main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars versus Gustav Holst

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth_Zandalor, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    This is probably well known, but I thought it would be fun to show you something neat.

See how many sections of A New Hope you can find that link up to this song. The easiest one to find is right at the end. I won't say what it is, but if you can't figure it out, you need to hand in your fanboy license.

2. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I remember a music professor in college tried to win over a class by demonstrating how John Williams was ripping off Holst. Problem was, he kept playing tracks that didn't really match up that well. The Imperial March sounds kinda like "Mars" if you give it enough license, but not enough to really stir up lay people to. If he'd played the entrance to the Death Star, it might've worked, but all he really did was confuse or irritate everyone.

I give Williams a pass for his homages to other composers. If you REALLY want to hear music that's patently ripped off of something else, listen to "Decisive Battle" from the "Evangelion" soundtracks, and then the "007" theme in "From Russia With Love". Not that it ruins anything, but it's a better demonstration of one piece of music being closely patterned after another.

kubricklynch likes this.
  3. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Imperial March reminds me a lot more of Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights. As for Holst, his influence can be seen across a number of differnte places, but in particular it pertains to the Tantiv IV scene as well as the lead up to the trench run.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I heard this on public radio for the first time several years ago and definitely did a bit of a "wait a sec" thing. If I can get past Horner's lifting and still love the Willow score, though, I can certainly live with the Holst influence in Star Wars.

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Help an ageing Brit out, please... What does it mean to 'give X/Y/Z a pass'?

6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    We overlook faults in works because they do something we like, or because something else does it worse, making the first look better.
    Horner has made exactly two film scores that I like: Wrath of Khan and Aliens. Additionally, those make up two of the three film scores the man has ever produced, since he seems content to continually recycle and copy his own music over and over. He's also a bit of an egotistic prick to other composers. Look up the controversy over the original score of the movie Troy and what Horner had to say about Gabriel Yared's work before his score was used instead.

7. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree the ending is similar. However, I feel Holst was an influence on Williams. He did not rip off his work.

V-2 likes this.
  8. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not saying that he ripped him off, but his influence is really clear. Hans Zimmer is another composer whose work is greatly inspired by Holst. Listen to the battle music in Gladiator and tell me you don't see the similarities. Also, that movie is about Romans, and the movement is about the Roman God of War, so there's that as well.

9. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    There's definitely some Maurice Jarre influence in Star Wars too, Lawrence Of Arabia specifically.

10. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I do hear a lot of Lawrence of Arabia in some of the prequels, especially Phantom Menace.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Holst's 'Mars' was used as a temp track for rough cuts of SW/ANH, and was apparently the main theme used in an industry preview of the film. There's no coincidence or 'ripping off' at all, Williams would have composed his own score using the temp track as a bed to begin with. Beyond Holst's 'Mars', I'm not sure of what other temp music GL used.

Same thing happened with Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey - except that Kubrick fell in love with his temp track and ditched Alex North's officially composed score in favour of the existing music. Good call, despite what film score nerds might say - and North's 2001 score is widely available for those who want to compare.

(Without wanting to mini-mod, this could all be a great discussion for the Star Wars and Film Music forum)

heidi50 likes this.
  12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Holst's Venus is so similar to the Tatooine sunset theme it must have been a place holder track too....

The main theme, too. Without wishing to sound like a muso troll, the SW main theme is exactly the same as the Lawrence overture but with the notes in a different order. ;)

13. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree. Mars, the bringer of war is one of my favorite songs. It is so iconic that composers are influenced by it and may not even be aware of it.

ersatz.stuart likes this.
  14. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    True. I originally started off with the intent of discussing Holst in particular, but it seems thing's have expanded. If you want it moved then go ahead.

With that in mind, Star Wars isn't the only time that the Lawrence of Arabia track has influenced Williams.

Tell me that drum beat at the beginning doesn't sound similar.

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    No worries, moving to Star Wars & Film Music

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ahh good, new acquisitions!

[​IMG]

I'd say it's much less "vs." and more "cross-generational hugs", myself. Nothing wrong with honouring a predecessor at all.

GunganSlayer and V-2 like this.
  17. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    In many ways John Williams really revived, especially for films, the concept of extended themes used to illustrate or represent certain characters, locations, or ideas. Obviously, Star Wars has themes that are very well known to SW fans, film lovers, music lovers, and the general public, but the entire series is peppered with motifs all over the place that are well less known (Boba Fett's got one, for example) yet are used to help tell the story being displayed on screen.

While it is almost impossible to separate the images with the music, one can grab the complete score to any of the SW films and sit down and listen to a story being told. Williams' work certainly does harken back to great classical works and concepts established by earlier composers, such as Wagner. I don't think there is anything malicious with say, Holst's influence in Williams' work. Certainly thematically, Star Wars has much in common with Holst's works, especially his Mars composition. There will come times to that future composers harken back to John Williams, as well.

As a side note, listening to that Lost World theme really reminded me how much I enjoyed the soundtrack for that film. I haven't heard (or seen the film) in quite a few years.

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    The Neptune score is very Star-Warsian. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've often wondered if Williams was inspired by Dvorak's New World Symphony when he was composing SW. Try humming the main theme from the 4th movement, then segue into the Force theme. They go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

Getting back to Holst, his Jupiter theme might have influenced the SW main theme. But Jupiter reminds me even more of the theme from original BSG.

heidi50 likes this.
  20. ersatz.stuart

ersatz.stuart Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2017
    End of Jupiter sounds like ET and Venus...I almost felt like Lois Lane (Superman flying me for the first time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I usually hear a lot of similarity to Dvorak, Prokofiev and Holst whenever I listen to it.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Jupiter has some stuff that also sounds like Star Trek.

Sarge likes this.