main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maxiron_Agolerga

This guy did the service. "The Pontifex was surprised by the request, as no member of the Brotherhood had presided over a marriage for 300 years, since civil ceremonies had become popular during the reign of King Narmlé" Does this tell us anything about the spiritual lives of Padmé and the Naboo? Why did Anakin and Padmé feel the need to "officially" marry (with wrong names and no records taken)?

But is this talk about Star Wars in social thread off-topic?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This is the Lit social thread, not the JCC :p

also HAHAHAH my class just went crazy. For the first time ever, I've seen people so involved and invested in an argument that they would yell over the teacher and just keep going back and forth. It was AMAZING.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    What's the argument about?

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    As an Englishman, I can confirm that yes, they are.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Whether or not it was a good thing that the CIA (allegedly) bought the Italian parliamentary elections in 1948 to prevent them going commie. Is that sort of thing an appropriate thing for the US government to be doing, and if so, is it appropriate to be doing it covertly?

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought that the CIA involvement was pretty much proven - Operation Gladio, wasn't it called?

US-European relations in the Cold War is fun. From putting an SS General in charge of West German Intelligence, to the bizarre Propaganda Due/Vatican Bank shennanigans in the early 80s (which many believe might've involved the death of a Pope) it's a cornucopia of whimsy.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It was a crazy crazy time, where black and white morals turned to shades of grey. I tried contextualizing it in its time and place, but the class exploded and half kept wanting to apply contemporary standards, etc. etc. while the other half was like law of the jungle, no rules etc. I was like errr, can't we have a reasonable middle ground here?

Weird day. Hard to think that in a month I'll be done with school forever. That kind of scares the crap out of me.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Same here, Jello. Unless I end up pursuing a Grad degree eventually, but that might not be for a while.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's been years and I miss academia every damn day.

Of course, having a mind-numbingly boring civil service job might have something to do with it.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, great. And I'm looking to go into government, too. :p That's a good sign...

Todd, what's your major?

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I still have another year of undergrad. Grad school is my best option- not that much I can do with a history degree.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    First PG has a GoT icon, and now you? What, do I have to join in now as well?

13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd tell you to go find a Young Griff icon, but all of the illustrations I've seen online are really dumb looking.

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Pfft, Young Griff. :rolleyes:

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    pfft. Sansa's my favorite, but I feel like that wouldn't fit the grizzled old man theme that you and PG have going. Perhaps Selmy might do. He's my second favorite.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Jello I'm a Digital Media major, which is basically Communications but with a Bachelor of Science degree. It's broad enough that I can easily enter a variety of fields. I also added a Psychology minor last month, since I'll have taken the prerequisite amount of psych courses to qualify.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Bah. Not many good icon-ish images of the guy. I probably won't keep it for very long.

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    You kids and your ever-changing icons. [face_shame_on_you]

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Could be worse. On another forum I moderate, you're allowed to request a username change. I see the same people requesting names a few times a month. One member went through about ten names this year.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, I kept the same icon from 2007 to 2012! :p

22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    At least here you can only change your name once every six months, and even then I bet repeated name changes are discouraged.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    One day, I shall go back to Duron. Yes, I shall go back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I miss Duron.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah, US meddling in other nations, now that can invoke an interesting discussion to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.