main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Interesting skill of Obi Wan in the RotS novel

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I recently read the novel of RotS again and found some interesting stuff.

During his duel against Anakin, Obi Wan as able to use the Force to reverse the polarity of the electrodrivers in Anakin's mechanical hand. Since he could do it against Anakin, then shouldn't he use this skill against Vader later? Vader was more machine than man, if Obi Wan could affect the mechanical device in Vader's suit, he could easily defeat Vader.

2. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    Good observation.

The Vader-Obi Wan duel in ANH was much slower than their duel in ROTS. It wasn't so much about action and using Force Powers against your enemy in a fast duel, as it was a slow quiet duel between estranged friends. That's why we didn't see Obi Wan and Vader using the Force against each other in ANH.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Obi-wan: why are you hitting yourself Anakin??

Anakin: *Anakin inadvertantly whacking himself in the face* stop that!!!

thesevegetables likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Reverse the what? Explain in simple English please?

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well why didn't he just do that the moment their fight started and decapitate him?! I dunno, that power seems stupid to me <__<

Sitara likes this.
  7. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Because it wouldn't have been as cool. Although, Vader doing uncontrollable face-palms would have been pretty funny.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Because he hasn't embraced the necessity of killing Anakin yet.

ILNP likes this.
  9. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    But only if Jim Carrey played Anakin Skywalker...

10. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    This is the reason why the EU is and will always be irrelevant.

First, why would it only work once? If it is because Anakin would be aware of it and protect himself against it, then why the heck didn't he do it from the get go, since he was a fully trained Jedi Knight (some would say Master level)

KilroyMcFadden and DARTHSHAME like this.
  11. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    There is the answer to your question.

ILNP likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It was against Anakin, not the mostly machined Vader, unlike the hand, he could not control most of his mechanical parts.

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    May possibly be alone here but that duel was so overblown it ended up being ridiculous. Why did have to go on for so long? We all knew Obi wan was going to win. Their duel in ANH, even though they were old men, was far more meaningful. IMO

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  14. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    There is a thread about unpopular Star Wars opinions and I noted the Mustafar duel as being underwhelming. There was so much hype to it over the years that when I finally saw it I was totally disappointed. So, you are definitely not alone.

KilroyMcFadden and Jcuk like this.
  15. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Really? Their duel in ANH is arguably the most boring one in the whole saga. And since we all knew what was going to happen, then why watch the prequels in the first place? You want to shorten one of the most epic film climaxes in history just because you already knew Anakin would become Darth Vader? =/ I'm not sure how the duel is any less meaningful either. Obi-wan's words during that fight [[["You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Sith! Not join them! Bring balance to the Force; not leave it in darkness! You were my brother Anakin. I loved you."]]] were more powerful than anything he said in ANH. People keep saying the duel was starved for dialog when it really wasn't.

ILNP likes this.
  16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well that's your view and that's fair enough. But original viewers of the ANH duel had no clue Obi wan would sacrifice himself to help Luke. Neither did Vader. Now, fast forward to the video game duel of ROTS and you intrinsically know that no matter how much great (yawn) choreography you see Anakin is gonna end up in a bad way. Not Obi wan. So, where's the tension? Where's the mystery? Can you see my point or are you just too....

17. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    No, I see your point. I'm just saying that it's silly (IMO) to diss the Mustafar duel just because you know what's going to happen. That argument can be applied to the entire PT. I mean, if you don't care for the PT then that's all fine and dandy--but otherwise I don't see why their duel in EP3 should be seen differently. I don't think the original viewers are very relevant either. The same can be said for the PT duel since (new) viewers today might see it before they do ANH. The shock value of seeing the story's main character burnt to a crisp is pretty high too.

To me it sounds like you doomed the PT-duel to failure before it was even shot just because you already knew the outcome. Not for the scene itself. That's just my opinion anyway.

As for the topic--I dunno. I didn't read the novel and I've never seen Obi-wan use that power in the movie. I'm not a staunch EU-hater or anything, but I would take what the book said about it with a grain of salt. Because at the end of the day, it's some EU author's word against GL's. If we're talking about plot holes in either the OT or the PT as a whole then I'm only considering what went into those movies, not what was stated or implied in its novelization or some alternative source.

I also liked Klingon Padawan's answer. I think Obi-wan really embraced his death before facing Vader. Even planned on it. He probably could have given Vader more of a fight if he wanted to,
    but knew that in the end he wouldn't be successful and sacrificed himself so that Luke and co. could escape the DS.

18. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    If it wouldn't work twice, why would it work once? Why wouldn't Anakin protect himself against the move from the getgo, instead of waiting for it to be used on him before protecting himself?

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Because he's never had it used on him before.

He may not have been paying attention when Obi-Wan used it on Grievous.

ILNP likes this.
  20. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    It's like hacking once you find a really cool exploit in the system, that exploit will be fixed as soon as they can get a patch in.

I assume once Anakin realizes what's going on it will be effortless for him to create a deffense.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't know why they would say that. It's the "duel of the fates" that usually makes people feel starved for dialogue.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    I think that he did it against Grievous too.

But, wasn't Obi-Wan death deliberate, to open the road for the new protagonist?

23. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Anakin was a fully trained Jedi Knight. Why would he not find this 'exploit'? Do you honestly think that during a war against a DROID ARMY the Jedi would keep secret techniques of fighting against said droids from their own students?

That really doesn't make any sense...what does make sense though, is a poorly written novel.

24. Prodigy_Knight

Prodigy_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2013
    As I understand it Obi-Wan only figured out this exploit when fighting Griveious, so not a lot of opportunities to to pass it on to Anakin.

As I said all the difficulty is in noticing these clever little exploits:
    • Anakin didn't figure it out because he's a overpower the problem rather than subtlety thinker
    • Anakin still thinks of himself as having 2 natural hands, yes he knows on the rational level he has a cyborg hand but he doesn't see himself as cyborg
    • Anakin if he knew Obi-wan developed a trick against cyborgs, he doesn't expect him to use it against him come on they're like brothers
    If Obi-Wan developed the trick at a much earlier point, if he had told Anakin "hey see I could in theory use this on you" yes I'd think Anakin could figure out the defence without needing to be "hit by it" because it's probably simple.

ILNP likes this.
  25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Well, Obi-Wan didn't exactly plan to walk away from his fight with Vader in A New Hope. Though it can be argued that Obi-Wan's abilities had generally weakened by that point.