main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    If only we had more confirmations and less speculation. Disney needs to come up with something fast!

darthzac14 likes this.
  2. Marc McAllister

Marc McAllister Jedi Padawan

Mar 14, 2013
    et

Mara was very emotional when she was fighting Jacen Solo in Sacrifice. I started reading the EU because i wanted to read about Ben Skywalker so the only books I've read are from 26 aby until 42 aby, so all i know of Mara is from the time she was pregnant in Rebirth until Jacen killed her in Sacrifice. I know of her backstory from Wookiepedia and the Star Wars Essential Guide to Characters and Jedi v Sith.

3. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Is it the relationship that turned him to the dark side or the fact that he had to keep it from the Jedi?

And again, not being in a relationship and being celibate are not the same thing. Lucas specifically said Jedi aren't celibate.

""Jedi Knights aren't celibate - the thing that is forbidden is attachments - and possessive relationships." - George Lucas

Ryus likes this.
  4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    For Spock Prime its one line, however the 09 movie doesn't happen after TNG, Spock didnt just jump universes, he went back in time.

And of course Star Wars can do that, it probably just won't involve time travel and an in-universe explaination for it. They'll just have the ST and the novels and any cartoon exist independently of each other.

5. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Unless you can find books sales of the Thrawn trilogy, you're just guessing. You also have to remember that Star Wars is a franchise aimed mainly as kids, even if Heir the Empire has sold more then 3 million copies, talk to a 10 year old fan and they are going to know Ahsoka more then Mara.

ANd you're going to so disapointed when the ST doesn't follow any of the EU.

6. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    The EU loyal fans will claim that as some kind of victory, even though it would be Lucas and Disney throwinga way the EU.

kubricklynch likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That we are. [face_devil]

I re-read that book recently and love it now, that scene and the next three chapters made me cry.

Mara the Superwoman is horrible as always though. She's the only aspect of the book that I didn't like.

And I'll never read another Zahn book. I barely got through Outbound Flight.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Charming to the last, you dont know how hard it was to keep things civil.

Sales figures of 15 million copies sold was posted here siting starwars.com as there source and the page was copyrighted for 2002, so that was its sales figures 10 years ago.
    http://people.lis.illinois.edu/~unsworth/courses/bestsellers/search.cgi?title=Star Wars: Heir to the Empire

Next off I already admitted that the 10 year old market knows Ashoka better, so whinning about it is kinda pointless. However as everyone knows 10 year olds easily jump on the next bandwagon and with TCW cancled Ashoka will soon drift in to the background and be forgotten. However 20+ years later Mara still has huge following.

Episode VII will do whatever it does, I suspect zome EU crossover but not too much. I personally dont want it to follow the EU at all, just respect it by bringing someof it into Disney's version. Though my highest wish is just simply a great movie, however it can be great with or without EU or terrible with or without EU... so its inclusion is indictive of nothing just as its exclusion isnt either.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, you guys went on a vacation together? Just picturing you sitting by the pool reading SW novels. :p

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    London. She even took me to the Tower and didn't lock me inside it. Impressive, huh? :p

eht13 likes this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, that's IT missy - We need to get you some REAL coffee or something soon and bring you back from the edge of madness here!! First you dislike the CW (a very prequal/Anakin-centric thing) and now... Now you tell me that not only are you reading the EU, but like the very book we laughed at???

:eek:

Well, as Ventress said in the CLONE WARS "These are strange times indeed..."

Or more likely...

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Most impressive. :p

13. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    So roughly 2 million copies more of Heir to the Empire sold then people watching TCW at its height (of course you have to take into account the number of people who watched on things like apple tv, hulu, and (like me) who didn't watch on tv but bought the blu-rays).

Sure kids will move to other things, but those ones that like Ashoka will come back if/when they make more stuff with her in it. And Heir to the Empire books don't indicate a huge Mara following. How well did Union and other more Mara centeric stories sell?

Paying lip service but ignoring the majority of the EU material (like naming Han and Leia;s daught Jaina but the charater being nothign like the EU Jaina) isn't respect, its lip service.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Ha if you want Mara the Superwoman read Alliegance and Choices of One. In the first she proves what a total chump Vader is compared to her, In the second she has Luke standing awestruck at her skill.

15. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Kids will move on to other things you say huh?
    You mean like most of the people on this forum have moved on from Star wars toys to star wars forums? :)

Darth Dru likes this.
  16. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    But...I still buy toys....and play with lego....

:p

lbr789 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I hate Mary-Sue stories. For those who don't know the term, it means a character is close to perfect, an unrealistic wide range of skills, always has an answer, normally has something really special and unique about them and/or an item that no one else has (like Corns multi. length lightsaber) etc...

Mara Jade and Corran Horn are the two people who always strike me as Mary-Sues. They just cover so many bases, are great at so many things, have so many past "jobs" they mastered etc... Cade Skywalker being one also turned me off the Legacy series. The stories about them aren't so much "how is this character going to over come" but "what base ass skill or item does this character have that will any situation they come across no problem".

lbr789, Darth_Pevra and fett 4 like this.
  18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

OMFG.... [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

Oh I so don't wan't to go there... [face_rofl][face_rofl]

Can't stop [face_laugh]

Can hardly type.....

[face_rofl][face_rofl]

Going t make [face_coffee] now to get this under control...

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Ok, I gotta ask for the source of your numbers since the highest I found was 5 million, and averaging only 3 million through out its runs... and btw ratings these days include 3 days worth of apple tv, hulu, netflix and dvr views. Not even the clone wars official site gave me numbers in the 10s of millions,,, this being the same site that claims its critically acclamed, lolz. Now to be fair lets go ask how many people have borrowed Heir to the Empire from a library or from a friend or read the comic... oh wait you cant, just like you cant know how many dvd watchers are first time viewers vs just fans (btw I watch TCW via dvd too, so Im not knocking it) .

Google itself gets 14.6 million Mara Jade hits but only 1.34 Ashoka Tano hits (12 million Ashoka hits but the entire first page is devoted to a street name lol). Revan for reference gets 5.34 million hits.

As to Heir to the Empire not focusing on Mara [face_rofl] well anyways, yeah she's only the protagonist for 1/6 of the book but a supporting character for another half of it. Yeah, not Mara centered at all (heavy scarcasim)

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Different shops with different toy's you mean :cool:

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Only got 4,5 million Mara Jade hits on google.

But as I said before it doesn't matter if Mara is a Sue in the EU or not. It is irrelevant. She can still be written non-Sue in the movies just like EU-Grievous was different from movies Grievous.

fett 4 and Ryus like this.
  22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^Im still getting 14.6 million... cant tell you why your only getting 4 million
    Give you the first... the second though Luke had only just learned to not trust his eyes after Ben made Luke fight with the blast shield down, so time line wise it was accurate since Heir to the Empire indicated training... sadly Kevin J Anderson in the Jedi Academy series made Mara state she was already fully trained but Luke was just teaching her a new power source... so sadly from this point on Mara was fully trained back then. No excuse is acceptable for Alliengence I agree though... that was just sad.

switching gears
    As to the double length Lightsaber Corran used I cant recall the first book that was in, was it a X-wing book, Jedi Academy, or I Jedi. If Jedi Academy... well Anderson strikes again.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Not sure what you mean by that, it felt more like Zahn telling the reader see, Mara's really awesome, rather than a character move for Luke. Specially since he ignored Luke's blaster that he was still carrying in ESB.

KJA cannot be used since that was back from the mid-90's and Zahn even back then (see HoT) retcon anything he didn't like particuarly from KJA.

To be honest up until HoT the whole Mary Sue thing was not really applicable to Mara but since then Zahn has done his best to turn her into a Mary Sue and twisted himself in knots for a very contradictory scenario when he didn't need too.

With Corran and the compensation Lightsaber that was IJedi by Stackpole who was as bad as KJA as a writer if in slightly different way's

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    @ Ryus
    I dunno. Maybe we got different hits because we live in different countries.

25. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    Im coming to the conclusion that i think its ok if they borrow some ideas from the EU if they want and focus on their own story - like maybe use a name there and there or minor influences or just simply ignore the EU altogether. If it results in a lot of EU books being irrelevant or inaccurate thats ok. When Vulcan blew up in the new star trek movie that didnt make all the novels out there irrelevant did it? In fact if the powers that be love doing reboots they can just reboot the whole EU storys all over again starting afresh after the ST is finished. You can just stop printing copys of the old EU books and those turn into collectibles in the future. Maybe we need a fresh start there...I never did respect the fact they killed off Chewie. If they do that in the ST Im going to be ticked off. I have no problem with EU material as long as the writer captures the essence perfectly (like C3p0 R2 bickering,han solo smart comments,et cetera) since so many people hate the EU maybe they would be open to a new rebooted EU that they can hate even more. I myself just dont care...i want lightsabers and space adventures. Pimp the whole star wars universe out for all i care...i just like lightsabers and levitating household objects and star wars is the only place youre gonna see it. As far as EP 7-9 goes it should continue the arc of 1-6 and introduce just a few characters we can care about and a story that requires little CGI interference.

fenton and Darth Dru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.