main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Glad to see that there is an outlet for international fans now. I personally just sent two letters out for my nephew to Iger and Kennedy. The volume of letters from a passionate fan base will make a difference in Disney's perception of the show. Keep em coming! :)

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But the Season 5 finale episode gave Ahsoka a beautiful conclusion to her story line in TCW. I didn't even like Ahsoka for most of her run on TCW, but I liked her and even admired her strength and self-respect in that. And for kids that love her, it has to be a better end to see than something like seeing her getting killed, which a lot of us used to think would be necessary.

3. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    IMO, Ahsoka finished Season 5 on a very strong note, but still uncertain. It was a possible ending to why she was not in Episode 3, but it wasn't the completion of her character arc. Its not about what happens to her, its about how her character evolves. Having her "quit" the Jedi Order is not the end of what she would do as a heroic character. Its like stopping Luke Skywalker's story when he leaves the moisture farm with Obi-wan. Its a strong step for his character, but only a step in his eventual character arc.

Those who don't see that are looking at the broader picture of the Star Wars story and making sure she doesn't get in the way of it. That's fine, but if you want to take a deep dive into Ahsoka's story, as a hero, there are other steps she will take to truly become self-actualized. This story could be told in the Clone Wars or it could be saved for another outlet.

earlchinna likes this.
  4. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There has been an update on the main page about the layoffs... It's good to hear that we will be getting new content, which as I expected a small team will be left behind to finish stuff off. Same article but added at the bottom: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/The_Clone_Wars_Team_Reportedly_Being_Disbanded_150781.asp

"UPDATE: I have spoken to another source close to Lucasfilm Animation who confirmed to me that the division will be proceeding with layoffs. This person stressed that fans should still expect to see the promised story arcs from The Clone Wars' canned sixth season, but reiterated that this and other changes at Lucasfilm were part of a reorientation of the company toward Episode VII and Sequel-related work."

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That's great, it's refreshing to leave the Clone Wars era behind and move on to the sequels.

6. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    It would be more refreshing if they had let them finish the story they have been telling and working on for nearly a decade.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Eh, it's done. Anakin is pissed off at the Council, and Palpatine has shown how well he's running the Republic by serving as sole judge with puppet jurors at Republic trials. Ahsoka went off into the sunset, and some of us can imagine that she goes to Endor and becomes the main course at a feast in 3PO's honor while others can imagine that she and Lux live happily ever after and have pretty hybrid Togruta/Bieberspecies babies. Ventress lives to be badass another day. Win-win.

eht13, Esg and V-2 like this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Agree to disagree.

Esg likes this.
  9. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    More like half agree to half disagree. I agree the show should be brought to a conclusion soon, because A. It can't go forever B. Running out of timeline space.

However, we were so close, maybe only a season or 2 at most from the series finale, when Disney canned it. Capesh?

10. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    This was my feeling as well. It was about time we started wrapping up things. Not to mention two seasons of barely any Ahsoka would of been pretty awesome.

Two more seasons would of been perfect, would of kept us busy until Episode 7 as well.

11. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Just saw on IGN that ABC (owned by Disney) has added a "Save Happy Endings" commercial for this TV show that THEY are about to cancel. They asking for people to tune in or the show is canceled if it gets low ratings. Obviously TCW had no such campaign by its corporate owners, but thought it was interesting since we are right in the middle of the SaveTheCloneWars online and letter campaign. Coincidence?

Conspiracy theory: cancellation announcements are all propaganda to increase interest in a show.

But not likely for Clone Wars cancellation... they actually fired most of LFA, so that is not a publicity stunt.

12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Their jobs were finished, that's not quite the same thing as firing.

You know they were working 2 years ahead of the release schedule in some cases.

13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Tell that to them, they are out of work, some after years working there... and it was unplanned.

For those who haven't seen it, some sites and online groups have organized a Twitter protest scheduled for tomorrow Sat. 3/23 at 9:30 am Pacific. Basically, at the same time, everyone will tweet @disney and @ starwars with the hashtag: #savetheclonewars and a polite but passionate plea to the-powers-that-be to reconsider cancelling the Clone Wars, and allow Lucasfilm to keep producing episodes up to the planned ending. Another very easy thing we can do as fans of the show, and hopefully strength and numbers an passion will make them take notice.

earlchinna and Darth_Harmon like this.
  14. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm going to say this now... this is not going to save the show. Much as I love this show and I want it to continue, I do know that TCW is too expensive to make. The whole production was bankrolled by GL - which is the reason it stayed on for so long. Now he isn't providing his money for it. What cartoon show costs $44million to make? None that I can think of. Disney will not fund for something that will never make the production money back. It's as simple as that.

I don't like this either, but the people protesting need to look at this cancellation from a business point of view.

At least they are still finishing off episodes that were already in production. They have not stopped production completely. That is the light in this dark tunnel. We will still get more TCW.

V-2 likes this.
  15. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'll support the effort if only because I believe that the campaign to save the show might show Disney that there is a need for resolution. At the very least I'd like to see a final arc commissioned or see the next animated series feature a few episodes that tie into unresolved TCW arcs.

Who knows. If they release each arc on blu-ray, and see that it is making them a profit, they'll go ahead on a final direct to video to finish off the series.

the-jedi-prince and earlchinna like this.
  16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    It is never a bad idea to rally for a show you like... Disney is a huge company with a lot of resources and could change their minds if they were convinced. I will argue the point that they could still finish up some of the planned endings for Clone Wars story and character arcs despite the concerns on cost. They have a smaller team right now who could continue to work on episodes but at a slower rate. As I suggested a while back, they could do a couple Clone Wars mini-movies per year, aired on Disney XD and sold on Blu-ray. Focus on the main stories they need to finish off and release these over however long they need. The cost of all the manpower has now been reduced since they layed off so many Lucasfilm Animation employees. So now it will just take a lot more time to get the remaining episodes out.

Its a real shame they did the layoffs as I'm sure it will take so much longer for the skeleton crew to work on episodes, even if they have the animation resources at Disney to help them. Without the pipeline and process set up, it will be harder to maintain the quality they achieved and impossible to produce episodes quickly.

There was an interview with Filoni on IGN back in February relating to the Maul episodes. When asked about Maul's future, Filoni alluded to fans being patient to get answers on what happens to certain characters, and compared it to the long wait between ROTJ and Episode 1. This was before an announcement had been made on the future of the show, but Filoni had to have known something since he was so intimately involved in the production decisions. Its possible he's been planning out a very long timeline to get these episodes produced with less resources.

KenobiSkywalker and QuangoFett like this.
  17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    People should move on. ;)

JackG, eht13, Esg and 1 other person like this.
  18. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    This point has been made before. On the other hand, it's well known that there's a large backlog of unseen episodes. Going by episode production codes, the gap between production times and broadcast dates seems to have been widening. In summary:

Broadcast Season 6 (22 episodes)

Production codes 4.19-4.21 (Clovis arc)​
    Production codes 5.12-5.26​
    4 episodes from S6 production schedule*

Broadcast Season 7 (22 episodes)

22 episodes from S6 production schedule*

A show of support now could easily maximise the chances of the completed or even partially completed TCW episodes (anywhere between 22 and 44) seeing the light of day. It could convince Lucasfilm/Disney that there is a business case for distributing as much new TCW content as they reasonably can given their new strategy. It's unlikely that they will produce anything from the S7 production schedule. However, such support now could make the difference between only a handful of the unseen episodes being released (with the rest of them unceremoniously discarded) and enough of them to provide a satisfactory conclusion rather than a noticeably barebones one. It's all down to the customers convincing the company that there is a business case for not merely doing the barest minimum possible.

These expectations for the conclusion of TCW are not unreasonable. There is no need to "move on".

*James Arnold Taylor and other sources have indicated that "Season 6" is complete. Whether this refers to the broadcast season or the 26 episode S6 production batch is uncertain. Either guarantees a substantial number of completed TCW episodes.

Circular_Logic and 07jonesj like this.
  19. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    And it would be even more refreshing if they had kept on track and wrapped the storyline up themselves within the five seasons they already got, without a parent company having to force them into this. As I've said, TCW was supposed to cover a finite timeline set between two established movies, but Filoni and the writers just kept going without any real sign of finishing it up soon... because they were having too much fun.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not only that, but it was blatantly obvious that they made **** up as they went along.

Esg, 07jonesj and eht13 like this.
  21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that WAC and Gascon appeared in Lucas' original storyline ideas and notes from '75 or '76. :p

V-2 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So did Barriss blowing up the Temple.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  23. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Normally I agree but I need something on the fate of Rex, Maul and Talzin. I would prefer it to be in the animated show as well not some one shot comic or novel. From what I'm hearing the Season 6 episodes we are getting will not give us that.

hlc88 and QuangoFett like this.
  24. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    A parent company did not need to force them to wrap the storyline up. It is well known that an ending was planned. It was finalised in 2012. They re-recorded various bits of dialogue from the final arc of S5 after that, possibly in light of their planned ending. They gave every indication of wrapping everything up.

George Lucas himself gave Filoni and the writers plots to develop and apparently did not impress upon them a need to conclude TCW until 2012. Their task was to broaden the scope of the setting, and this is exactly what they did. They did not go off track. They simply did not (and actually could not) predict this sudden change to the business model that would endanger the later seasons of TCW. Good writers they may be, but prescient they are not.

Valairy Scot, Circular_Logic and V-2 like this.
  25. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    If Season 6 is already completed (JAT has said so and Filoni reportedly told IGN in November last year that S6 was practically finished, then it is possibly that any Season 7 work is the stuff being finished.

QuangoFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.