaders while seated in a beige armchair and not the usual elaborate throne used in the ornate hall for audiences.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "While he said history had shown that any attempt to eliminate God had produced "much violence,""

And whose fault is this throughout history?

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I like being flattered as much as the next guy. "Precious" can be interpreted as possibly a bit patronizing if you're inclined to mistrust the Pope's intent. I would have preferred our "wise and super-intelligent allies."

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I think he was referring to Stalin and other governments that tried to force people to become atheists.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I can live with that. If that is in fact his actual thinking.

21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Which is funny, considering a lot of violence has come from trying to force god onto people.

Maybe the lesson we should learn from this is to not force ideologies onto people. Nah, can't be that.

Juliet316, Summer Dreamer and V-2 like this.
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

V-2 likes this.
  23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

Juliet316, V-2 and Ramza like this.
  24. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I watched this interview with the pope. He says the following (roughly):

1) that relativism, consumerism, and narcissism are forms of idolatry
    2) that people like to say they believe in god, but it's a diluted form of god
    3) that we spend money on pets and on our appearance, and that if anything is left over after that we will give it to starving children
    4) that the denial of Original Sin and a belief in man's self-sufficiency apart from God weakens faith, charity, and hope
    5) that we value human productions more than humans themselves.
    6) that we ought to pray with our hearts, to say we believe in jesus, and to remember Jesus Christ and specifically to remember Jesus Christ on the cross
    7) that we disguise ourselves with outer beauty when we don't have the beauty of God
    8) that when we pray we ought not only to ask for things and give thanks, but that we should also give praise to Great God because he is so big, and that we should have adoration for Him

He obviously says other things, but I am not going to transcribe the entire interview. He doesn't mention gay marriage or celibacy because those things, while of great interest to secular society, are not the Church's primary concern.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well that's what the Catholic Church, and many other Christian churches, have believed for at least 100 years.