main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gay Adoption

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Mar 21, 2013.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Reading through this thread has opened my eyes to my own unfortunate biases, and made me realize that I need to study more from the book of Harpuah on the subject of being open minded and not passing along any of my biases to my children.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Just watch Modern Family.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    On child biases, I'm all for them. For example, my three will all support Liverpool Football Club. There is no other option.

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    your poor children.

George Roper likes this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'd hang out with Arlol. :p

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What would be your dream date with Arlol?

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They'll be taught not to hop on something, ask for a website relevant to that something and then trot out opinions copied from the website regarding that something.

V-2 likes this.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    To be in one of his groundbreaking videos.

9. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    All your bias are belong to us

Sauntaero likes this.
  10. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    I guess I can't think of a good argument against this, but if two couples were equally qualified, a gay couple and a straight couple, I would give the kid to the straight couple.

What would you all do in that situation? Flip a coin?

And don't cop out by saying that no two couples are equally qualified...

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, flip a coin.

How would one decide between two straight couples who are equally qualified?

V-2 likes this.
  12. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    cut the kid in half; it's the only fair thing to do.

V-2 and wannasee like this.
  13. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I think gay people should be able to adopt.
    France doesn't, apparently. There's this thing called PACS that gives gays similar economic benefits as married people but doesn't let them adopt. Which is totally weird because single people can adopt others in France yet two gay people together can't. I thought having more than one parent is beneficial?

If a gay man marries a lesbian woman, is that a gay marriage? :)

V-2 likes this.
  14. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    A gay French politician recently said, "The rights of children trump the rights of homosexuals to children".

I have no problem whatsoever with homosexuality, but that seems like a pretty common sense statement me to me. All children have the right to have a mother and a father. That's not a loaded statement. It's a biological fact. Period.

15. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I guess flip a coin...

I still would favor the traditional couple over the gay couple, since a man is not a mother and a woman is not a father, and I think both roles are important, even if not strictly necessary...

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    And if the "straight couples" don't want a particular kid, better for the kid to grow up in an orphanage than in a gay home?

It *may* be easier for a kid to be raised by a straight couple, but who's to say the parents don't divorce, or one gets killed and the kid ends up in a one parent family? Or the straight couple fights all the time and it's a lousy home for the kid?

Quality of parenting trumps all, I would think, FOR the kid's sake (as much as can be determined when allowing a couple to adopt).

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    :confused:

18. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Mine would start with a casual drive through the countryside of Northern Virginia. We would marvel at the beauty of the cherry blossoms in May and the rolling green hills. We would discuss the word of god and never question the validity of whatever text he happened to have with him at the time. We would talk about about our favorite websites, like youtube and TFN, and how nobody "gets" us. Then I would totally blow a load in his beard.

19. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    What don't you understand?

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    In all that derailment, I'm not sure if I even gave my thoughts on this topic. I absolutely believe that gay couples should be allowed to adopt.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    I guess I'm still stuck on the absurd idea that gay couples, interracial couples, and same-race heterosexual couples are somehow different in their ability to raise children.

Edit: Or that the idea of "couple" needs to be involved.

22. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    Different dynamics produce different results. It's not absurd. It's logical.

I mean, it might not produce a significant difference in your opinion, but the idea that there would be a difference isn't crazy...

23. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    You are a gold mine, you know that?

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I wouldn't say that genitals produce different dynamics. A penis (or vagina) doesn't make somebody a parent. What's important in a child's life is love and support...being taught valuable life skills, being given attention and praise, the list goes on and on... gender really doesn't have as much to do with it as you think it does. Here's a couple of child abuse statistics

• Most perpetrators in Indiana were natural parents; and men were only slightly more likely to abuse than women—21 compared to 18, respectively, of 39 total. (Indiana Department of Child Services (2005)Child Abuse and Neglect Annual Report of Child Fatalities from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.)
    • A majority of abuse took place in two-parent households and 37 of the 54 fatalities were children with siblings. (Indiana Department of Child Services (2005) Child Abuse and Neglect Annual Report of Child Fatalities from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.)

Valairy Scot, thesevegetables and V-2 like this.
  25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Not my place to tell anyone what they can or should be able to do.

Juliet316 likes this.