main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Could Mortis have something to do with Episode 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by the-jedi-prince, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    You should probably just ignore that statement... I'm over now it anyway [face_peace]

2. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Oh God, I hope not! I didn't like that story.

fenton and KevinM1 like this.
  3. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    But if it's really that big a deal, lets just say that because the stories involving Mortis do happen in a higher EU canon T.V show ''The Clone Wars'', it's continuity stands above that of the lower canon EU books and as such not subject to the possibility of being altered or erased like the books when it comes to the ST...... However if Disney want to for whatever reason go ahead and erase a good deal of EU ''T.V shows included'' from canon ''i.e. so that Mortis never existed'' then whats to stop them from doing so.

4. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Same here. It just didn't make much sense or have any real impact.

We know that Anakin will turn to the Dark Side, so we don't need any more foreshadowing. We don't really learn much about The Force, aside from it having anthropomorphic avatars (which is a horrible idea, IMO). And since no one remembers anything, none of the characters are impacted by it at all.

It's really just a poorly conceived "What if?" whose only redeeming factor was having Liam Neeson return for about a minute's worth of dialogue.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please... no Mortis.

Ryus and KevinM1 like this.
  6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I haven't seen the 'Mortis' trilogy but the story seems to be very interesting. I'd love to see the nature of the Force expanded and presented in some interesting new ways, and from what I heard the 'Mortis' trilogy does just that (while dividing the entire fanbase, of course :p ).

I'd love to see more elements like the cave on Dagobah in future films.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Dagobah cave = excellent storytelling.
    Mortis = horrible storytelling.

IMO. :p

Ryus, Blip, JackG and 3 others like this.
  8. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Wow! I came across this thread Googled Mortis and was horrified by what I read. A storyline involving this is not how I would expect Disney/LFL to introduce the Sequel Trilogy. Way too mystical. One of the great things about the OT is that things were kept fairly simple. The audience knew where everybody stood. Introducing the Son, Daughter, Mother, Father I suspect would be too much for many in the audience to swallow.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    As someone who has yet to see The Clone Wars but is very, very intrigued by the premise of this episode, I think something like this has the potential to be quite interesting in Episode VII and beyone. Maybe not with literal characters embodying the various sides of the Force, but something along those lines of what I'm assuming went down in this episode. Personally speaking, I think throwing the audience off guard a little bit would actually be a good thing. Give this trilogy its own identity while keeping in line with what game before, just as the previous two had their own while still being reflective of one another.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I liked the Mortis storyline in the show very much, but I agree that it's not likely something they will address in the movies.

11. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I am all for establishing a unique identity for the Sequel trilogy. I can even go with throwing the audience off guard. However, Mortis is not the way.

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Everytime I see your icon, I want to vomit. ;)

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think it's more likely that we are going to see a trilogy that features concventional protagonists vs antagonists. As interesting as the Mortis storyline is, I don't see them using it in a film meant for general audiences.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You know, It wouldn't have surprised me if they revealed Mother Talzin was an Anchorite, too. She seems like she could have been one, what with her appearance and all. But who knows if the Anchorites even exist? Maybe Filoni and co. will elaborate on this before the show is over, eh?

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If Mortis is so controversial, why doesn't anyone complain about the Dagobah cave?

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Because what eht13 said.

And nobody mentions the "Chosen One" in the Dagobah cave.

Ryus and eht13 like this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Dagobah:
    "What's in there?"
    "Only what you take with you."

Mortis:
    "Check it out, we have a yin-yang design on the floor here."

Ryus, JackG, Jcuk and 2 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mortis is what happens when, instead of telling him to go home and rethink his life, Obi-Wan actually becomes Elan Sleazebaggano's client, as do Anakin and Ahsoka:

Ryus, the-jedi-prince and eht13 like this.
  19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Because it was the dark side presence in the cave that created a vision for Luke to see a possible future of his.

Mortis? Well, who knows what it was. A weird dream? A vision of the future? A voyage to the past? A parallel dimension? A world deep in the outer rim? A world in another galaxy? The afterlife plane of the Force, perhaps? None of the above? I mean, what was it? Too many questions. At least we know what the cave is.

Ryus and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    For all we know, the cave was just a complicated Jedi mind trick of Yoda's to teach Luke a lesson. If not, at face value it's made clear that it is an area of the planet strong with the dark side of the force. Who knows why.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, but the point is that the scene told us one thing, which was a warning to Luke if he persists in following his unaware father's foot steps (being afraid and all), then he would end up like him in the end. Clear cut, if you ask me.

Ryus and Captain Tom Coughlin like this.
  22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes, it was clearly a warning to Luke about his possible destiny

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Mortis was a warning to Anakin and Anakin didn't heed it. The cave was a warning to Luke and Luke did heed it.

24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Mortis was not a warning to Anakin, Anakin's memory of it was wiped by The Father after The Son attempted to turn Anakin to the dark side by showing him his future. That is not a warning. Far from it.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Because they're not identical, or even close.

One is good.

The other is not.

Ryus and anakinfansince1983 like this.