main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Actually, yes.

While it may seem incredible to you, it's true.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    So..............who's the baddie?

4. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    Amazing, isn't it? I'm happy this moment of nirvana produced laughter for you, much like the Buddhist monks.

Millions of parents, and yet we only have four distinct parenting styles.

Education is an invaluable investment. :)

That said....who's the bad guy?

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It certainly is.

And my 41-plus years of experience on this Earth has taught me more about not stereotyping and categorizing people than my masters degree ever did.

I find stereotyping and categorizing people to be a trait of the uneducated or blissfully ignorant.

Of which I am going to assume you are neither, in which case the other assumption would be that you were making a joke.

So...LOL.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    These are archetypes, not stereotypes.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would agree if he were still talking about fictional characters, but he was talking about real people, how every last one of us seven plus billion people can be categorized into a few distinct personalities.

Yeah, I find that hilarious.

DARTHSHAME and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Stereotypes are closely related to archetypes but they're a bit different in execution and dealing with fictional versus non fiction.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I find that stereotypes purposely exclude and serve to ostracize those who don't "fit" into them; they're very middle-school oriented.

Archetypes are a little less offensive but not much.

DARTHSHAME and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Anakin is an archetype. So is Jar Jar. Creating a archetype is a way to universally connect to a wider audience.

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    How about an evil man who isn't a force user.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  13. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    An archetype is just a vague mold that tons of past characters can fit into that people only noticed existed later. When you take the archetype itself, and just use that without actually writing a character with a personality you just end up with a one-not cypher to scratch off an entry on your "Do these things to make a good heroes journey story" list.

Somebody linked TV Tropes on the other page, and it's the same principle there. Alot of guys on that site seem to think that it's the tropes themselves that are compelling, rather than the ideas behind the tropes that people connect to.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. run_luke_run

Feb 18, 2004
    The overarching point here is that the entire Star Wars saga has been based in classical mythological tradition, story, and character development, which are all based in historical templates that have been passed down from generation to generation.

Just because a villain is based in a traditional mold does not mean that there is no room for creativity...much like (drum roll) when us psychologists identify your strengths, your personality, your humor style, your parenting style...of course there is room for improvisation and elaboration. If you're wondering, I teach to my students that Psychology is a field of generalizations, not absolutes. There has always been, and always will be, exceptions to the rule.

That said, the reason we all fell in love with Star Wars in the first place is because we have heard that story before, and it's something that appeals to human beings in an almost universal nature.

To some degree, the ST will be an extension of this.

Darth_Pevra and ShaneP like this.
  15. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    How about an evil force user who isn't a man?

16. Reveen

Oct 4, 2012
    How about an evil non-force user who isn't a man?

It'd be cool if we got a Admiral Cain, Captain Janeway, or Amanda Waller type villainess. But I'll take any villainess as long as they steer clear from seductress archetypes.

17. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    how about a scientific experiment to create the ultimate being

18. Reveen

Oct 4, 2012
    That would be pretty redundant, wouldn't it?

[​IMG]

19. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    We've had two civil wars so I think the next threat could be extragalactic. That would tend to end any notion of a rogue Jedi pseudo-Sith (unless that Jedi is a traitor betraying the Republic I guess). The only thing is, without Dark Jedi/Sith, it could spell the end of lightsaber combat, which I don't see happening.

Looking at the way the previous trilogies have panned out, I can see the threat in this film being relatively local. Episode VII is essentially a new Episode I. The Vader story is over, so this new trilogy is starting again. If the 6-part Skywalker saga is one movie, then this is basically the sequel. That generally means a new story and a new threat and since it's a trilogy, it should build. With that in mind, Episode VII may be relatively small in scale. A local conflict against pirates or the Hutt cartels or something that escalates as the story moves forward so that by the end of the first movie, there's a victory in that local conflict but a much larger threat has been revealed.

That threat will likely have the Force but if it's not Sith (or fake Sith...sorry...dark Jedi) then rather than being about light vs dark, what if the next war (the series is called Star Wars after all) is a holy war of sorts? Alien invaders from outside the galaxy see the Jedi and the Republic as an affront to the Force. Make them religious fanatics who see the Jedi as heretics. In that scenario, it doesn't matter if you're a Jedi or a wannabe Sith, to these aliens you're an abomination. Only they know the true nature of the Force, only they have been given the divine right to wield it's power.

Just a thought.

DARTHSHAME likes this.
  20. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    The new villains will track down all the Jedi force ghosts and end the Jedi menace once and for all.

[​IMG]

Sitara likes this.
  21. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Can a brotha get an EVP session? I aint afraid of no ghost.

22. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    There must always be Sith, just like there must always be Jedi. It wouldn't be Star Wars without it.

However, Sith do not have to be bound to the stupid rule of two, nor do they have to be the main villains, or heck even the villains. I mentioned this before: It would be great if the Jedi are trying to help the republic against some threat, and they find they are over their heads, and so they petition the Dark Council of the Darths (tm) to assist them. Ofcourse, while the Sith are aiding them they try to use this favor to gain political advantage.

Darth kRud likes this.
  23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    How about an evil female alien force user? We sure haven't had one in the films, in fact we haven't really had any evil alien force users in films since Maul isn't really an alien if you know your lore.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh, so now you are trying to make some kind of moral argument out of this. We all categorize people on a subconscious level. What differentiates the ignorant from the openminded is if you are willing to look beyond first impressions.

When you create a character, the first thing you know is also the "first impression", the vague outline. What now differentiates the good author from the bad is if you are willing to pour more work into that character or just run with the basic outline. A good author will give thought about the driving inner conflict of a character, his hobbies and his friends, his job, his dreams and so on. Often he will have a character behave in a way that contradicts what the outline states. The innocent fool for instance might show a cruel streak when he is seriously pissed off. The evil overlord loves his horses. Et cetera.

The reason we use templates is because the brain loves to categorize. When we look at different chairs, our brain will tell us it is a "chair" because it put it into the category "chair". It's similar with human beings.

That is why in fiction first impressions are very important. Only when the audience vaguely understands what a character is primarily about can you go into the deeper and more complicated stuff.

25. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    The beuty with Plagueis reborn could be that he would not have to look like Plagueis prime - if he reincarnate in the true sense of that word, he could be any race or gender and his true identity would be treated as surprise of sorts "I am your father" or "You are the Revan". So he could be cool concept in cooler looking body.

Lord Optimus and Son of a Bith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.