main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Emperor Vitate Vs Darth Sidious

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Klingon Padawan, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Who would win in a straight up fight? I vote Sidious.

At first glance, Sidious, as powerful as he is, doesn't stand a chance against Vitate. However, as I learned more about Palpatine's powers, I think he had a chance of defeating Lord Vitate.

Sidious could tear up planets with the Force in Dark Empire, which seems to be on par with Vitate destroying Nathema in a Sith Ritual.

Palpatine was very skilled in combat, both lightsaber and Force combat. Most of Vitate's extreme powers involve Sith rituals that don't seem to work good in actual combat. He doesn't seem as skilled as Sidious in a one-on-one fight.

RF: We don't allow versus threads in Lit...

2. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    First, expect this thread to be locked with the quickness.

Second, Sidious. Vitiate's powerful, but mostly in the esoteric and Batman-I-need-lots-of-prep-time. Sidious would wreck him in a fight and probably match him in a wizard war.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Who is Vitate? o_O

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [​IMG]

As mentioned, the PTB don't allow versus threads here. Too much subjectivity involved, yada yada.

But Sidious.

5. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Vitate could use transfer essence to put part of his consciousness into people. He could weaken their minds and even possess them.

Vitate's lightning powers even surpassed Sidious; he could create storms of Force lighting. His Force Powers weren't just good for esoteric knowledge and slow meditation scenes, they were also practical for combat too. I changed my mind from my earlier post.

6. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Pointless thread.

Different sources show their power being different, and the different eras and purpose of TOR game make Vitiate way overpowered whereas Sidious was not really depicted as such except in a comic (comic's tend to overstate these sort of things)

7. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Sidious was capable of pretty much the same courtesy of the Essence Transfer technique and his ability to imbue minor adepts with Dark Side knowledge and power through the Force (Dark Empire II)

So too could Sidious (Star Wars: Empire: Betrayal).

A fully prepared and empowered Vitiate lost to a half-exhausted, minor Jedi prodigy and his droid at the seat of his power, Dromund Kaas, a Dark Side nexus. The guy is good, but dramatically overhyped.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh the TOR Emperor… he spent 1000+ years sitting on his ass in the back end of the Galaxy only to be killed by a Jedi fresh out of his training and an Astromech. Palpatine took over the whole galaxy with some 2 decades of scheming ;)

9. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    That's true. Palpatine could do everything that Vitate did (planetary destruction, colossal feats of power with the Force, transfer essence, etc), not to mention how Palpatine's combat skills surpassed Vitate's.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  10. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Pretty much. It's funny to think that the TOR writing staff expended so much energy trying to depict Vitiate as some Dark Side God... but, ultimately, he's the biggest failure of them all. Talk about a fumble. Or maybe they're in on the joke?

11. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Palpatine is treated like some Dark Side God in the EU, too.

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Not really, other Sith just appear to be utter hacks in contrast with him. His political skills actually seem to have gotten him further than any of his dark side magic.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  13. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Well, Sidious did destroy entire planets with the Force, just like Vitate. Both of them seem to have exaggerated, overhyped powers.

14. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Yeah palpatines mind is a far greater asset (or the galaxy's general stupidity), than his force powers. Was palpatine an above average fighter? Yeah but in the end he is still just a man, and they all are.

15. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Palpatine was in the movies -- he is in fact THE definite evil mastermind for millions of moviegoers. That other guy is some character in a video game who doesn't even really appear in said video game. This isn't even a contest....

:p

Now, in SW lore, I'm not convinced the Sith Emperor really exists. There's the "Emperor's Voice" and the "Emperor's Hand" and the "Emperor's Nose" and the "Foot" and the "Midriff" and the "Calf" and all of that, but where the hell is the guy? He's been dead for 1,500 years is where he is. Propaganda. It's good for war.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  16. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    That would have been the proper way to go. More original, cleverer, and refreshing. Introduce a character, hype and **** the hell out of him, set him up to be the Bigger & Better Palpatine... then reveal that he never existed and was simply constructed by the Dark Council as a means to galvanize the Sith. An Orwellian homage that would have deconstructed the much abused Star Wars trope of the Evil Overlord/Diabolical Mastermind/Big Bad. Alas, the writers at TOR aren't that clever.

Gorefiend and CT-867-5309 like this.
  17. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009

No Ernst Stavro Blofeld is the definative evil mastermind, thankyou!

[​IMG]

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    They really screwed the pooch on Vitiate continuity-wise.

How is it that Revan/Exile can't beat him but a random knight can?

19. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Because they are just a Man/Woman?

He isnt Darksied or Apocalypse, who are basicly modern versions of demon lords, minor gods/ demi gods. If you stab them in the chest sith tend to die.

20. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Not sure how that's relevant?

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Because Marvel might soon get to publish SW comics. [face_nail_biting]

22. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    good thing i don't read comics then!

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    There is a difference between patience and "sit on your ass for a 1000 years while ripping off Nihilus"

24. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Its relivant because of the genre of star wars, science fantasy trumps the "I ARE EPIC" feelings gamers like to attribute to their digital proxies.

Revan, was just a man, a talanted and skilled man, but a man none the less, same as his opponents (baring the robots I guess).

Jedi are closer to easter Wuxha characters than heroic demigods. Revan is not thematicly Thor, or Hercules. Not like say Wolverine is thematicly a amalgam of Enkidu and Gilgamesh.

25. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I'm just saying, Revan was supposed to be a ridiculously powerful Jedi, and he was far outclassed.
    Then TOR hero comes along who isn't even that powerful and kills him the Emperor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.