main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Walk around in a gold metal bikini while being lusted after by slugs, criminals, and lizardmen?
    Ooh—kay...

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wearing a gold metal bikini and being lusted after is a bad thing?

And LOL at the idea that that's all Leia did. [face_laugh]

3. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Damn!

From the RFR facebook page http://www.facebook.com/RebelForceRadio

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Wasn't suggesting it was all she did, just that it was one of the things she did.

Being lusted after by a giant slug, criminals, and lizardmen? I wouldn't want that to happen to my daughter.

5. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Liea shot peoeple and **** yo.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And Ahsoka decapitated several people at once using her lightsabers. While wearing a shirt with a boob hole.

AkashKedavra_93 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  7. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    They may not want Filoni revealing stuff about the internal workings/management that Disney/Lucasfilm are going with now, possibly.

8. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    Ahsoka also is the second whiniest Jedi next to Anni and terms of intelligence she about as smart as potato. I mean breaking out of jail.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And that's all the reasoning you need.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Or, when accused of a crime, proves her innocence by running like hell.

Yeah, brilliant.

Esg likes this.
  11. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Good point. I run a video game podcast, and we had somebody on that let out a few things that PR wasn't happy about, so we had to cancel posting the show. I'm thinking thats the case. Best not to have Dave on a podcast where he is likely to let something slip that LFL/Mickey doesn't want revealed. If anything, though, this shows that LFL doesn't have a game plan yet. If they did, they'd let Dave on. :p

Only other likelyhood is that they don't want a podcast to be the source for a big reveal, and they want to reserve that for a bigger outlet or for the official site.

hlc88 likes this.
  12. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    She also stopped wearing a tube top after she saw the Sister's magnificent rack.
    LOOK AT IT, IT'S LIKE STARING RIGHT INTO THE HEART OF THE FORCE ITSELF
    [​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Good news, everyone!

http://www.facebook.com/RebelForceRadio

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Darth_Harmon I couldn't care less about Rebelforce radio. All they even care about is TCW/Filoni. Nothing else matters to them and it even showed when they were in the Forcecast.

Ever since Jimmy and Jason admitted they were anti-TCW bashing and said the EU doesn't exist. Very biased and ignorant. Not to mention Jimmy's laughable threat toward Roger Ebert after he had given Fanboys (awful film) a negative review.

Esg, 07jonesj, JackG and 1 other person like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Now that's interesting.

I doubt my questions for Filoni would actually get air time. :p

16. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    I really don't care about any of that, I was just hoping for some sort of TCW news this week. Oh well, in 2 weeks they'll let Dave use a phone.

Sgt Crowfield and Darth Ibonek like this.
  17. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I guess some people will always quite vocally hate The Clone Wars, Ahsoka, etc. but I just don't understand it to be honest. I loved the show and I really liked her character. I feel like she was an integral part of the prequel story. The series really did the best job of showing Anakin Skywalker in the right light...heroic with shades of the dark side. I felt like his portrayal, particularly in Attack of the Clones was far too dark at such an early point in his career. His fall to the dark side was too apparent too early on. Given how little time he spent with Padme, it's just hard to imagine he won her over with acts of Genocide, bitter rants about Obi-Wan, creepy staring, and lines like "I don't like sand".

That's not to say I hate the prequels. Quite the opposite is true actually. I've always defended the movies against the extreme haters like Red Letter Media and his ardent supporters. I never understood the hate for The Phantom Menace. I enjoy Revenge of the Sith same as most fans. Attack of the Clones is my least favorite, primarily because I felt Anakin was not portrayed believably. I bought his state in Revenge of the Sith, at the end of the war, close to his fall. I feel he was too evil too early on. In the movies, we only ever saw a bitter, angsty, brooding, angry Anakin. We never saw the hero. We never saw the mentor. We never saw the brother Obi-Wan described affectionately in the Original Trilogy.

The Clone Wars has done a tremendous job of expanding Anakin's character and the heart of that was his relationship with Ahsoka. Yes, his relationships with Padme and Obi-Wan are also extremely important, but his relationship with Ahsoka is the best way we, the audience, are able to gauge his character growth. As we saw Ahsoka grow we also saw Anakin mature. Yoda decided to give Anakin an apprentice for that very reason and I feel we clearlyw ere able to see for the first time his transition from the angst filled teen we saw in Attack of the Clones to the hero told of in the Original Trilogy.

Ahsoka's departure was something I hoped to see from season 3 onward. Initially I had somewhat assumed she would die, not because I wanted to see it, but because she wasn't mentioned in Revenge of the Sith. However, as time went on, I grew to love her character, and both out of hope for her future, and for the narrative as a whole, I began to see her departure from the Jedi Order as something not only possible, but likely. Anakin's attachment to Padme and the death of his mother are already sufficient explanation for his fear of loss / death of loved ones. Ahsoka dying would be superfluous in that it would only further illustrate an already well established part of his character and do nothing to further explain any other facets of his fall. The final arc of season 5 did a tremendous job of setting up the distrust between the Jedi and the Chancellor, the failing of the Jedi Council, and Anakin's mistrust of the council. It does a far better job to explain Ahsoka's complete absence in Revenge of the Sith. Had she died, no doubt Anakin would have mentioned her death in his conversations with Padme and Obi-Wan and Yoda would mention her in counseling Anakin. Her departure explains both her physical absence and the fact that she wasn't mentioned at all.

Now, I don't imagine Ahsoka has a life of solitude like Obi-Wan and Yoda. I imagine she has a very active role int he galaxy in the Dark Times and beyond. Of course she dies someday. I don't imagine anyone lives forever. I don't want to see her again the Clone Wars. Her story in The Clone Wars is complete. By saying I would like to see her future, that doesn't mean in TCW or her ultimate death. Just the same as I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, R2, and 3PO in the sequel trilogy, I want to see the role Ahsoka plays in the future of the Star Wars galaxy in future cinematic / TV series. Ahsoka is only 16 years old and I believe she has a bright future in the Star Wars galaxy, not in solitude, not in death, but somewhere out there doing some good work. I feel like the scene where she's offered the opportunity to return to the Order is really highlighted by the score. As she reaches for her Padawan beads, you can hear the dramatic backing music as if she's tempted to return, but it would seal her fate, her death. The choice to walk away was painful at the time, but ultimately secured her future. I like to believe her future is important to the fate of the galaxy. She's an important character. I won't say my story ideas here. I'm working on a side project. It's not just Ahsoka though. Just as the events of TCW really help to strengthen the narrative of the prequels and the saga as a whole, I believe that the future of Ahsoka, Rex, Ventress, Maul, Hondo, Bane, etc. is important and needs to be told...someday. Maybe it won't be until after Episode IX, but I truly hope Disney allows the creative forces that be will someday be allowed to revisit the Original Trilogy, the Prequel Trilogy, the dark times, the era between VI and VII, the Old Republic, etc. to help make one cohesive epic story.

I appreciate the EU, but at this point, I really feel it should be considered a separate universe where only the movies are considered true...not because I hate the EU, but because it's a better alternative to selectively picking and choosing not hole novels / stories, but bits and pieces to make part of the canon. I would considered everything officially produced by Lucasfilm and Animation should be considered G-Canon; The OT, the PT, the ST, and TCW. In the EU universe, I - VI, the comics, the novels, the video games. At least that's how I view the series. Two separate versions of Star Wars, just like there are two versions of FMA. There's the manga and the Brotherhood anime which sticks to it exactly,and there's the original anime which deviated from Arakawa's story. I'm not saying that the EU is lesser or worse, but separate. It just helps make the stories clearer. In the EU, Luke marries Mara Jade, Barriss Offee isn't a dark jedi, Even Piell doesn't die at the Citadel, the New Jedi Order fights the Yuuzhan Vong, etc. In the G-Canon universe, everything we see on film happens. I'm not saying this is absolute, just the way I view the Star Wars Universe to help explain the story differences.

Given this view, I can't really see any comics / novels detailing the future of TCW characters as completely satisfactory....because it brings me back to picking and choosing certain comics / novels as canon and others as not canon. There's a good chance The New Jedi Order novels and beyond will be completely rendered non-canon in the Lucas universe by the Sequel Trilogy. It's just easiest for me to fully enjoy all mediums of Star Wars if I can clearly categorize them. "okay the novels, comics, video games, are all part of the EU along with the first six movies" then "okay the nine movies, clone wars, and any other cinematic / tv series are all part of the Lucas universe"

Bottom line, I want to see future animated features detail the future of the characters from TCW.

As said before, I'm really disappointed in Disney's decision to cancel all things not related to the Sequel Trilogy. It just shows they don't really care about the saga as a whole telling a complete story. Their disbanding of the team responsible for TCW highlights their lack of concern for the fans and good story telling. I really can't say it any better than the blog posted a few pages back. They articulated my feelings better than I could manage. I hope I'm wrong. I hope that all the other parts of the Star wars saga are simply on hold until after Episode VII and then we'll get an abundance of Star Wars media focusing on all parts of the Star Wars Universe. I imagine Disney may be trying to save stories for their "spin-off movies" given the success of The Avengers and the other Marvel movies. I think they'll eventually come down off the high. While the Avengers was certainly great and did a great job of pulling multiple films from different franchises together, I don't think this model will work indefinitely. I'm looking forward to an Avengers 2 and possibly 3, but I think it's a bad idea to try and repeat this model with Star Wars. The Star Wars galaxy has always thrived by telling it's side stories through other mediums. I wouldn't mind Lucas / Kennedy giving us a distinction at some point that certain comics / novels could be regarded with the same canon status as the movies and TCW. The thing is, I feel like they should continue the story that's being told in the current EU and it's likely very different from the one the ST will tell. While I am not current with the EU story, I feel like it would be better to separate the current EU from the Lucas universe than to attempt to butcher the EU / retcon it into canon with the new stories told in the Sequel Trilogy. At the same time I imagine new EU material written after Episode IX will consider all 9 movies, not just the 6 we already have. It's going to make the EU very messy so at some point I feel like the separation needs to be made apparent. I feel like it will be the best way to strengthen the story told both in the Eu and in the Lucas Universe.

My proposal would be...

Lucas Universe

Episodes I - IX
    The Clone Wars
    Any spin-off movies or future TV series
    comics / novels / video games written post-ST which regard all such materials listed above as canon
    *At the discretion of the individual fan, I imagine they could consider any other previously written comics / novels as canon if they have no contradictions with any of the above listed materials

Expanded Universe

Episodes I - VI
    comics / novels / video games produced prior to TCW and the ST
    Comics / novels which continue the story of the current EU

It may be a little bit messy, but certainly less so than the somewhat ambiguous canon scale we go by now.

I feel like I've blended a few topics in this post, but I find it hard to keep one singular train of thought going with all the news swirling around about the future of Star Wars.

I truly hope we get a satisfying end to The Clone Wars series. I want to see as much of the series as possible. I don't think we'll see Maul or Rex die to be honest. I believe they'll have a future in the Star Wars galaxy just like Ahsoka. I just hope we, the fans, eventually get to see these stories told.As said, characters like Ahsoka and Ventress may have a satisfying end in TCW in which case I don't necessarily need to see them again in this series, but I would really like to see their stories continued in some important way in the canon universe. (if you're reading this Filoni and Lucas, just PM / email me XD I'd be happy to help write the next series...I have lots of great ideas =P).

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Wall of text

19. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Your post could be used as an undergrad research paper.

20. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Jedi Master Chuck
    Holy wall of text! Next time I suggest adding a TL;DR to summarize.

Anyways, I agree with you on some points, namely the treatment of the EU. It seems that with Disney's acquisition of LFL, there may end up being a more streamlined EU in comparison to the past. I do think that this streamlining will almost inevitably apply to the various levels of canon that we see today.

However, my feelings on whether Disney should completely disregard EU outside the media of movies and TV shows are mixed. I'm personally not too invested in the EU, but it provided a means to satisfy fans during the periods between the movies, and keep them wanting more. While the quality of much of the EU material is as mixed as the number of authors that have written SW novels and comics, I really doubt many fans here would appreciate further stomping over of the EU. It's a fine line Lucas walks when introducing new media without trying to contradict established canon, even C-canon, and perhaps Disney may view this as too restrictive. Leland Chee has quite the unenviable task of sorting through thousands upon thousands of stories and determining the level of canon each one represents, and to that I agree that having a dual G-canon/T-canon vs. Expanded Universe could simplify things. This treatment would not be unlike how Star Trek treats its own EU, where television and film media trumps those of novels and comics. It seems like Disney is trying to trim the fat on the franchise and limiting the media we'll be getting until Episode VII premiers. If that's the case, I would not be surprised if they opt for a more streamlined canon.

21. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Interesting... Perhaps his original appearance was cancelled because of a possible new announcement coming soon regarding TCW so it gives him something to promote rather then try to duck inappropriate questions Disney/LFL don't want being known about. I know, I know, its probably nothing like that... especially since he's been rescheduled so they must be ok with him talking to these people.

22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Disney has become mad with power when they can not only cancel a successfull TV show but also cancel an independent podcast for a week.
    GG, you don't know the power of removing the EU from existence until you see what Disney will do with it.

07jonesj likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There really isn't a "Lucas universe" anymore, or at least it has no bearing outside of Lucas' own imagination. He wrote the treatments for 7-9, but the script will fill in the gaps. And any future TV shows, spinoff films, and episodes 10-12 will likely have less, if not zero input from Lucas.

One thing I thought was odd - and this pertains to Star Trek - is that artists retained the rights, either partial or in full, to content they created. The example I know of off the top of my head is that Star Trek Online (a Star Trek MMO licensed by CBS and made by Cryptic Studios) was met with fan demand to include the Vesta-Class Starship (a starship from Star Trek's EU). Cryptic could not freely use it, they had to strike a deal with the artist of the ship independently, rather than just getting permission from CBS, as they would for ships that appeared in the TV series. I don't know if the artists for Star Trek retain the rights to their content while those for Star Wars have a contract that stipulates that they must forfeit it to LucasFilm or how that works.

I just thought it odd that an artist can create a ship, blatantly derived from ships that CBS owns the rights to, for a novel licensed by CBS, but then the artist has to be negotiated with, not CBS...

My point being that an artist or author that depicts/writes a character such as Xizor/Corran Horn/etc, could they block Disney's ability to use that character?

Some are speculating that Dark Horse's contract with LucasFilm will expire at the end of the year and that future comics will be handled by Marvel. Would Dark Horse have any legal way to block content they've created from being used by Marvel?

I mean, Thrawn is invented by an author but was then subsequently used in Empire at War. Does LucasFilm retain the rights to the character, therefore allowing LucasArts and Petroglyph to use it freely, or does Zahn profit when this happens?

Basically: I suspect that much of the Star Wars canon is going to be completely rebooted under Disney. But hypothetically, if Marvel takes over future comics, would Dark Horse be in a position to deny them the right to use content they created for the Star Wars universe, in the same way that the Star Trek artist apparently could, or is all of that content owned by LucasFilm?

If there would be legal issues, I would imagine that a reboot is guaranteed regardless.

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW = EU

GGrievous likes this.
  25. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I've seen a fair few posters suggest TCW would be removed as well.

GGrievous likes this.