main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lucasfilm "dramatic downsizing"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I like Dave's work for the most part, think he did a great job overall. The series has clearly improved since it's first season and even when I personally didn't like a storyline, I at least had to objectively admire them for trying something new. Not perfect of course, and there were some very bad decisions (four part story arc about idiot pit droid and moronic frog general, I'm looking at you) but overall I hope he stays on board and does some SW animated stuff in the future.

2. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    As long as they put out a good product, I don't care who is looking after SW.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I feel the same.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I added the "most likely" in order to soften the blow of those who just can't fathom someone who would prefer projects other than Episode VII. And, no, I didn't already decide, but I have made a judgement based on everything we've heard about the project thus far, including the tiny, tiny, detail that is the director. And, yes, that judgement on my part may indeed be emphasized a bit by other projects being cancelled, as well as the general sentiment I've been getting around that everybody should not worry about that stuff and just enjoy the simple fact that more movies are coming. Well, like I said, kind of hard to do that when the previously announced stuff sounded more interesting, and the new director's name is to me what George Lucas and Michael Bay are to others.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm fine with Filoni around as an animator, but no, I don't want him directing anything else SW related.

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The truth is really you and I and everyone else love SW and care about things at varying levels. That's ok. And I'm with you on the TV front. I was excited about the LAS as much as anyone. But as Ive said almost ad nauseum in this thread.......we dont know what to expect yet. Things are still in flux. There might be some really cool TV stuff coming. We just don't know yet.

And we all get emotional about the ST because we either are disappointed at what has happened on the TV front over the last few weeks, and we blame the ST for that, or we want the ST to be great on its own merits. Those are all valid POV.

Now lets get back to discussing Lucasfilm's downsizing and what to expect.

[face_peace]

7. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Can't really say this is unexpected, although it is disappointing to see a talented team that has really hit its stride these past few years just thrown to the wind. It may be that some of them get rolled into Disney to work on future SW content, but that's just me sitting here and hoping. I'd rather see an amalgamation of talent rather than the majority of Lucasfilm employees being deemed redundant and downsized by Disney. Hard not to see the corporate machine here at work rather than careful a consideration about the quality of product being put out. I doubt this is the last announcement of this kind we'll be hearing in the next few months... :(

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Wouldn't Disney just merge the best animators into its own division?

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This would not only be logical... but, also makes the best business sense. If they need to hire talented animators down the line, I doubt their outlook on these laid off employees would be to dismiss them as the past. It is simply a matter that, currently, they do not have work to offer to any of these people based on their forseeable plans.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Logic is banned on these forums.
    Please edit your posts to reflect crazy biased unargumented paranoid hatred and/or gushing.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  12. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    where is PrincessKenobi when we need her?!?!

13. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
  14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Just start talking about the EU again; she'll turn up. ;)

15. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    yah, it just seemed it was getting off topic there and turning into a Pro-JJ vs Anti-JJ war...

16. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    What all fans should strive to be.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Oh man, that one was SO awful! Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than some of the senate intrigue crap we got in S2, they slap us with that nonsense.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, George put his trust in Kathy and Disney and I trust George. It could have been worse......much worse. he could have split it all up or downsized it himself, all while NOT giving us a ST.

20. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Or given it to Fox....ugh.

I'm interested to see what happens at ILM. If J.J. keeps to the proposed timeline, ILM will have a Star Wars movie and an Avengers movie with deadlines that are pretty close to each other. When the deal was done, Iger said he'd let ILM operate as it always has, effectively remaining independent and working for studios outside Disney but Disney's some pretty big projects over the next few years which could stretch ILM pretty thin. I could see a decision being made for ILM to operate strictly in-house in the not too distant future.

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Thats probably not going to happen. What will probably happen is that ILM will only take on so many outside projects. In fact, their pipeline might get streamlined a bit.

22. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Life gets easier once you understand other people do not have to hold the same exact opinions as us. I am sorry that Tracy dislikes something or someone you like... but it does not make her a troll. Baiting people because you do not like their opinion is what makes a person a troll.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Disliking Dave Filoni's work =/= a troll.

25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Dear Internet,
    This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.