main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Clone Wars Ends With Order 66

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Animal style.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Hair club for men has a new spokesman, or Dave's a human chia pet.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  3. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Why is everyone on here so vicious towards the TCW crew all of a sudden? Like, GGrievous level mean-spirited. [face_dunno]

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I don't think anyone is serious.

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Would you like a hug

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    "I've heard of dreadlocks, but ****locks? That's not your real hair. Take that thing off your head. You just go too far with the comedy, man." - Buddy Love

Nah, I like Filoni. He seems like a cool dude. And I really don't have any complaints on the director side of things in TCW. My biggest complaints are Lucas peeing over what others have done, like a dog marking his territory ("hey, guys, if you liked the microseries then you're going to love this super-duper OFFICIAL LUCASVERSE version of EVENTS!!!!!" -- which is now dead anyway, given his retirement). Or poor writing.

Yes, Filoni and Lucas had to go over the scripts, so they still share blame for them getting through the cracks... or spending time fawning over a cake or alley cats...

But no, Filoni was a cool dude, I think he did good work. Some of the jokes at his expense are funny, but in seriousness I wouldn't mind it if he were attached to the new Star Wars project -- though off Lucas' leash.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    You see I can't claim to know exactly who is at fault for various things in this show. I'm aware that Lucas was the one to want to bring Maul back.

Who wanted the 4-part D-Squad arc? Filoni seemed to be a big advocate of that, and I've got to assume Brent Friedman just had nothing to work with. Unless he genuinely liked the dialogue?

I don't know enough about the inner workings of TCW to place the blame on a particular person, I just complain when there's something to complain about. And applaud the team when there's something to applaud naturally.

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    [​IMG]

JackG likes this.
  9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    07jonesj

Well, some fault Filoni for his optimism towards everything, like how he defended the D-squad arc as you mentioned.

That kind of enthusiasm could be genuine, but it could also just be good PR.

I HATED the D-squad arc, but I'm sure if I had Filoni's job I would be touting how amazing it was and how George was a genius publicly... I would just be trying my hardest to dissuade George from going through with it privately. And if I were doing my job right, nobody would ever know how much I hated it.

It's not like Filoni can go in front of a camera and talk about how much he hated the idea and that he disapproves of it 100% and to blame Lucas. The closest thing to a criticism I've ever seen him give is that he would have made Tamson look more alien and like less of a Great White Shark in a CIS uniform.

When you do get people that openly speak poorly of a project, like how Hugo Weaving has done recently in regards to Transformers and Captain America (moreso the first), it just looks unprofessional, ungrateful... and generally they're smart enough to not say anything bad until after they've been paid and the project is done.

If he truly did hate what Lucas was doing with TCW, we probably wouldn't know until Filoni was released from LucasFilm, and really only if he were spiteful and unprofessional about it.

07jonesj likes this.
  10. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Order 66 is right if I'm reading the latest news story correctly - layoffs for the crew working on the series. To me, that means that whatever they had been working on will go unfinished and I doubt we'll ever see that bonus content they promised. While I didn't like all of the story arcs and continuity changes the series caused, I still thought a lot of the content was pretty good. I'm nost surprised the series was cancelled, but I think would be a damn shame to let all those talented people get away. Hopefully there won't be any huge layoffs - waste of talent and a lousy addition to an already crippled economy.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  11. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    So that's why...

12. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    The odds of us ever getting to see the end of TCW were low if they were really working two years ahead of where we were. Had there been no plans to go ahead with Episode VII, then it would probably have been allowed to finish. Working so far ahead doesn't even really allow for the show to adapt to fan response.
    Plus if the ratings tanked and they wanted to pull the plug, there was going to be a lot of money wasted by working so far ahead. If they intended to go to Season 8, that would have pushed right up to Episode VII, if not beyond it, something that Disney probably did not want.

13. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Yeah - what TG said.

As I've noted before, there were times in interviews when Filoni talking about working with Lucas sounded a lot like Kif talking about working with Zap Brannigan. All couched, of course, but it was there. In truth, we really don't know how many of the questionable ideas we saw in TCW came from Filoni and crew as opposed to how many came straight from the top. Probably a lot of the latter. We'll find out someday - someone will write a tell-all book sooner or later.

14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Although I see the majority of this board blaming Disney for the show not receiving the ending it wanted, I think you've also got to blame Filoni and co. for becoming complacent.

A series should always have a gameplan, an ending they generally have in mind, and a story to tell. Whenever asked about how long the show would go, the answer was always, "We have so many stories to tell in the Clone Wars, we could go another 100 episodes." And that screams to me of wasting the viewers time. Have a story to tell, and tell it. If it takes 5 seasons, fine. But I can't think of any story that would take 8 seasons to tell.

Season 5 demonstrated that they were willing to waste 4 episodes (D-Squad) on unadulterated filler, and that signifies that they were willing to stretch this show out forever if allowed.

I wish they'd have cut the filler from the show and just made the show more meaty. Tell us the story, and have less pointless deviations.

Overall, I love this show, that's obvious to anyone who follows my posts. But it was damn frustrating whenever the show went on tangents that seemed to hold no purpose.

AvadaKenobi likes this.
  15. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    How the hell is it filoni's fault? He's not the one who cancelled the show pre-maturely. What did you expect him to do?

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Not complacently believe that this TV show would last 15 seasons. Tell your story, cut the filler. That's definitely Filoni's fault. Every single season had some sort of filler (well, Seasons 2 and 4 didn't really have much).

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Depends on the time period. If back in 2005 Lucas was thinking about telling his version of Darth Bane, or setting a show post-ROTJ, etc. The shows could go on indefinitely. With TCW, we knew how it started, we knew how it ended. Everything that was important was covered in the films, a TV show - even the microseries - was unnecessary to telling that story. Yeah, it helped develop Grievous more, and some of what happens - like the upcoming Order 66 story - will retroactively affect how the films are viewed, but it wasn't necessary, and on top of that, expanding the war into an indefinite amount of seasons.

Yeah, you can cram an indefinite amount of numbers between 2 and 3 (2.10, 2.11 [...] 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 [...] 2.9, 2.99, 2.999, 2.9999, 2.99999 [...] 2.9999999999999999999).

It always seemed like we were getting "closer" to ROTS, indefinitely so, like it's always right around the corner... 5 seasons later and it could still be "just around the corner."

They should have slowed things down if they wanted to go for an indefinite amount of seasons. Make aesthetic and changes to character with a consistent flow across the series from beginning to end. Don't make it feel like ROTS could be right around the corner from S4, but then go on for 4-6 more seasons just because you can. If ROTS didn't exist yet, then they would not have been boxed in like that - which is why I wasn't too keen on a TCW show (that + the war was staged + we had the microseries).

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I was not sure how another 100 episodes could work with what is a 3 1/2 year war anyway.

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Time to move on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.