main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Literature Forum Reference: Rules, Index, Release Dates & weekly Marvel Comics shipping updates

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    Yes, but it's going to be quite an expensive year if you buy all the new novels. They're all hardcovers, plus there are several new hardcover reference books. I thought the number of releases was going to be cut back after the epic publishing schedules for recent EU book series?

I'd had been happier if there had been a mixture of hardcovers and paperbacks.

2. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I agree the new hardcover thing is ridiculous. Why in the past three years, when DR has had this contract since 99?

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Especially when they should be trying to promote more physical sales befor digital takes over...

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    digital won't take over. its an alternative

TrandoJedi and eddie1969 like this.
  5. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Kinda like what they said about Skynet.....

eddie1969 likes this.
  6. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I would hope so....but give it 50 years.

7. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Having dealt with digital products, I only see music as a truly superior version.

I would much rather own a physical film, videogame or book. I am sure many people agree with me. Physical means you own it so long as you don't lose it, break it or sell it.

Its yours. But digital can be lost due to all these licensing shenanigans. People say "you will always have the ability to redownload old purchases" but what if the distributor goes under?

Until these issues or solved, Digital is just a cheaper but ALTERNATIVE form. I can see it taking over past my lifetime though.

8. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I agree. I'm just worried future generations wont appreciate it as much...

9. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    A digital future is ok, but it can't be a short term way to leech money off consumers.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/sony-closing-psp-comic-store-15311

That link is primary why I detest digital and always try to avoid making purchases for them. I believe you can't even redownload your old purchases because the service doesn't exist anymore.

I could have gotten my x-wing omnibuses today by getting them digitally, but I chose to get hard copies. With the future of SW comics not being 100% definitive, it never hurts to be safe

10. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I do the same. I don't think I own and book/comic in digital format.

11. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Even when there's exclusive online material, I always print it out, so I can thumb through it in my file-maps and keep it safe (unless there's a fire, of course...). I hate to have digital stuff, as I do not believe it will survive a lfietime (look at the amazing WotC content from years back, and you'll see what I mean)...

12. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    I like purchasing comics on my iPad because I can zoom in on photos, which is pretty awesome. I have been using my Kindle for mostly all of my reading, I really only purchase Essential Guides in physical format. The next physical book I am getting is The Book of Sith, which I can't wait for/hope is as cool as Jedi Path.

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Bad news but good to know.

Since I moved countries I cannot find a good comic book store and not everything that can be purchased online is deliverable. I relied on digital format, but I much prefer to read hardcopies. Got Kindle for books and it works perfectly fine, but like a computer screen, it's not the nicest solution for comics.

14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    No your not the only one, Im hesitating on even buying new books(after FOTJ) till we get the news of EU being burned or not and who the hell knows when that info is gonna drop. This is bumming me out cause Im always all over a new book release.

15. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I've been battling that same paranoia myself. Heck, that's why I took a six-month hiatus from the boards following the announcement. Needed time to absorb it and get to where I could be cautiously optimistic again, but I admit to still worrying about it at times.

16. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    Is there any news on Sword of the Jedi?

17. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
  18. TychoCorde

Oct 3, 2012
    oh man....[face_dunno] I was really looking forward to this...

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Me too...

20. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    More news will come soon, I guess (maybe at Celebration Europe II?)

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I hope they don't cancel it due to Episode VII...

22. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    Probably not... but the books are still far away from publishing, so don't expect too much info coming out now...

23. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    To the Mods: The index post at the beginning of the thread seems to be truncated/cutoff. Can this be fixed?

24. Red.Two

Red.Two Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2012
    Why? It's fiction. Even if they decide to eliminate any trace of canon once Episode VII is eventually made, it shouldn't wipe out any trace of like you had for the stuff you read. Take a tip from the people who read Star Trek books: like what you like and don't sweat the rest.

25. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    After The Jedi Path and the Book of Sith, Dan Wallace's new project (with Jason Fry and Ryder Windham) is THE BOUNTY HUNTER CODE - DELUXE EDITION!
    (hardcover, 160 pages, $ 99.00)

At some point in his career, Boba Fett bound together two volumes of great importance to him: the latest edition of the Bounty Hunters Guild Handbook and a manifesto from Death Watch, the secretive splinter group of Mandalorians. Together, these volumes make up The Bounty Hunter Code. This book—along with Boba Fett’s personal effect...s—is housed in a secure, blast-proof bounty hunter’s case, which was recovered by Alliance forces when Slave I fell into their hands. Press the right buttons, and the case opens with lights and sound.

http://www.beckermayer.com/title.php?mtid=20775

According to Amazon, this new gem will be released on October 15, 2013 (they offer it for $ 59.99). Amazon solicitation-copy:

When legendary bounty hunter Boba Fett met his untimely end at the Pit of Carkoon, the Rebel Alliance discovered a secure, blast-proof bounty hunter’s case holding Boba Fett’s personal items. For years it remained hidden away. But now all who wish may unlock the secrets held within . . . .
    Press the buttons, insert the data card, and the case opens with sounds and lights. Housed within is a text of great import. At some point in his career Boba Fett bound together the latest edition of the Bounty Hunters Guild Handbook and a manifesto from Death Watch, the secretive splinter group of Mandalorians. Together, these volumes make up The Bounty Hunter Code.

The handbook is an essential guide for all bounty hunters. Senior Guild members offer advice for hunters new to the Guild, a detailed list of the tools and techniques crucial to the “crimson trade,” and the basics of making a living on the margins of galactic law. Boba Fett has scrawled additions and commentary in the margins throughout, as have the bounty hunters Greedo, Bossk, and Dengar, all of whom were once in possession of the Handbook.

The Death Watch volume—part informational guide, part manifesto—is full of Death Watch history, philosophy, and discussions of key Mandalorian gear: their famous T-visors, their celebrated armor, and their impressive jetpacks. This Death Watch booklet was originally taken from Death Watch leader Tor Vizsla and given to Boba by his father, Jango Fett, and features handwritten notes from father to son. Boba in turn intended to leave it to his daughter, and so he’s added his own annotations to aid in her education. The bounty hunter Aurra Sing and the pirate Hondo Ohnaka have added their commentary as well.

Tucked beneath The Bounty Hunter Code is Cradossk’s memoir, Making a Killing, a brutal account of his rise to the top of the Bounty Hunters Guild.

From the creators of Book of Sith and The Jedi Path, in collaboration with Lucasfilm, The Bounty Hunter Code reveals the secrets of the hunt and offers insight into this demanding, dangerous, and misunderstood profession.

The case includes:

The Bounty Hunter Code
    The 48-page memoirs of Cradossk, former head of the Bounty Hunters Guild, with an inscription from the author to Boba Fett
    A Kamino saberdart
    Boba Fett’s captain's license
    Boba Fett's arms permit
    Slave I ’s official operating license
    An Imperial wanted poster for Han Solo
    An inventory slip from the Rebel Alliance forces who discovered and seized Boba’s property

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bounty-Hunter-Code-Files/dp/1477805982