main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Not just no loyalty... but actively repulsed! So the question is, will the marketing be strong enough to hide what is for most of the global audience the stench of being a Star Trek movie.

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Because Benedict Cumberbatch.

3. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I watched the first episode of that Sherlock Holmes series that guy is in. The writing was great, Freeman was great, the surprises were mostly good (except for the cab driver, I saw that coming a mile away), but I'm sorry, I couldn't get over how weird Cumberbatch looks. He looks marginally better in the ST trailers.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Unlikely. The smart thing would be to reduce the budget and try to make Trek films for under $100 million a piece. Personally, I'd pay to see an innovative Trek movie made on a District 9 budget.

Coruscant likes this.
  5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    What an excellent idea. You should be a Hollywood producer.

(99.9% of the time if I used those two sentences like that, it'd be sarcastic)

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If you mean in overall dollar value:

Budget: $150 million
    Box office: $385,494,555

You are wrong.

However, it made far less in terms of budget-to-BO ratio than any of the previous Star Trek films, I believe. TWOK and TVH were like 8:1 or something.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I too am nervous upon how this one will do at the B.O.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    No. If a movie can't make three times its budget, then it is at best a marginal success. The studios split 50/50 with theaters more or less, but on top of that they have to recoup international marketing costs, so the rule of thumb is 3 x budget for profitability, maybe more for a movie like Trek that clearly spent a lot on advertising. $450 million worldwide would have been a clear success. As it is, probably broke even on DVD/Blu-Ray and ancillary revenues.

9. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Is there a place you can look up DVD, Blue-Ray, download, etc... sales?

Ah, box office discussions. I remember them fondly. I quit at them for a while after I got into a several-page argument defending the capability of King Kong to make 500 million domestic even after it had already had a massively disappointing first weekend.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting trailer- it confirms that the ship crashing is, in fact, the Enterprise and not just another starship of the same class.

I'm struck by Cumberbatch the most in this trailer though- one thing you didn't see in the previous trailers, for the most part, is how he doesn't really express any motion above the mouth (most noticeable with the "cold corpse" line). He just has that cold locked expression for his eyes and upper face and just lets his mouth and lower face move- it gives him a very inhuman quality that I don' think I've ever seen before.

Is this something typical of his acting on Sherlock, etc? Or something he's doing specifically for this film?

11. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i think i hate movies.

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What about Robocop?:(

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
  14. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i like robocop. i guess what i mean is i hate what movies are now.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    These are the voyages of the rebooted Star Trek Franchise. It's ongoing mission...to stay out of space. To not so boldly explore concepts that previous entries have already covered.

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    So, Trek did $89 million in DVD sales, the 6th best title of 2009. Don't know what it did on Blu-Ray, but that certainly helps explain the sequel. The home market for Trek was very solid.

17. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    people were dazzled by all the lens flares. hypnotized, if you will.

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    According to Dark Horizons "90% of the trailer contains scenes from just the first half-hour of the movie, meaning a LOT of major elements about the movie have yet to come to light."

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So they're doing The Dark Knight approach?

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Seemingly so. TDK, Skyfall and STID certainly look to be a proper triple feature in the future.

I don't think you can look at the Trek franchise as coldly as other big budget franchise-hopeful features. There was no way Paramount would not make another Star Trek movie (assuming the film wasn't a complete disaster)- the franchise would go on, just potentially with a smaller budget pending the reboot's performance.

The video sales were a plus, but a sequel was inevitable based on just the theatrical performance (before the final totals were even in), in other words.

This isn't Tron, where the film broke even theatrically (domestically, a little over doubled worldwide, about the same range Trek is in, really) but has a franchise going forward due to strong video and toy sales (primarily, at least- there were obviously other franchise establishing factors to offset total profitability concerns for Legacy, but video sales were still a big one). This is Star Trek- the worst case scenario would still result in a new TV series at the very least.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    A bit yeah. Only with fluffier hair.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    For comparison for Jabbadabbado

TWOK: Cost 11, Made 97
    TVH: Cost 21, Made 133

23. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Somebody online is posting spoilers from the movie, thought I'd share 'em with you guys if anyone is interested.

I don't trust them, but it all sounds very very likely.

Benedict Cumberbatch isn't Khan. He's just John Harrison, a rogue Section 31 agent.

Harrison was genetically advanced by Starfleet, and wants revenge on them.

He gets caught by Starfleet on purpose.

Approximately 75% of the movie takes place on Earth.

End of the movie has TOS Enterprise being constructed (supposedly after having been destroyed).

Nibiru is the planet in the prologue.

Kirk is beat up a lot.

Harrison has superstrength, superagility (he says superjumps), enhanced intelligence, healing ability.

Lots of redshirts die, Peter Weller's character dies.

Harrison bites it via teleportation, that's all the informant would let out.

EDIT: Added info:

Pike is critically injured, but pulls through.

Harrison was left for dead by Starfleet, and now wants to destroy every aspect of them he can find. He manipulates people to get them to do what he wants, but mostly works alone. (my input: this is corroborated by what we saw in the prologue, where Mickey from Doctor Who is approached by Harrison and heals his daughter, or something like that).

Keenser is back, and is supposedly pivotal.

Harrison attempts to start a war between Starfleet and the Klingons on Qo'Nos.

The crew tries to get to Robert April's old ship to get secrets about Section 31. This is that space jump scene from the trailer.

The score is really good apparently.

I'll update this post as I get more info.

Source:
    4chan

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    New post since my edit time has run out.

There's a mention of repopulating 'New Vulcan'.

Harrison likes to dissect the Enterprise crew. He can identify their weaknesses and is able to create tension between Kirk and Spock.

Harrison has 'some great quotes, a badass plan, and a very awesome death'.

There's quite a bit of Kirk/Spock. The whole Prime Directive things, the risks they both take for eachother, it's pretty nice.​

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nothing about that synopsis sounds implausible. Or particularly exciting.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.