main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Will there be any billion dollar movies in 2013?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Domestic. This is discussing worldwide. No film has come close to a billion domestically. So it should be patently clear.

Having said that, Iron Man 3 will have to ride an incredible Avengers wave to touch a billion worldwide.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Not just you. He's become everybody's least favorite superhero.

But it's a possibility. I'd place this after Hobbit as the movie with the best odds.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, it's possible, just unlikely.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well then I must be Terence Hill in a Sergio Leone film.

MrZAP likes this.
  5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Nice edit.

Anyways even if you're talking worldwide it didn't get close to a billion. So...your point?

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I decided to be nicer :)

I wasn't making a complicated point, exactly what don't you understand?

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why you think a production whose earnings came nowhere close to one billion dollars should have a sequel that suddenly reaches this mark.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    ^What wocky said.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ^
    What my last sentence said.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Your last sentence was asking what we didn't understand. Surely that's not what you meant as an answer to our question.

Regarding your "it's possible, if unlikely" that is true of every commercial film released in the year 2013. Yet you are clearly being discriminating here, as I see the nature documentary "Penguins 3D" didn't show up on your list anywhere. How are you deciding that Iron Man 3 is less unlikely than all the other movies coming out this year that you didn't list?

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The Avengers coattails argument is pretty reasonable. Iron Man was the character highlight of a movie that did $1.5 billion worldwide. If Iron Man 3 is even slightly more entertaining than 2, it could get a big box office boost.

Still don't think it will hit $1 billion though.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And if you follow the conversation logically, it's clear I'm referring to the last sentence quoted by Sith Lord gunray, which was in regards to Iron Man 3's chances of hitting a billion. To save you the trouble of scrolling up, I said it would have to ride an incredible Avengers wave (not literally, before you suggest it).

Penguins 3D didn't show up on my list for many reasons, primarily because I didn't have a list.

13. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    a guy: iron man is a multi-billion dollar franchise
    slg: no it isn't
    diggy: he's talking about world-wide
    slg: so? it still isn't. what are you on about?
    diggy: it should be clear
    slg: it's not clear. what are you on about?
    diggy: what don't you understand?
    wocky: why do you think ironman 3 will make a billion dollars?
    diggy: what don't you understand?

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Cut it out.

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Wait, there's a Monsters Inc prequel out this year? :oops:
    Know I know why Monsters Inc 3D came out... :rolleyes:

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yep--Sully and Mike meeting at university.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    When I meant "multibillion dollar franchise", I wasn't speaking of just ONE film series (i.e. Iron Man). I meant MARVEL STUDIOS combined output. The combined worldwide box office take of Marvel Phase 1 is....$3,802,228,026. And to that add the untold amount of merchandising money across different brands/retailers/whatnot. Yogurt knows best after all:

I certainly don't expect IM3 to rake anywhere close to $1B worldwide (maybe not even half of that amount), but I think - no, I know - it will do well riding on The Avengers' coattails if you want to put it like that.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Iron Man 2 was a truly bland movie. The parts that were good were in the first 15 minutes. After that it takes a nosedive. But thanks to Avengers, audiences won't be thinking about that at all. So in the best of all possible worlds, Avengers becomes a reboot for the bland Iron Man 2 and the truly awful Thor and Captain America movies.

19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Dude, can you please refrain from your disdain of the Marvel Universe movies in this thread? It is getting kind of old. It's ok if you don't like them and would rather enjoy more arthouse fare that'd be able to rake in that kind of box office money, but that's just now how the industry (or rather, the world) works. Can we move along, please?

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    No. The box office calendar is now littered with Marvel comic book movies. So, the overall low quality of those movies is directly on point about box office potential for the season.

There's no question Avengers was a global crowd pleaser of record proportions. But there's plenty of doubt about whether Disney can recreate that kind of monster hit with its inventory of single superhero titles. Iron Man is by far the biggest Disney/Marvel title after Avengers, yet it has never really been a giant success, and the quality fell off badly between the first and second movies. Thor was a break even film. Captain America not so much. Hulk has never been successful on his own either. The Incredible Hulk was also a clear money loser.

And now Disney/Marvel is reaching deep into the trash can of D-list comic books. Ant Man. These movies will be polluting the box office for decades to come.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    My hope for Man of Steel is that it's a serious movie, because I like Superman.

For worldwide box office success, it has to be a very simple movie with lots of explosions and punches and not much talking.

My fear and suspicion is that it'll end up somewhere in the middle, being neither, disappointing both audiences, killing any chance of sequels. [face_plain]

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Avengers had slapstick humor as well as lots of explosions. It's absolutely lowest common denominator entertainment. I don't think a straight-faced Superman movie will win any fans.

If I were doing a new Super-Man movie, I would base it on the Larry Niven short story: Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. It deals with the problems of Superman's orgasms - of sperm shooting out at speeds high enough to kill his partner and cause structural damage to buildings.

23. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I have high hopes for Catching Fire. It's a lot of fans favorite book, though I know a lot of people will hate it and call it a rehash.

And while I don't think it will hit a billion, I also have high hopes that Pacific Rim does well.

Hobbit might hit a billion if only because we get more of Lee Pace's epic eyebrows and this is the movie with lots of Orlando Bloom.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm fine with lowest common denominator, but if they do that, they gotta embrace that and go with it. It's not what I really want, but no one is gonna watch what I really want, so that's okay. What I'm worried about, though, is that it's going to meander in some moments into some kind of 'out of character with the rest of the movie' pseudo-philosophical musings that is at odds tonally with the rest of the movie, as if to say "look at me, I'm a smart movie!" and it just ends up jarring.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    If there are any big hit surprises from non sequel/non comic book land, Pacific Rim could be one of them.

Even though Hunger Games was a remarkably neutered adaptation of the book, the domestic audience for it was huge. And Jennifer Lawrence is bigger than ever, and is going to become an even bigger star than she has already become. I would not be surprised if she becomes the biggest female box office draw of her generation. She has everything. Acting chops, youthful beauty, awards, two franchises, and an offscreen personality that the media seems to adore. She's sort of the anti-Kristen Stewart. Catching Fire will turn a big profit.