main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT who could have defeated/overthrown palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jnrssa, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jedi told him "The Sith have returned" right after TPM- they may have felt the Sith needed to be kept secret from the general population, but not from the Republic's leader.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It wasn't exactly a secret that the Sith were heading the Separatist movement. Since the invasion of Naboo in The Phantom Menace the Jedi were actively seeking out the Dark Lord, and the films established that (much to their disliking) the Jedi were very closely related to the Chancellor and other key members of the senate. They shared information for the better of the Republic.

Also, the droids posed just as much a threat in the prequels as the storm troopers did in the originals. Take that as you will. They gunned down plenty of Jedi in Attack of the Clones.

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohh.. Right after TPM. So why during numerous conversations with the Jedi in AOTC wasn't the Sith mentioned once? Just the separatists. Nothing of the Sith being involved with the separatists?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Mostly because, at that point, they don't know the two are connected.

After Dooku threw Sith Lightning in AoTC, they had a pretty big clue.

5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    So if at that point they don't know the Sith are connected to the separatists what's the point in telling the chancellor? All the Chancellors involved in is the separatist problem. What's the Sith got to do with the chancellor? And why didnt the penny drop with Anakin when Palpatine told him about Darh Plageuis at that weird opera? How do you know about this Chancellor? But no, the penny didnt dop. Palpatine revealed himself to him in his office after getting tired of dropping too many hints!

6. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Yeah we do see what happens when someone throws lighting at a saber.

Sidious lightning BLASTED AWAY Yoda's lightsaber off Yoda's FIRMLY GRIPPED hands.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Separatist problem was not nearly as big right after TPM.

The Sith once ruled the galaxy before being brought down- their return is the sort of thing any galactic ruler needs to know about.

In The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader- the penny didn't drop for Anakin, because he remembers that since Dooku revealed himself, the Jedi Council and the Supreme Chancellor have had several talks on the subject- so he's not surprised the Chancellor knows something so esoteric.

8. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    There is evidence.

Sidious WHEN NOT FAKING, BLASTED AWAY Yoda's lightsaber off Yoda's firm hands.

9. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    totally two seperate incidents.

Yoda had just landed on a pod from a distance and had a huge blast of lightning thrown at him,

Mace was 2 feet away from him (less even) he would have had even greater grip on his lightsaber

you can't compare the two scenes

Edit: Also Mace's lightsaber was twice the size of Yoda's,

I know I know size matters not...but in instances such at this..i'm afraid it does

10. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    Well you see it that way while others see it differently.

Anyways, weren't you that one that told me that Lucas said that Palpatine STARTED FAKING when Anakin walked in?

Well that means that lightning is all for show.

It changed Mace's mind from ARREST to KILL.

When that happened, Palpatine finally have Anakin. Check Mate.

When Anakin finally chose. Power Unlimited Power!!! Sidious finally OBLITERATED Mace.

11. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    so not in anyway was he suspicious? Not even a teeny weeny bit? Oh,we're all looking for a Dark Lord of the Sith and here's the Chancellor who knows I'm a Jedi, but rather than arrest Dooku and take him in to custody and let the senate decide what happens to him, urges me to chop his head off! Then, he reveals he knows all about Sith folklore and the legend of someone called Darth Plageuis? And all he's supposed to be is a politician. And why, when Dooku could quite clearly see it was looking like Anakin was gonna sabre his head off didnt he think, 'Hey you know I've been stitched up here, Palpatine is the guy you've all been looking for!!

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Anyways, weren't you that one that told me that Lucas said that Palpatine STARTED FAKING when Anakin walked in?

Well that means that lightning is all for show.

It changed Mace's mind from ARREST to KILL.

---

it happened like this:

• Palpatine gets knocked on his butt by Mace, Anakin comes in. Palpatine uses this opportunity to turn Anakin "I told you it would come to this, I was right, the Jedi are taking over" this doesn't work.

• Mace then proceeds to tell Sidious he had lost, this peeves of Sidious and his pride and lunges a full out attack on Mace Windu "NO NO YOU WILL DIE!!"

• When Sidious realises that this full out attack on Mace wasn't going to work either this is when he begins to feign weakness "i've become too weak, Anakin help me, help me!" Anakin then proceeds to tell Mace that he must stand trial, Sidious then turns up the act with "I'm too weak, don't kill me please"

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    That is a matter of opinion, I really dislike how the EU is always trying to overwrite Lucas, no wonder he calls it a different universe from his films.

lbr789 and Seagoat like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Often its not "trying to overwrite" but "expanding on information already given"

Like- we already know Palpatine was kidnapped immediately before Revenge of the Sith- it's the EU's job to show exactly how.

15. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Palpatine wasn't just faking it, Mace Windu was overpowering him, pointing his lightsaber directly at him. Even when Palpatine struck him with lightning that would kill him, Windu's lightsaber was blocking it.

Dredalus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    why are the windu sympathisers only listening to Lucas' commentary and not actually watching what Lucas put on screen? Fact - Palps was confronted by 4 master Jedi who were later joined by the chosen one - the only one who can bring balance to the force. Let's see.. Palps vs 5 Jedi, resulting in 4 dead Jedi masters and the chosen one turned into Palps new apprentice. Lets not forget palps fought yoda as well resulting in yoda running away and hiding for the rest of his life. But i suppose if you only go by what Lucas loosely says in a commentary without any in depth analysis into the whole lead up of palps arrest, you could say windu won and palps just got lucky.

17. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Mace did. Thats all it takes. A pissed off, bald, Black guy.

18. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    While the obvious choice would be Yoda or Mace I think Palpatine would be expecting an attack from them so maybe a better choice would be a lesser known Jedi or some one who is Dark Force sensitive but not yet known to the Emperor....this type of person could get close to Palpatine and he wouldn't see them as a threat so that could give them the opportunity to attack.

19. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Two person teams that can beat Darth Sidious:
    - Vader and Luke: Oh wait, aside from them.
    - Vader and Galen Marek: if they actually worked together.
    - I think any two Sith Apprentices can do it. *
    -Luke and Leia - using Force Harmony
    -Any two Grand Master level Jedi that know force harmony or wall of light can probably defeat him.

If we were getting rid of the two person limit, considering a group of pirates caught Dooku in TCW, I think that maybe a group of 15-30 regular people with blasters can take out Sidious. (So long as they aren't suicidally incompetent imperial cadets like in Ghost Prison).

Edit: *Also two sith apprentices teaming up is an impossible scenario since being that equally strong in the dark side means they would try to kill each other.

20. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Just because someone is better or more powerful than another doesn't mean they're unbeatable and will always win.

I like to watch tennis and even the all-time greats like Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal sometimes lose to lesser players, even no-name players who have never won a tournament. If you took Windu, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Sidious, Maul and other great Jedi/Sith and had them all fight each other one-on-one several times, I doubt there would be one of them that would win every single time. They're all close enough in power to beat each other with a little luck or under the right circumstances.

21. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004

Sooo, what exactly was their rescue plan? They flew there with two single-seat fighters and had 3 people to get back home... Were they going to tell Palpatine to hold his breath and strap him to a wing? Palpatine tells them to "get help" -- from whom? from where? They had no backup, no drop ship coming to pick them up. Worse their fighters got trashed.

Are you telling me their plan was to kill everyone on the bridge and crash land the ship from the beginning? What if Grievous didn't bring them to the bridge in the first place? What if Grievous fled the battle and jumped the ship to hyperspace. Then what?

22. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    2007 Super Bowl: Undefeated 18-0 New England Patriots are 2:32 away from the first 19-0 undefeated season in history. They lose to the wildcard New York Giants.

[​IMG]

Eli blew up the Death Star, so to speak.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm sure there are many real-world politicians who have read a history book about organizations from the Middle Ages. Also, Palpatine apparently first heard about the Sith while in college.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    According to The Clone Wars: Wild Space, the Jedi also told him & Padme the basics about the Sith, after the events of TPM- figuring that after the Maul incident, the Supreme Chancellor would need to know about it.

25. butlerd

butlerd Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    I always thought that Mace had him on the ropes but he was able to recover when Anakin showed up. Plus he might have been playing up his "weakness" to win Anakin's sympathy/manipulate him into helping him of course