main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Pope watch MMXIII

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Feb 11, 2013.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    That's a curious point of view in light of the church's political campaigns against legal abortion and condoms.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    "I'm not trying to push my religion on anyone. But here, let me push political positions that either advance my religion or my religion's policies. It's totally different."

Blithe and V-2 like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Have they tried to ban condoms? I just know the Church doesn't want to fund contraception, or want it to be publically-funded.

Abortion they believe is murder though, and that's not necessarily a strictly religious argument, there are atheists who argue that personhood begins at conception too.

4. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh sure, there must be, but I've never heard of one. Hitchens believed in 'the unborn child' but he never campaigned against legal abortion and never believed in something as anachronistic, unfalsifiable and inherently stupid as 'ensoulment'. I doubt he thought a fertilised human egg had thoughts, feelings or a soul, because they're positions of faith.

It's not necessarily a religious argument in theory, but it literally is in practice.

Yes, the church has attempted to ban condoms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraception_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Ghost, I'd ask you to name a prominent atheist who believes life begins at conception. It's a rare position for a non religious person.

6. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    It's a moral argument. Certainly you've heard an atheist make a moral argument before? They are so moral, after all...

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You seem to have mixed the 'abortion is immoral' argument with the 'life begins at conception' argument. The former being the moral one and the latter being the one darth ghost brought up.

8. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I don't feel like I've mixed anything up....

"Life begins at conception" is a fact given to us by Almighty Science.

Assuming that you throw Science out the window, any arguments for or against defining the new life as a "person" can be based on strictly moral considerations. Religious considerations need not be taken into account.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You've got to be kidding.

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Sperm and ova maintain homeostasis. They're alive. Life begins before conception.

Just because it's life doesn't mean it's a person.

V-2 likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    STOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

Ramza likes this.
  12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    So all the spermatazoa that die off in your testicles go to limbo too? I mean, they may be "life" but they're not human life until they have brain function.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

14. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    A fertilised egg is alive, like a fertilised cress seed is alive. I have no problems with that definition. The point I was making is that the Catholic belief in ensoulment is an ideological position of faith that is pushed on other people (via political pressure to criminalise abortion), contrary to the statement that the Catholic church has been against forcing ideology on people for 100 years made by Summer Dreamer.

I don't deny it's a moral argument, but communism makes moral arguments too.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This thread makes me lose IQ points.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Didn't know that.

Honestly, I can't name a single prominent atheist (except that Dawkins guy).

Catholics don't view it as an ideological position of faith, but as a scientific fact that the human person begins at conception and want the law to recognize that. Additionally, that's when they believe the soul is created. I could be wrong on that, but that's how I've always understood the position of pro-life Catholics. They don't see it as a religious matter, of pushing their religion on anyone.

17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The soul itself is not a scientific fact, it's a matter of faith. Whether the Catholic church sees it as a religious matter or not (they do though), it is an aspect of their own ideology that they try to push on other people through their shameful attacks on abortion. Ditto for their stance on women's rights, homosexuality, contraception, sexual health, poverty, etc. Their ideological bias is inflicted on others - probably with the noblest intentions - but resulting in misery for people.

Life, as OBZ said, begins before conception with the production of sperm and eggs. How sacred they are depends on faith alone, but you'd have to be pretty messed up to afford human rights to gametes. A sperm is not half a person, an egg is not a whole person.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

19. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    Abortion is murder, V-2. Accept it.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, duh. :p I'm just saying that Pro-Life Catholics think science is on their side when it comes to abortion.

Yeah, of course they have an ideological agenda. But they don't see it as pushing their religion on anyone. Also, they (usually) believe in a healthy separation of church and state.

Whether zygotes and embryos and fetuses are recognized as legal persons or not is also a matter of law, not just faith.

21. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Pffft.

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    much liek ur poasting

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Ah but the argument was whether or not they push their ideologies on others. I think you've practically conceded that point by now.

I take issue with the notion that Catholics usually believe in separation of Church and State. I direct your attention to Vatican City and leave it at that.

Of course most material things are a matter of law, but the Catholic/pro-life position is not based on science but faith; even if some laypeople don't understand that, the church leaders, theologians and activists who cherry pick and misrepresent the scientific evidence to their flocks certainly do.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012

Ramza likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Considering there are a few threads about abortion and athesim already, if this thread is no longer about the Pope anymore, then perhaps it should be locked.