main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 'The Bible' Miniseries: Accurate or New Age teachings?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Green_Destiny_Sword, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    There was a show based on King David on NBC, though it only lasted a few episodes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_(U.S._TV_series)

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It lasted the first season, just wasn't renewed. And it was set in modern times (though different countries/geography), and took a lot of creative liberties.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Carlos Santana's brother? OMG, if you move some letters around santana and drop some you get ........satan!

4. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004

For my money the best Biblical film is probably The Gospel According to St. Matthew, which is probably the most poetic, as well as the most accurate to gospel text and christian philosophy. Which is ironic because it was written and directed by a homosexual atheist who had no love for the Church.

Bacon164 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It wasn't set in different countries at all. They went out of their way to try and construct fictional analogues of Israel and Philistia. Even the deposed ruler Saul consulted with in prison can be seen to fit under the general rubric of the many tribes displaced during the original Hebrew conquest under Joshua.

6. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    He also directed Salo....

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Which is literally the only film featuring coprophilia to be taken seriously in film critic circles. Pasolini is that good.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah they were set in different countries. It wasn't set in the United States or Israel, and it was with fictional geography and fictional countries. An alternative Earth in modern-like times. Of course there were allegories, that's what the show was about, but it wasn't a historical/biblical account of King Saul and King David.

9. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Can't wait to see what they say about Lot and his daughters!

10. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I agree...some acting is great but some is horrible..and some bad miscasting..leaving out a lot of subplots..its visually ok for a tv series..but I'm just 50/50 on it ..better than nothing.

Hey Dt421..they left out what happened to Lot and his daughters after his wife turned into salt. It's pretty much a visual Cliffnotes of the Bible

Amatsu Mikaboshi likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I saw the 3rd part last night (from the Babylonians taking Jerusalem to Jesus recruiting Peter), and I have to say that even though the actor looks a bit too much like the stereotypical Jesus, he really does seem to be great at depicting Jesus.

12. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    They skipped right over that part, conveniently.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    People who laugh at Samson being black are the same who have a painting of Jesus &/or Mary with Blonde hair and blue eyes..gtf over yourself and racial hypocrisy...

Some people aren't going be accurately portrayed but its fine with me..

Jedi Merkurian and V-2 like this.
  14. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    to be fair to these hypothetical people, they did grow up looking at white Jesus...

Shadojoker likes this.
  15. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Yeah, not surprised really. :p

16. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I have to disagree. Joel Osteen does not even come close to preaching Biblical Christianity. And Rick Warren is also pretty out there, doctrinally.

17. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I don't have any paintings of Jesus, but I do chuckle at the ones where Jesus looks Norwegian just as much as I do the ones where he looks anything other than Semitic.

You clearly did not read my post. Osteen isn't totally sold out, but he is awfully close to it, never said a thing about him NOT being sold out. Warren is one which I have seen in person and on video many times as well as read some of his books. I really have yet to see much of anything he has said/done which is "out there, doctrinally." as you put it. The link from earlier was also quite vague and seemed to rely heavily upon cherrypicked quotes.

Shadojoker likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_rofl] Oh, hell... Let me think about this one. Oh, yeah, that's right, Noah didn't mention a dude who wasn't born until 2000 years later. His family should have thrown him off the ark and let him drown for blasphemy.

19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    What they seem to be getting het up about is the assertion that Jesus's existence was (on some interpretations of Genesis) prophesised literally from the day Adam and Eve got chucked out of Eden, with the whole verse that talks about women and snakes supporting different football teams having enmity between them, and that one of Eve's descendants will crush the Devil beneath his feet. Ergo, supposedly anyone who worshipped God from the beginning knew about the prophecy. Noah not mentioning Jesus annoys them because their belief is that all Old Testament history was filled with people waiting and hoping for the Messiah, and that Noah should've said something like this to reflect it.

It's a rather silly criticism of the TV series, particularly given (a) most of the prophecies around Jesus seem to derive from, y'know, prophets like Isaiah and friends who come along at least a good thousand years or so down the line and (b) speaking only for Karen Alexander's book The Case for God, even the people who were telling the Genesis story, or something similar to it, around campfires, sure as hell wouldn't have been taking it literally.

Jedi Merkurian and V-2 like this.
  20. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I've only seen the first twenty minutes of the first episode, but I don't see anything New Age about it.

I just see biblical stories told from a modern liberal perspective.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Something I can agree with.

We do that **** all the time.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not really...

I know about the prophecy interpretation, but that clearly wasn't the intention. It's not a prophecy, it's explaining why people and snakes don't get along well... saying how both Eve's descendents and the snake's descendents will always have trouble between them. And the Snake wasn't interpreted as the Devil until Jesus's time, if not later. I agree with your second part.

23. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ...Yes, I thought you might have a difficulty with the supporting of different football teams part, which is why I crossed it out. :D :D

24. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    How are Semites a white people? I am sure Semites pre-date Europeans as do Iranians and Indans, isnt it a misnomer to call caucasians, caucasian didn't white people come to be around the Afganistan-Katazstan region?

If accuracy is a must why not get an all Lebenonian or Kurdish cast?

Jedi Merkurian , Shadojoker and V-2 like this.
  25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Because nobody would take it seriously if they didn't all speak with British accents.

V-2 likes this.