main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lucasfilm "dramatic downsizing"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I knew when the ST was announced that some things would have to make way for it. I'm excited.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree. I would describe myself as cautiously optimistic right now. I can't fathom how people can learn that we are getting new movies and turn that into a negative. It boggles the mind.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not feeling "pain" over new directions and all that, but I have to say that Underworld and 1313 sounded more intriguing to me than the idea of an Abrams directed "big 3" nostalgia trip. I keep hearing the "be thankful we're getting new movies" line, but honestly I didn't even want new movies. I was quite enamored of the idea of Star Wars freeing itself from the big screen blockbuster format and moving forward primarily on the small screen.

my kind of scum likes this.
  4. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    ^^^ why??

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Because ROTJ wrapped everything up.

6. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Loeb rocks, dude.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Tell that to the prequels. The OT explained everything we already needed to know about the prequel era, but they got made didn't they?

Fact is, YOU may have tired of big screen SW but most have not. They realize after 5 years of SW TV that it's limited. Doesnt have the same magic as a big screen adventure.

And the TV format was limited epsecially with Lucas at the helm. I would love love to see a SW mini series with a serious more-mature tone.

But that was never going to happen with Lucas running the show. It might not happen at all now either but that's okay. We got more movies instead and that makes me happier than a future full of slapstick(detours) and dead end dramatic arcs(TCW).

JainaSoloYJK and HanSolo29 like this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant in-universe. In other words, no need for anything that TAKES PLACE after ROTJ.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    We live in this universe and there's a need if a writer decides there's one. There is no such thing as in-universe. It's a writer's fabrication.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They were just stating their opinions that didn't have anything to do with anyone else.

Yet you felt the need to go CAPSLOCK on them (essentially pointing your finger at them as forcefully as possible) to tell them the facts to let them know they are in the minority (despite the first person intimating as much) in some attempt at shutting them down and excluding them.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was trying to clarify what I meant. I apologize if anyone took it personally.

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Not judging by their pithy responses.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Whatever.

Carry on.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That was funny.

I meant in-universe. In other words, no need for anything that TAKES PLACE after ROTJ.

OMG! Capslocks! My eyes! The Pain! How dare you!

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Funny how a willingness to criticize pretty much defined Star Wars fandom for over a decade, but now all of a sudden the party platform is "shut up, don't be mean to JJ!"

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Or Filoni.

Quite the change from when people posted regularly about "Luca$".

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Don't put words in people's mouths. No one said that. Fact is, you came in here and called a movie not yet released a JJ "Big 3" Nostalgia trip. Do you remember that?

edited: for tone

18. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Hey we're protective of our Star Wars sequel trilogy people. Just give it time....if they do a bad job we'll rant on them nonstop here ;)

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Exactly. But we will wait until we see the movie to do so.

Now how about we get back to downsizing?

What if Disney absorbs Lucasfilm Animation or hires Filoni to run the show through Disney Animation? It's a possibility.

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The big 3 nostalgia trip?
    I wonder how you came to that conclusion since we know nothing about the new movies' story or plot.
    Jumping to conclusions, always fun to watch.

Darth Chiznuk , Han Yolo and ShaneP like this.
  21. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, saying I'm slightly disappointed previously announced projects I was interested in were cancelled in favor of a movie by a director I don't care for is an agenda? And, yes, it's true I haven't seen the film yet, but I have seen Super 8, which is what I'd call a nostalgia trip. I have seen Star Trek 09, which is what I'd call an attempt to remake Trek in the form of Star Wars '77. And I have read the rumors about 70 year old "big three" members getting ready to ride again.

So, yes, or as caps loving dudes might say, YES, I do remember the phrase "JJ nostalgia trip." I remember it so well that I will use it in a sentence again: I would rather see Star Wars 1313 or Underworld than a film that will most likely end up being a JJ nostalgia trip.

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    You're of course entitled to your own opinion, but that's all there is.
    No argument, no real facts to support the "nostalgia trip" preconcieved claim. There's not really much to discuss when you've already decided to dislike the movie that is probably not yet even written fully.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    ezekiel22x
    than a film that will most likely end up being a JJ nostalgia trip.

Actually, this is what you said:

sounded more intriguing to me than the idea of an Abrams directed "big 3" nostalgia trip.

No mention of "most likely end up being". Sounds like someone has already decided. You yourself admitted it. You didn't even want more movies.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope not.

25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    So you want him gone?

I hope they keep him around in some capacity, especially if they move forward with another SW show. He did it for years. He knows how to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.