main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As a person that hates the Internet, I can't wait until nuclear war destroys the infrastructure of our modern computer networks.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    But then we wouldn't be able to go on Twitter and find out what someone had for breakfast!!!

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    As a person who hates radiation free environments, civilization and living, I too cannot wait for nuclear war.

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Are you saying that Coruscant had completely recovered by LOTF? I know it was rarely mentioned, but we still get a scene with the World Brain, and the mention that plenty of the Vong growth was still around at the lower levels. I think if the Coruscant shows no effects from the Vong War onscreen, there might be a few fans unhappy.

General Immodet likes this.
  5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Honestly, if the ST takes out LotF and FotJ as well as the DNT, I would be fine. NJO I am more mixed on, but if that was a casualty of the Sequal trilogy as well, I would not exactly be complaining.

6. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think it's generally agreed on here that LOTF made a lot of things look like the PT and glossed over a lot of things from NJO. Of course there's bits like the World Brain, but just take a look at how inconsequential it was - did Coruscant's eco system go bonkers when it died? Or did Jacen simply lose an espionage resource, which the World Brain wasn't even orignally set up as before? Add stuff like the Jedi robes, the Padawan system, and Jacen being able to flowstalk Anakin Skywalker in the Jedi Temple because it's meant to be basically the same temple. In the end, of course there's differences between PT and LOTF - but the more things changed, the more they stayed the same.

And... and... and... LOTF sucked. Bam.

But to refer back to your original question - while the episode structure and the skipping of years between the episodes would really open the movies to simply have weird alien growths on the Coruscant skyscrapers and wave it away as "the current administration was shaped by the experience of an extragalactic invasion and occupation", I'd love that - I can't see them doing it. They might try to work on the skyline to make it look like 60 years passed, but then again they might want to move the story away from those planets just like OT and PT only really share Tatooine.

But maybe they wanted to have audiences get a break from all the TCW Coruscant stuff so that they'd be better prepared to accept that the new movie takes place 60 years later although it's basically the same scenery?

7. Adam_Bosman

Adam_Bosman Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2007
    I keep telling you all; the only way to save the existing EU in relation to the ST is time travel.

You know it to be true

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Give me continuity or give me death!

Barriss_Coffee and Esg like this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    continuity is hardly what we need.. we do have continuity! it all fits.. nothing is tossed out.

because...

1) that is what officials tell us and how they treat it and us: No announcement of stuff tossed out, no announcement of continuity dead. Instead they claim all is well, all is one continuity, all fits one way or another

2) Only because we do not know (yet) how it does fit against all odds does not mean it does not fit. It fits!

thus WE HAVE CONTINUITY... continuity is not the issue.. what is the issue is HOW continuity is kept:

1) Respecting older sources... no longer sadly. all can be overwritten, even movies can be contradicted
    2) new overwrites old... if by error, intent or stupidity or both does not matter, due to "creativity shall not be limited".. (I'd say it is not creativity at all if they can't work around it but need blank spaces to do something)
    3) retcons kit them together... known or not

so... while we do get and have official retcons.. till we get them, time will go by.. authors steal fans ideas for them or come up with their own... and while only some issues are tackled by official retcons...

MOST OF CONTINUITY is glued together by FANON and yet to be made CANON "empty spots" within the continuity tapestry...

so what are we complaining about... we just need to have patience... take a seat.. pick a cookiee.. you know the drill.

learn from Life of Brian!
    [​IMG]

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So you're saying we should **** off? How should we **** of, O Lord? Or should continuity **** off?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    <Filoni>Continuity? Nah.</Filoni>

Esg and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ulicus: aw, you beat me to it. Not that exact image, mind you...

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I just watched that movie with my history class today. Then we have a mini-lecture on it.

15. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    In the Legacy comic series, Coruscant was depicted as still being damaged by the YV War (most certainly the underworld). Vong parasites and biological creations were all over the place. Bu I doubt the makers of the ST will respect the EU.

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Of all the problems I can foresee with the ST, there being no beetles scuttling about is the least of my concerns honestly; Coruscant is a big place, so there is no reason why the places we'd see in the ST need to be mirror images of anywhere we've seen in Legacy or elsewhere.

I can take some real nice and tidy photos of my home... doesn't mean there isn't still a whole ton of junk in the rooms you wouldn't be shown in the images I uploaded. :p

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Time travel? [face_monkey]

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, far enough into the future that no EU has been written for it yet?

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    If Disney ever announces a CW reboot (includes TCW), I'll welcome our Disney overlords with open arms.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I won't.

**** the Clone Wars. It's been done. Twice.

Arawn_Fenn, General Immodet and Esg like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure, but I'd get some serious schadenfreude out of seeing Filoni's retconning get retconned.

Ulicus , JackG and Esg like this.
  22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Filoni: You can't do that to my canon! =((
    Disney: Too bad.

23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am saying they aren't giving us continuity at all, because I don't realistically see how its still one story and they can continue to say that its still one story at this point.

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    your point being? you neither can see air, love or your soul.. so does all that not exist, just because you can not see it?

if you'd have read Star Wars and History (brilliant book!) you'd know their approach and how all fits together "from a certain point of view".. exactly the same way History books do... there are many versions of the bible, all with a truth in it despite inconsistencies. All tales are "from a long time ago", historians perspective and as such retellings. The original events have continuity, the historians can fight over their interpretations of course..you'd be surprised how many facts in real life are mere assumptions, educated guesses, theories, and else presented as facts out of habit, or else. so why should SW be any different?

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    How is telling me the multimedia project happened then telling me so many other contradictory things also happened continuity? This isn't "from a certain point of view," this is telling us EU fans that Lucas and LFL really wanted Star Wars to be like Star Trek all along. I am well aware of historians and biblical scholars fighting over interpretations, and all Lucas and LFL seems to be doing is being petty while the C-canon contributors have to bow before LFL, so why shouldn't Star Wars be better than that.