main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Future Star Wars animated projects to be produced by Disney TV division not Lucasfilm.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by rezpen, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I never really had a problem with the Jedi in the OT. It's the PT and TCW where I think they were portrayed as more morally ambiguous. And if I was in a position of power, such as a senator, during the re-construction of the Republic following the Battle of Endor, I would say "oh hell no" to the prospect of allowing the Jedi as much prestige or power as they had before.

+ A Jedi allegedly orders the clone army - the Jedi have an opportunity to shoot down using the army but instead choose to utilize it for convenience.
    + A Jedi falls to the Dark Side and begins The Clone Wars via which Palpatine ascends to the position of Emperor.
    + Anakin Skywalker, hero of the Clone Wars, joins the Emperor and replaces Dooku - himself a Jedi - to help cement Palpatine's power.
    + Jedi have become Sith at least once in the past and have created galaxy wide crises (more times in the EU).
    + Luke goes AWOL during the biggest fight for the fate of the galaxy, turns himself over to the Emperor voluntarily so that he can go be with his dad (would anyone buy this?)
    + Jedi are okay with keeping slave army - Yes, they are slaves. They were sold to the Republic as property.
    + Remaining Jedi stayed in hiding and didn't help the Rebels out in any way.
    + Jedi were complete ***** to Ahsoka and threw her under the bus to appease the senate.

The last one affects more the audience than onlookers IU, but some of these - particularly the repeating pattern of Jedi turning to the Dark Side and threatening the Galaxy - just seems like it would lead to anti-Jedi legislature similar to the anti-mutant fear in X-Men.

If they are going to tear down the Post-ROTJ EU, that seems like the route I'd like to see them go, if they are going to start anew. Luke shouldn't be a hero... He blew up the first Death Star but in ROTJ he didn't help out at all. He snuck off in the night and surrendered to the Imperials, and once it becomes public knowledge that he's Vader's kid, that there were Jedi that were still alive that didn't contribute to the Rebellion in any way, and with what had transpired with Jedi turning to the Dark Side and helping Palpatine's rise to power... I would think that Luke would have one hell of a time battling public opinion and re-establishing the Order.

QuangoFett, Nubbs and Circular_Logic like this.
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    We don't know why they're doing this. It could be that Disney is really cheap and they don't want to spend that kind of money on a animated series made for tv. Or that Lucas was very generous and Filoni and Co. were over paid. Or maybe the current writers weren't coming up with good enough scripts for the show. e.g. The latest Droids arc.

What ever the case, it's sad knowing that people are losing their jobs over this. I hope they were allowed to stay on so they can at least finish up season six, though.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That would make an interesting story.

They wouldn't have to entirely tear down existing EU to make it work though. The New Republic Senate in the NJO that I've read so far, is not exactly feeling warm and fuzzy towards the Jedi.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    In the FC interview, JAT said that initially Lucas was pretty much paying for TCW out of pocket and rightly comments that we'll probably never see that kind of thing (at least in relation to SW) again. And with that kind of animation, and working two years ahead, it just seems like they would have had to have been sinking A LOT of money into TCW yearly, and Lucas seems like the kind of guy that will apparently keep the show going if it's not seeing good returns, whereas Disney would not.

Consistent ratings are all well and good, but I don't know how much of a profit they translated into. It might not have been worth it. They could probably turn out some cheaper, yet still quality 2D show and have a far wider profit margin.

It might have been a variety of factors, including elimination of Lucas Animation in favor of Disney's own animation studios, too little profit, shifting resources to a new project that would better tie into Episode 7, etc.

Kathleen Kennedy is president of LucasFilm now, is good friends with Lucas, and served as co-chair with Lucas prior to the Disney buyout. She was the one being groomed to be his replacement, who has knowledge of how the company was run, and I somehow doubt that her voice goes unheard. She had her own company and is a very accomplished producer. It's not like she's going to go have to go collect unemployment if she left LucasFilm and I doubt she would give up her own company just to be Disney's yes *****. Yeah, Disney has the leverage to tell her what to do, but she is responsible for the financial success of LucasFilm, she's running it day-to-day, and so I think Disney would be foolish to ignore her input.

Which makes me think that she is probably advocating these changes along with Disney - but none of these reports ever really name names.

Lucas never struck me as the greatest business man. Make Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and then collect money from merchandising from Star Wars indefinitely. But then get passionate about a project like TCW and sink money into it before the infrastructure is even there to support it. And his refusal to make 7-9 just seems like an idiotic decision from a business standpoint. He authorizes them now that the company is going to Disney, but even if he refused to direct them himself, he still could have gone forward with them with someone else in the director's chair. Instead he denied that they were ever going to get made. Those were obvious films that would have been to the great benefit of his company, but instead he tweaks the OT and re-releases the PT in 3D. LucasArts hasn't make a good game in awhile. Apparently Lucas is in part to blame for the issues with 1313. He authorizes the microseries but then soon after decides to override it with his own show with so many terrible ideas (e.g. D-squad) that deviate from being relevant to any aspect of the story told throughout the films or even the other episodes of TCW, etc...

The state of LucasFilm could have been an absolute mess with reckless and needless spending. Businesses try to make money, and Lucas seemed like the kind of guy that would just sink money recklessly into projects just because he wanted to see them, not really because it was financially wise. I don't know that Disney would do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if LucasArts gets shut down or sees massive downsizing and layoffs. The animation department was probably redundant. I imagine that future comics will go to Marvel as Disney stands to gain more profit from that arrangement than to continue to see them produced by Dark Horse, etc.

Those are the novels with the Vong, right? How are they? I haven't read a SW novel since Shadows of the Empires and relatively recently started looking at the comics. I'm nearly caught up on Dawn of the Jedi and thought the Star Wars: Empire comics or the Vong novels might be what I look to next.

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Yes it would. Abused kids grow up to become angry young people who lash out, have trouble controlling their emotions, struggle with addictions, and up in and out of jail... just ask someone who's been a foster parent to an abused child how rough that can be.

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I know you asked Anakinfan but I'm totally going to intercept the question and tell you that the New Jedi Order series of novels is some of my favourite SW material of all. It's a fairly dark storyline with some heartfelt light moments.

The Yuuzhan Vong conflict feels like what the Clone Wars used to feel like - a somewhat lengthy conflict that is clearly mapped out. You really feel like you experience the entire story.

Whether you're looking for political upheavals, the Jedi losing favour with the galactic state (this series, Legacy of the Jedi and Fate of the Jedi really have this plot point, and since you said you would like to see that, I really think you'll enjoy what they do with it here), a deadly war with real casualties, or a plotline that was clearly planned ahead and unravels the further you read, this is the series for you. ;)

The first novel, Vector Prime, is terrific, so you could easily just read the first novel and decide from there if you wish to continue.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You see I disagree slightly here. I thought Lucas made the Clone Wars much to short (3 years!) for a galaxy wide war that even Luke on an out of the way desert planet knows about 20 years later and also to abstract and emotionless, with just Clones and Robots. It should have been far longer with a lot more damage and consequences for the galaxy. While the show did it's best to cover for that, it was always going to be hamstrung due to both those factors.

As for the NJO, that series was so long and (because Del-Rey was determined to show case as many authors as they could) disjointed, it got boring and was what made me give up on the EU. Admittedly I was already losing the will to live, due to Bantam and the Walker Texas Ranger books in Space they were churning out. Now I just stick to 1 or 2 authors and read there books only and that's it.

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    3 years of two massive armies battling it out, both testing out new weapons along the way could easily leave a devastating toll on the galaxy. The length of it never bothered me.

I'll just say I adamantly disagree with you on NJO. It sounds more like you got tired of novels more than anything else if you just read 1 or 2 authors' books now. Don't blame NJO, damn it! :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I am not sure if Lucas actually ever stated it only lasted three years. I think the timelines have pretty much all been constructed by the EU and you can take what the EU says with a grain of salt anyway. Of course it probably wouldn't of lasted too terribly long because the characters don't look too different. But there is no harm in taking it out to five years or a little longer (after all you can tell that in ROTS they made an obvious effort to make the characters look a little bit older than they did in Ep. II)

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm not sure I like the idea of Disney TV doing Star Wars animation. Its not like they have done anything good in a long time, like Gargoyles. I haven't watched a good Disney cartoon show in a very long time...unless Avengers:Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man count...which were cancelled too. I guess only good shows get cancelled...

The Shadow Emperor and Gallandro like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sorry, I must have missed this one earlier.

I'm only on the second NJO novel right now but I love it so far. The Vong are really, really well done villains--creepy as hell, ruthless and powerful, also nothing like the Jedi have seen before. Without giving away too much, they shun technological advances but they can manipulate aspects of the universe that are much larger than that.

Han, Leia, Luke and the Solo children are all written really well. My only complaint so far is Mara. I keep being told, not shown, how awesome she is and it's pissing me off. But I can overlook that based on how much I'm enjoying everything else.

12. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    We could see animation the quality of The Clone Wars again if and only if the series isn't aired on Disney XD. I think it's likely accurate the show costs too much for a cartoon / cable network. I don't even get Disney XD, so although I'm a huge fan of the series, I wouldn't be able to watch it or support it had it aired on Disney XD until the DVD was released.

Consider though, network TV. Air the show on ABC as an hour long series alongside SHIELD. It's Star Wars and if it's as consistently excellent as the best arcs of The Clone Wars, adults and kids will tune in....it could be a huge success with not just 2 mil, but possibly 7 - 10+ million viewers. There's where the added budget for high quality animation will come from if we were ever to see something in the same style of The Clone Wars in the future....and I really hope we do, because after this, 2D animation will just feel cheap in comparison (unless it looks as nice as Legend of Korra).

klooney likes this.
  13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Two words: Move on. ;)

You can't have everything in life.

14. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    We get it, you're too cool for school.

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Of course fans of the show would say otherwise (my comment). ;)

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Considering we haven't even seen the entire show yet, it's hard to move on from something that's not finished yet. ;)

KenobiSkywalker and VMeran like this.
  17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    CW finished in 2005. :p

18. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

No it didn't. :p

QuangoFett likes this.
  19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No, Genndy Tartakovsky's "Clone Wars" is the most over-rated piece of dreck with the Star Wars label slapped on it. Part one was tolerable when I watched it on the starwars.com web site, but Part 2, which I watched on DVD was the ONLY Star Wars that literally put me to sleep... and that includes both Ewok movies.

Just because it has the name Tartakovsky attached to it doesn't make it great. I'd gladly watch any episode of his FAR superior Dexter's Laboratory or Powerpuff Girls. Just an awful show.

Yancy

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think I've seen this point made by anyone.

Personally, I've never seen any other work by Tartakovsky.

Esg likes this.
  21. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    I think Sym-Bionic Titan was probably some of his best work in years. Shame it got cancelled.

Seerow, TrandoJedi and Gallandro like this.
  22. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I loved Samurai Jack. I watched Dexter's Lab back in the day, but Samurai Jack was def. my favorite from Tartakovsky.

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I watched Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack. Had no idea they were all produced by the same man until later in life. :p

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    You completely missed my point. Please try again.

Try adding "The" in front of CW.

Esg likes this.
  25. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Sorry, you referred to CW in 2005, which led me to believe you were referring to the 2nd Part of Tartakovsky's Clone Wars which aired in 2005, most people use CW to differential Genndy's Clone Wars from The Clone Wars (TCW).

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.