main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars: Primarily a Kids Movie Adults Enjoy or Vice Versa?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bale, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    This question came up at work the other day. What do you guys think?

2. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I don't know, never thought of it. However, if I had to make a choice, I would say that it is an adult movie that kids enjoy. But that's just my opinion.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Kids movie (depends of course how you define "kids movie") that adults enjoy but the subtext is adult while the outer trappings are less so.

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think they were not made for kids or adults. I think they were made for both.

5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Neither. It is simply a movie that is enjoyed by both children and adults that contains elements that cater to both audiences.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree with the sentiments above, it's an all ages type set of movies meant for all. I think some movies in the series cater to some aspects more than others. TESB is a slighty darker and more serious movie than ANH for instance.

But the saga is meant for everyone. It always was.

Jcuk and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  7. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Star Wars is a perception test consciously designed for children to understand and for adults to misunderstand.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The O-O-OT is for mature adults who appreciate Great Art like RoboCop 2, the PT is for babies who aren't even cool enough for Muppet Babies.

9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That makes no sense since ROTS is a prequel, and at this point the darkest of the saga.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    And here I thought the RoboCop reference was enough of a giveaway. Seriously, though, the Star Wars saga is for anyone willing to accept the type of space fantasy that is defined by a sense of whimsy interrupted here and there with some more biting explorations of ground level humanity.

11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Make fun of the Prequels if you want. But leave Muppet Babies alone.

V-2, Cryogenic, VMeran and 1 other person like this.
  12. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Right? I'm pretty sure Muppet Babies was my first exposure to Star Wars.

Cryogenic likes this.
  13. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    They were made for children.....and the child in all of us.

Cryogenic and Jedi_Ford_Prefect like this.
  14. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I don't think it was for me, but one reason I loved Muppet Babies is because it was one of the first meta-referential comedies I could enjoy. Jokes and clips from Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Spider-Man, complete with Stan Lee? Great stuff, even for a toddler. If only they had thrown in some Mario or Zelda bits, it would've been perfect.

If there is a silver lining to the Disney purchase of... well everything... it's that Muppet Babies can be released without any real fear of copyright infringement. Not that it's worth the possible red-headed step-child orphaning of the Prequels, but whatever.

Oh, and to answer the OP-- Great films are ones that can be enjoyed by anyone, in my experience. Yeah, there's adult stuff that kids can't handle, but to me that can be a notch against them. There's something nice about great classic films that can be all-age appropriate. Chaplin, Metropolis, King Kong, Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, The Red Balloon, The 400 Blows, and of course anything from Studio Ghibli (well, except Grave of the Fireflies). Great films, and great for any age. Star Wars may be the very best of them all.

15. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Historically, they're made for children to be later appreciated by as adults. Of course, I was already an adult when the Prequels started, and they're among my favorite films. So I guess that makes me a weirdo freak.

My grotesque form hooded in secrecy, I shall now retreat to the dungeon (beneath Jabba's palace) from whence I came. *Ingram hobbles away*

16. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I see Star Wars as a children's film, tucked snugly in between the charming innocuousness of The Wizard of Oz and the sober beauty of the Babe films.

An adult-oriented heroic myth would be something like Jaws or Pan's Labyrinth.

17. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Even Jaws is an all ages, family-friendly film (within the context of its genre) I'd say. Haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet, but from the looks of it it is most definitely 'adult-oriented'.

Really, though, I have categorizing movies like this. When I think of I film, I think more in terms of quality than intended audience.

18. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    All ages, bros. Does anyone really doubt this? History has borne this out, no?

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I’ve never ever referred to any of the Star Wars films as “kids” films. I think doing so is a great disservice. They are universal films, for everybody.

VMeran likes this.
  20. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    its an imersive story for everyone. There aome mature themes going in the Complete Saga. I think you have to be a ceertain age to take everything in. I still love all 6 films.

21. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I think they're family films with a bit of something for everyone. At their heart, though, I think it's clear that the main demographic is children -- what other reason would there be for so many action figures (which, while some adults do collect them, are sold to kids by and large)?:p

But really, I've always noted that almost all of the biggest Star Wars fans (whenever you watch videos about the community or look at people on this website) are people who saw them as children.

Certainly, anyone of any age can enjoy the films and there's material there for everyone, but at their heart, I think they were films primarily designed to be experienced by families.

V-2 likes this.
  22. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    "Children's movie" is not a pejorative designation for me; it simply underscores its primary audience. If a children's film is crafted with intelligence and sincerity (e.g. The Black Stallion, E.T., etc.), then it will draw in adults as well.

But then, perhaps "Family film" is more proper.

V-2 and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  23. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Why are people so hung up about this? Humanity, in the word's of Star Trek's Q, could be considered "a grievously savage child race" (which reminds me: one of the designs for General Grievous was a child). Next to the universe -- and other forms of physical life that might exist (even next to some of the forms we already know something about on Earth) -- we are violent, feeble, and stupid. The word "clumsy", in our better moments, might suffice as a smudged truth. That Lucas has dared to ambiguously compact all our best and worst aspects into a 12-hour space opera and have people fretting over who it's "for" suggests, to me, he got the mix correct.

24. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Thanks George...Let's hope there won't be more O added now.:D

I concur.

I'll add that while TPM is more specifically targeted to youngsters (Jar Jar and Gungans, little Ani, podracing), the whole PT is clearly more "serious", dramatic and darker storywise (political decaying, corruption, tragic love story and path to Evil), and to me caters more to adults or late teens.

But to be fair, let's not forget Lucas chose to make Star Wars/ANH because he wanted to give young people a modern day fairy tale, back in the mid 70's.

Seagoat and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Ya missed an O, bro :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.