main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Number Kriffing One, Baby: Prisoner of the Floating World

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Dec 12, 2012.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello

The Galactic Federation Triumvirate is definitely something that is intriguing and I want to learn more about it. As you pointed out, it is described as a power sharing government between the Jedi Council, Imperial Court, and Galactic Alliance. I wonder if that implies two separate but united states (ie, a Galactic Alliance and Fel Empire), or if they mean that those governments ceased to exist when they formed the new Triumvirate. I wonder if there is a new Galactic Senate, what became of the GA & Imperial fleets, and how the new government is organized, to say nothing of the fact that I am eager to learn what sort of government it is.

It is good to see that the new Triumvirate is working to repair the galaxy and trying to promote a new sense of unity. Things are fragile, but the fact that Marasiah and Stazi seem to respect each other (even when they disagree) is a good sign.

As for my beloved Mon Cals, I really hope to learn that one of the Triumvirate's main projects is the restoration of Dac. I have no doubts that Stazi would push for this, plus it seems like the sort of compassionate project that Marasiah would support as well. She alluded to more expensive projects, so I hope that Dac is one of these!

--Adm. Nick

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The joke will be on you Coop if you're actually reading that! I'll have moved on to better stuff! :)

3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I thought Ania was Han and Leia's great great grandchild? Where did I read that recently?

Great issue! I really dug the art. Thought it was great. Reminded me a little of TOTJ. It had an older feel. I don't see how this issue could be a letdown. I liked the feel and rhythm of the book. I really like where we're starting with Ania and Sauk. You can't help but immediately feel for Sauk.
    And I don't think the whole Solo thing was overplayed. I'm happy this is ongoing. Or as ongoing as Disney lets it get.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    First thought on the comic... is that a Skrilling in the end?! It must be ages since one of those showed up anywhere. =D=

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The art reminded me of Cam Kennedy.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    No specifics on Ania's ancestry doesn't surprise me hugely.

I wouldn't be shocked if they're going to deliberately leave it uncertain until they know for definite what the Sequel Trilogy is doing, so that at least "distant descendant of Han and Leia" can still remain canon in one form or another, and thus ensure that the broad brushstrokes of the LEGACY era remain preserved even in the face of earlier Post-ROTJ Armageddon.

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    More praise deserved I say. For me it was a great introduction to the new world. They got the feel of the universe down. Your introduced to some kinda of Dark World which is intrigueing and different. You get a lot of story for your money, while at the same time the story is paced well enough to give a good intro to the key players. What's not to love?

and personnally love the art work, and agree that it's very Cam Kennedy in style.

Oh and I hope K'Kruhk dies :)

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Speaking of K'Kruhk, love him or hate him, it is clear that for the first time in a millenia that the Jedi Order is actively involved in galactic politics. This is a role that is controversial to some, but it does have a historical precedent in the GFFA.

Darn it, I wish we got a #0 issue or a handbook. I could read pages and pages about the exact nature of this new government. I might be a Fleet Junkie, but I am also Political Junkie as well. :p

--Adm. Nick

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Can't decide what I like more, the art or the colors.

Not that they were bad before, but between this and SWood, it feels like DH is operating on a whole new level this year--even the graphic design in this one is taken up a notch. Here's hoping they have many years of SW left.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nick, I'm not sure how I feel about Jedi involvement in government. The last time they played a huge role was during a galactic dark age. Government should be secular, and the Jedi should serve. Hatman is throwing a wrench into an otherwise amicable arrangement between Her Imperial Majesty and the Stazis.

AusStig likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Wasn't Saba one of the Chiefs of State for a little while in FOTJ?

12. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I liked it.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

And was everyone and everything mauvish-green blue and orange?

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    They really hit a homerun with this. I'm very pleased. Corinna Bechko & Gabriel Hardman deserve a lot of credit for making this fit seemlessly into the the Legacy Comic Era(yes, I differentiate even if LFL does not)

First off I loved how they managed to make Ania very Han like, frankly more Han like than Han's own kids ended up :p I love that she's smart, that she's a quick draw expert and that she isn't an overly sexualized female character. I read Tyrant's Fist at the same time as this and decidedly did not like how they visualized their main female character, so this was welcome.

I love how they tied together Yalta Val's story with Ania's, in a way that I feel was excellent story telling. I never really saw the swerve coming with the Sith showing up to impersonate Yalta(even though I read the preview :p). Ania finding first Yalta's droid, then his lightsaber makes for an interesting mystery for her to unravel.

Can't wait to read more.

JackG likes this.
  15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Great to have Legacy back!
    I really liked that the consequences of the past war weren't immediately gone (DNT, I'm looking at you). This issue really captured the feel of a galaxy struggling in a post-war environment. Ania seems to be a cool protagonist, and her companion is a Mon Cal who isn't an admiral or military officer or Dac Knight or whatever! As for the art, it was quite bleak in parts, but the Coruscant part convinced me that it wasn't going to be all so dark, which was a relief.
    So yeah, good issue.

Edit: I really look forward to seeing where the rest of the Jedi are based. Is the Temple restored on Coruscant or have the returned to Ossus? I hope the Senate also appears, too.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, another of the nice things about this issue is that the fate of the galaxy isn't at stake... yet anyway. And its still just a very good Star Wars story that is definitely set post-Legacy, nice to see everybody is still recovering from that war (did we ever get an official name for that war by the way?). Definitely buying every issue of this series, as long as it lasts (which will hopefully be for a while).

And yes, those were dark times, when Daala was in charge, you know that's one of the sign of the endtimes. :p

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So incidentally, are we meant to think that
    the "dark planet" is Zonama Sekot-style mobile? Or not a real planet? Or just in such a tempestuous point in space that you can't see it until it's right on top of you?

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I don't disagree with you. The Jedi, at best, should serve a temporary role in the new government. Having said that, just like during the last dark age, the galaxy is emerging from a series of traumatic wars. It will be interesting to see how involved the Jedi are in the new government.

--Adm. Nick

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    The Jedi are secular. They are not pushing Force Doctrine down people's throat. Besides the Jedi are more natural allies of the GA so its a tie breaking vote against the Imperials.

Esg likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that's not what secular means. The Jedi are a religious organization. Government by Jedi is theocracy.

And if the Jedi are going to be biased, then all the more reason why their role is a huge problem.

21. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    They are a crappy relegion then even at the height of their power they was no forced prayers or really any trappings of a Theocracy whatsoever. Besides it cannot be any worse then the Imperials and their divine right emperorship. Not to mention star wars loves their Royals and Nobles running stuff.

Esg likes this.
  22. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    First of all, it's good to be back in this era.
    I liked seeing the Triumvirate functioning and that there's actually an effort from a number involved to do some positive things to recover from the last couple of wars.

Loved Ania. She has the qualities of both of her distant ancestors and I look forward to seeing where her journey will take her. There was some good setting and Rimward world building going on, and I always love seeing what's happening out there.

Enjoyed the art, too. It's a little different than what we've seen in a while, not quite as clean and sharp, but sets itself apart from other stylized designs, such as something like Blood Ties.

The story could have used a little more editing, though. It seemed to have some abrupt scene changes that made the flow feel off kilter. Hopefully, subsequent issues will tighten things up and not jump erratically like it does here. I'm definitely going to be making this one a regular, though, along with Star Wars.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Then why didn't they help the GA more in the more with Krayt?

24. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    They did help at the grand finale besides that they spent most of their time dodging capture.

25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I HATED everything with the jedi being in power. Reminds me of the Three estates of pre-revolution France.

Any way....

Loved the issue, except for the parts with Triumvirate on page, it seemed really weird to go from that to some random on a back water planet, just use a holonet broadcaste or some such. But I like Ania, especially how she shoot that guy and her Mon Cal side kick.

looks like a fresh take on legacy.