main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Also, as much as speculation is fun, one of the few things that really annoys me about the show is it's become an easy target for lazy hacks in need of an entertainment splash. Short on copy? Speculate that the incumbent Doctor might be about to leave. Thus we, as fans, once an actor has completed one series in the role, seem to be in a constant state of uncertainty. I want to enjoy a frenzy of press speculation once Smith has actually announced his departure. That way it won't feel like it's been dragging on forever. When Smith is still The Doctor, and has made no statement to the contrary, I want to relax knowing there's a good man in the role and all is well. Which it is, until we hear otherwise through official channels. Fans will always speculate, of course (I do!), but I wish the press would leave off.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This may be the most correct post ever written on the Internet.

3. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'd certainly like a Doctor played by an actor in his forties or early fifties, but we know that Moffat has said that the actor playing the Doctor needs to be pretty fit for the demands of today's Doctor Who. Certainly that doesn't rule out someone in that age range, but I doubt that anyone like, say, Richard Griffiths would be on the Beeb's list of suggestions, no matter how talented. I'd also dispute the idea that the Doctor's age needs to change with each regeneration for the Doctors to be different - Troughton and Pertwee were virtually the same age when the role changed hands, and they couldn't be more dissimilar. The important thing is that they're good actors with a good range.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't particularly care about the age, but I'll be annoyed if it's another white guy. 2014 is late enough to take that step and there are plenty British women and minority actors they could choose from. Obviously it doesn't have to be a big name; none of the other Doctors were.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm not saying successive Doctors can't be similar ages; I'm saying that if the decision is made to permanently cast young men in the role because it suits the publicity machine and image / perception of the show (but under the continuous guise of "the right man with the right range"), then the odds of ever again getting someone like Troughton or Pertwee in the role will widen and widen and widen. Perhaps so much as to be irrelevant.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Personally I'd be more annoyed if they cast 12 looking specifically for a minority to portray him. I'm not against the idea of a non-white Doctor or female Doctor, his race and gender doesn't concern me. However I want whoever plays the next Doctor to be picked because they gave the best audition. For them to be the best actor/actress to work with the material given to them.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The dynamic the Doctor has with companions in the new series could come off as rather creepy if he appeared to be much older than them, and they don't have to be romantic interests for that to happen either. Hell, aren't there people who express discomfort with the fact that Nine appeared to be in his 30's or 40's and Rose was 19 when she started traveling with him?
    Well, they'd kind of have to put out a casting call (or whatever) asking for a women just as they'd ask for an older person. And the UK is still overwhelmingly white, so they'd probably have to be specifically looking for a minority if only 1/10 or 1/5 actors auditioning were non-white.

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm pretty sure you'll find Freema Agyeman and Noel Clarke were cast in mixed race auditions. And with the very nature of the Doctor you could easily write him as a genderless entity, switching any "him"s and "his" in the scripts to "her" and "hers" in final drafts of the shooting script, so nothing would prevent a mixed gender casting call for the Doctor.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    They don't, but it would be nice to have a female companion who doesn't have a romantic interest in The Doctor. That's why Donna is the best NuWho companion. Imagine her attitude towards him, but more... intelligent. We don't know enough about Clara to rate her, but she's already kissed The Doctor (not entirely innocently, I don't think), and based on the trailers there appears to be some flirting going on. Which is - on first impression - a bit of a shame. Clara seemed to promise a truly independent companion. She still might be, of course. So I mustn't judge. I'm just saying that if an older man in the role forced the show to break that routine, then great. If people want to impose wicked interpretations upon a platonic relationship, then that's their problem.

Mar17swgirl and Chewgumma like this.
  10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Agreed, there would be nothing wrong with Doctor Who adapting to have a father/daughter dynamic for example. In fact that would be pretty interesting to see.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Ten and Donna weren't romantic interests in the slightest, but they totally flirted with each other. Rory and Eleven flirted with each other.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Hmmm... yes. Ten and Donna flirted, but I think both did it ironically.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't see why any new Doctor Who lead actor would have to be a "heartthrob". Tennant might have been swooned over by the ladies as Davidson probably was back in the day, but that doesn't mean the show will be full of such people. Smith might be young but he doesn't look young, what with his Easter Island face and all :p

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned yet - Pointless Celebrities is doing a Who edition tomorrow with former companions and a Doctor (McCoy I think) featuring. It's on at 7pm on BBC1, it will be interesting to see how smart the Doctor really is when it comes to obscure knowledge :p

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Those people are morons. Political correctness gone mad, etc. The Doctor has always had younger companions, it's never been an issue.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    lol Daily Mail headline. I am not really all that well-versed with the old stuff, but wasn't the Doctor pretty much asexual in his behavior prior to Eight? I know he definitely didn't kiss anyone.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ah, try and find the Colin Baker sex scene. It's amazing, especially once the eclairs are introduced.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm 1100 and what is this

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I bet River is a really good teacher.:D

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Alright I finished series 2 and watched the first episode of series 3. I just might pull this off before it returns for the second half.

Mar17swgirl and Random Comments like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *cheers you on*

21. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    You have about a week. And roughly 65 episodes to watch.

You'd better get cracking.

:D

I believe in you.

22. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    There are 65 more Tennant episodes?

23. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh I thought you meant catch up for the entire series.

You've got like, 31 episodes left then. Something like that. Much more workable.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    About 20 something more Tennant eps and then the rest are Matt's.

25. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Oh yeah no not the whole thing. Matt Smith is my first doctor. I am well versed on all things for series 5 on. I hadn't seen anything before. I tried to watch Christopher's but it was really hard. I might try that after I get down with David's run.