main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What's Next For Luke Skywalker .Vs. Abeloth And/Or Mortis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth JSlom, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Darth JSlom

Darth JSlom Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2012
    I am extreamly curious as to how they are going to proceed here. Will Abeloth be back? Will the Jedi ever find the dagger and will it be effective against Abeloth? Will The Son be back? He died by the hand of Anakin Skywalker's Lightsaber. I thought he had to die by the dagger? What's everyone else's opinoin?

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm torn on what to expect honestly.

On one hand, we all moaned with how Caedus was killed off, saying it'd have been much better had he stayed alive, and stories got back to building off one another to create a distinct era, as opposed to totally isolated series with little interconnection. On the other hand, after nine books and countless retcons to do with Abeloth being involved in this, that, and everything else, it raises the problem of there being too much of a good (or bad) thing.

My personal preference? Keep her in the background for now, but don't mean that she's forgotten. Palpatine was in the background as Emperor for two decades, without being the sole focus of every story, so I'm happy enough for now to just have "Defeat Abeloth" be put on the heroes' "to do list" as and when a solution reveals itself -- as with Palpatine, the Imperial Remnant, or whatever else happens to have been the lingering threat in the background of a given era.

Pellaeon and the Moffs might not have been "dealt with" overnight, and it may have taken years to reach the Bastion Accords, but not every story in between focused on them, even if the Empire was constantly "there" waiting to return.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    this goes against my personal opinions about accepting the novels thta we are given, but part of me wants to delete history and bring us back to The Unifying Force as our last novel. Erase everything else. Bring back Mara, and write stories that do not include force Gods and a planet full of sith.

Mazzic, JackG, Sable_Hart and 2 others like this.
  4. lukemaraben

lukemaraben Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I totally AGREE!!!!

Mazzic and Sable_Hart like this.
  5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Most likely not if someone other than Denning gets his hands around that era.

I wouldn't mind something dealing with this and putting it to rest. And then when the book is over we never see The Son or the Fathar or Daughter again.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I would be happy with her in the background for a spell, but as something that will return eventually. I want a decent era out of her. A backdrop is amazing now, considering that we have not had one for the entirety of the NJO and LotF, and least not one actively used in a collaborative fashion e.g. the One Sith, who appear, get foiled, and disappear again with little sense of an over-arching plan.

Manisphere, your sig says they, not 'the', btw.

7. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    i'm curious if Luke becoming the Father of Balance turns out to be a plotline later. Would be a nice way to connect back to the Mortis trilogy.

8. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    It would be great if Abeloth truly remained in the background as this unseen menace effecting numerous people for a few years, and then made this massive return to shake things up. Of course it'd probably all have to happen and be resolved before Krayt's time. As it is i'd like to see the Jedi search and find the dagger and maybe some more information on the Ones, perhaps something that will lead to Luke having to look at himself and decide to take up that role as the Father.

9. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013
    I would love to see Abeloth return in a novel series at some point in the near future.

The idea of him eventually becoming the father after eventually locating the Monolith and defeating Abeloth for good would be great, although as said above, it would definitely have to be before the Legacy graphic novels as by that time, Luke has passed on and only appears as a force ghost to Cade Skywalker.

I'd also like a novel or something set back millions of years ago explaining the origins of The Ones and Abeloth. I know we got a brief summary about this from the Killiks but i mean a full novel to explore it all in detail, and also can finally address the history of the Celestials and if they really are linked with the Ones.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by the Book of Sith, the Winged Goddess and the Fanged God that the Nightsisters worship, seem awfully like the Daughter and the Son.

Maybe only their "avatars" died on Mortis?

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    She will end like the Prophets of the Dark Side, killed off in some of hand remark in an Insider article (aka the graveyard of obscure force users). Krayt being a good candidate to do the deed actually ;)

13. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I was under the impression that she was unlikely to be returning any time in the next millennium

14. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Abeloth-as-executed turned out to be one of the most abysmal concepts in the EU. I'm all for some sort of menacing Eldritch Abomination beyond the Sith... but it really didn't help that she got her squidly ass kicked every single time we saw her.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    We all moaned about how Caedus was killed off because the authors sacrificed the hero of the NJO and sole remaining Solo son to facilitate his creation. If anyone could have been a recurring and threatening antagonist to build an era around, it was him.

Abeloth is just the latest villain to pulled from a hat. If she lives? Whatever, she'll do. If she dies? Whatever, she can be replaced.

Caedus, on the other hand, was irreplaceable. Throwing him under the bus the way they did was more shortsighted than turning him evil in the first place.

16. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Hmm. My opinion is that Abeloth is much more original than Caedus. Latest villain? Absolutely. As ongoing stories need new villains over time. And I think one could argue that by not killing Abby, they'd learned a lesson. Also, leaving Jacen alive, would have been much more open ended emotionaly. Then again, we all see things differently.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree -- on both counts -- but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.

The Powers That Be destroyed Jacen Solo to make way for a new villain, Darth Caedus, and then pissed that new villain away. I'd have rather they never turned Jacen to the dark side, sure, but if they HAD to, we deserved to get a terrifying and compelling antagonist out of the deal. Someone who could go the distance. Someone to seriously step up and fill the void left in the wake of Sidious and Vader.

We got jack. A pretender at best.

Who, exactly, was ruined to create Abeloth? Callista? (lol) Whatever happens to her and whatever she does, she's still just the latest bad guy in a long, long list.

Caedus was not "just" anything.

Grey1, kataja, RC-1991 and 3 others like this.
  18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i would like to see jacen come back and be like he was during the Force Heretic trilogy. If you are going to make him a villian then make him a new type of villain. One with some compassion and integrity and class.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    From what I can tell Uli, there's a perfect cocktail of problems with what DN/LOTF did with Jacen:

1. They didn't want to make him a villain, one of the few areas of consensus on LOTF on the board looks to be that Caedus, as villain, only really worked in Invinicible, surely something's gone wrong then? If so what? Ah wait....

2. Everything's a point of view! So they had the idea of trying to make Jacen/Caedus understandable. A villain cares nothing for understanding, if Darth Vader turns up at your door with stormtroopers, he ain't gonna give a toss about you being understanding, he's doing what he wants because he wants to and you can't stop him. (Plus, if Vader does pay you a visit? Admit it, you screwed up!)

3. Using Jacen at all is giving a finger to the fanbase for the character, much like killing Mara was. Why not do a new adversary? Oh but there's no emotional connection! Well create one then.

4. A 3-book story racked out to fill 9 books mixed with all the increased expectations the greater length creates. If you have a 3-book series and a 9-book, it's reasonable to expect a bigger bang for the end of book 9 rather than book 3. (Density of plot can wreck this notion though, with a bigger bang being delivered by a shorter series.) One thing that you can probably get away with in a 3-book is the villain escaping to plot revenge, for 9-books, all hardbacks, much, much harder. But there's also....

5. The heroes must demonstrate success by killing their adversary, who has spread mayhem and destruction far and wide. If the villain escapes, it is the heroes fault and all future deaths caused by that person are their fault too. Thus the only option that remains? Offing said villain. If he takes a hostage, will kill them through the hostage then too. We're no longer in fairytale territory where the hero wins by being moral and right, they have to get their hands dirty and endure huge costs.

And then there's SW EU's general tendency to insecurity over other high-profile stories, like 24 or Game of Thrones. Realising that it can't really do what those stories do and that it isn't what people necessarily expect from SW EU might be a smart move. It might have meant no destruction of Jacen Solo.

Reveen and Zeta1127 like this.
  20. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Does anyone thing Ableloth will turn up in Crucible?

21. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    According to my calculations, the odds of Abeloth appearing in Crucible is nine-million-three-hundred-and-seventy-five-thousand-nine-hundred-and-eighty-five to one!

22. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I agree. Abeloth is gone for ahwile

23. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think so too.

24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Can we get some Mnggal-Mnggal instead, please?