main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anyone else afraid Disney is going to pretend the prequels don't exist?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by qui-gon-kim, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Agreed. They'll focus on the post-Empire era, but we're bound to see Coruscant again. The Jedi Temple might not be heavily featured, but it'll be there. They might make an effort to steer clear of the kind of devices that allegedly turned some fans off, but they'll also want to include elements that turned them on.
    All in all, I think we're in for a carefully crafted trilogy that'll blend in with the others just fine - as long as they don't try too hard to please everyone.

- Tenth level. Thousands of battle droids!
    - Then we'll do it real quiet-like.

/LM

lbr789 and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  2. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I don't think Disney is going to pretend the prequels don't exist but if they do there will be still us who recognize that the prequels exist.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Of course the plot and characters of the PT will be referenced, but I fully expect the jazz riff nature of those films to be thrown out in favor of something deemed "easier to relate to." They hired J.J. Abrams after all, not Richard Kelly (seriously, Southland Tales is pretty much my fourth prequel, and I mean that as a compliment).

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Prequels? What Prequels? Star Wars is ANH, ESB and ROTJ

fett 4 likes this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, the connection between the OT and ST is being emphasized because they're closer in time than the PT is to the ST. The OT is followed by the ST.

So it's natural they would emphasize the connection.

Besides, the prequel era has been going for well over a decade now. It's time to put it to bed for a bit.

6. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Eh, it's not like Lucasfilm ignored the OT or post-OT periods while the PT was in theaters. It was downplayed some, but you still had books, comics and whatnot being put out in those eras. They also found time for all that "Old Republic" stuff, too. So I'd hope that there'll still be PT material during this new production cycle.

Oh. And if Coruscant and PT-unique settings like the Senate and the Jedi Temple aren't in the new movies, they're dead to me.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  7. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think that if Disney wanted to put out PT material and make movies with strong PT links, they would. Does it seem like that is what they are doing?

8. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    There is no way Disney would ignore any major material from the PT in their new films....why would they it would make absolutely no sense, they're interested in making money (like every business) and they'll do everything they can to link their 'new' SW with the old.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Were you making a joke there? [face_laugh] Brand new SW movies are dead to you if the senate isnt in it? How do you know there still is a senate after the war? And the jedi temple?

This is funny. The prequel people are acting exactly like the prequel bashers. Completely black and white..............like the Sith. :eek:

And we still dont even know theyre going to ignore anything prequel-ish. Theyre just not going to go with what Lucas had been developing for it....yet.

edit: I just thought: the senate was abolished in ANH so why the heck would the senate be in 7 anyway?

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    ^ Because the new democracy will need it?

- Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?
    - How wude!

/LM

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If the Republic comes back, the Senate would come back with it.

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Honestly. I hope they DO pretend the prequels don't exist... Horrible films imo.

I think Caravan of Courage was better than the prequels.

I think the best thing would be to just make the new films with no mention of the prequels (not needed anyway) then the fans can decide if there are 6 films or 9...
    I watch 3 Indianna Jones films -some people acknowledge that there are 4.

13. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Thankfully they won't pretend they don't exist. I don't know why we are still talking about this.

When something is called episode VII, it means that 1,2,3,4,5,6 came before.

The only reason you would have to worry is if they titled VII like a reboot or something. They know the PT made money, so they put the VII moniker.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Funny, I've been hearing that Disney wants to renumber the saga. Don't know why Maybe they will make episode 4 as one and forget the prequels altogether? Not sure.

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

He said settings, as in actual place, not the institution. A senate can be anywhere and in a new building. That isnt what he meant. He said settings like The Senate and the Jedi Temple.

16. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Why would they need a new Senate building? Wouldn't the old one do fine? Even if it were destroyed, wouldn't it be natural to build it in the image of the old one? If our government turned into a fascist dictatorship, and it were then defeated by a ragtag group of rebels with ties to the old ways, wouldn't they be more likely to rebuild the venerated White House and Congress buildings, rather than designing something that people have no emotional ties to?

As for them as settings in general-- they frankly make more sense than revisiting OT locations like Tatooine for the umpteenth time or Yavin. OT fans will expect that the Millenium Falcon and other instantly recognizable elements of the movies they grew up with be in the new films, why can't PT fans do the same? Especially since they make sense in terms of rebuilding the Republic and Jedi Order-- not incorporating them would be thumbing a nose to the whole Prequels in general.

17. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Sounds like wishful basher thinking to me.
    ...unless they intend to turn TPM into Episode IV...

- You are so... beautiful.
    - Your eyes can deceive you - Don't trust them.

/LM

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hire this man!

19. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You're old, aren't you?

20. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I'm not concerned about this one bit. Most of today's younger generations probably know the PT better what with the films being more recent and the Clone Wars show. As such, I think there will be mentionings of the major events during the PT (the Clone War, the Jedi, etc), but probably not about specific characters like Mace Windu or Darth Maul. There might be moments where they try to tie the new films to the PT, such as Luke mentioning his knowledge of Qui-Gon or something. But I digress... I don't think they're going to ignore the existence of the PT, but there's no need to dwell on it or even the OT since both trilogies have been wrapped up in terms of telling their stories.

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    27. Would you like to know my height as well?

The wizard of oz is also better than the prequels...I suppose a simpleton will assume I fought in the 2nd world war *shakes head*

If you think the prequels are masterpieces I feel sorry for you.

22. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    So be sorry for me :D
    I didn't like Oz at all.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  23. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, I could make a case for any of the prequels being "better" than either of those movies, but they're kind of in a different category as Wizard of Oz or Caravan of Courage. Maybe that's one thing the prequels could have used. More midgets. That being said, you're short, aren't you?

24. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    5'11 ...weight next? Career maybe? Relationship status?

I don't like the prequels at all. No point trying to stereotype me based on this... Imagine what I think of fans that think they belong alongside the originals!

Now go away -you are boring me.

25. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Whatever. Age is the best excuse for your point of view, and sadly you don't even have that. No offense, all you young curmudgeons.