main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like you already.

3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
  4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    How much of a drawl is your accent anakinfan? (I'd rather call you by your alias if that's okay)

I was referring in that comment to the stereotypical, super exaggerated Southern accent. The one they get a bad rap for.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    anakinfan or Tracy is fine, whatever you're more comfortable with.

I don't have much of a frame of reference having lived in North Carolina most of my life, but the only time I really had trouble being understood in London is when I asked for "water". I think people can tell I'm from North Carolina but the "Deep South" has a bit more twang.

And it's all good anyway, I make fun of my own accent all the time. :p The Jeff Foxworthy "when people hear me talk, they automatically deduct 100 IQ points."

6. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    I live in Alabama,I'm around the accent all day and I've gained somewhat of an accent.
    Oh yeah for any Auburn fans,WDE.
    To be honest I know people who been born in Alabama and have literally no accent at all and there are people who have pretty damn thick accents all together. But when someone is recorded I can always hear some type of draw, even though when I talk to them they speak just like a Northerner.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, my brother's wife is an Auburn alum. I don't follow college ball much unless the Tar Heels are playing though.

8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    It's funny, we hear American accents everywhere, and I don't have a problem understanding what anyone's saying when it's coming out of a speaker. But out in the real world it's different. I don't know if it's just the fact that running into Americans in my everyday life is a once in a blue moon thing and I don't expect to hear these words coming at me in such a different format than everyone else I've talked to that day, but man it's hard sometimes understanding you guys IRL. Throws me for a loop every time.

And now that I think about it, I should have no excuse since my next door neighbour, as it turns out, is American.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Is this where I mention that when I watch Four Weddings and a Funeral, I don't know what the hell anyone is saying? :p

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Yeah I imagine it works both ways.

But you should have no problem understanding us, we pronounce everything so much clearer :p

11. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    In my personally opinion I have an easier time understanding anything but British,Irish, and Scottish accents.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had to videotape some stuff for grad school and I cannot stand the sound of my own voice on a recorder.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've been around plenty of people with strange accents and I don't really have problems understanding them. The times I've been to England I have run into some incomprehensible people (to me at least), but for the most part I can get past that. I find it easier to understand Brits than some New Yorkers. They're the worst; I swear they're not actually speaking English.

And I love hearing my own voice. I guess I have a "New England accent", but I don't really think my way of speaking is that different than most Americans.

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Sounds to me like a challenge

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Same for me somehow, even though both of my parents absolutely have no Southern draw at all even if recorded they have no draw but using anything like a microphone,video, or etc I tend to have just a slight draw on few times. Thought I had a man tell me I talk funny, saying that I had a North Carolinian accent.
    WOT U SAY M8!? I"LL COM OVA THER AN SOCK U A GEWD 1 M8!

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That reminds of the Guy Ritchie film Snatch, where even the subtitles had difficulty translating some of the stuff the more Irish characters were saying.

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Yeah see what you're doing is going off the bastardised version that appears in the British incest memes that get posted on 4chan every now and then.

One more video, and then I'm going to think about going to bed.

18. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    American accents sound normal on television, but Australian accents don't. It's weird, maybe it's the stark contrast, but Australian accents always sound like Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee in American shows.

20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah SpongeBob, a goldmine for hilarity.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ohh, Australia might have a new PM by the end of the day. [face_hypnotized]

22. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    I declare this map a Rush page.

23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've known more than one person who has lived in Michigan their whole life and develops a southern accent... They always seem to be from Pontiac... I'm still not sure how that works.

24. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
  25. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Unless it's Anna Torv because she just puts on any accent she wants. :p

I pretty much love accents, all of 'em. I just love it when people sound differently, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.