main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Palpatine's Origins...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Does anyone else feel sorry for Palpatine? He seems to have been nothing more than a tool to Plagiues upon their initial encounters and was abused by his father. He was manipulated into taking his first steps as a Sith Lord. In a different situation could he have been a good man or possibly a Jedi?

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It could be said that it was Plagueis who was manipulated...

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Er, he was a good man.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I definately do not think Plagueis manipulated Palpatine in any way (unless Plagueis survived longer than we realize). As for being abused by his father, I think the majority of violent people were abused by a parent.

5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yes, Plagueis manipulated Palpatine into killing his family.

Darth kRud likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    According to Darth "I love democracy" Sidious.

7. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    No, according to Plagueis himself.

Darth kRud likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think Palpatine was a very ambitious and rebellious teenager at that time, yes he was used by Plagueis, he might not have become the Sith Lord later, but he had his revenge.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Plagueis was being manipulated...

kubricklynch likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    There were mentions of Palpatine's troubled youth, but it was very hush hush. These troubles were buried by Palpatine's influential father. These troubles do not strike me as merely "boys will be boys", it seems far more severe, as deeply scandalous, otherwise they wouldn't need to be hushed. Palpatine was the kind of kid that simply could not stay out of trouble, the sort of kid that is quickly kicked out of every school he attends and without his father's influence he certainly would have spent a great deal of time in some sort of youth detention center. By the time he gets to university he's learned how to play the part of "normal".

Luceno paints young Palpatine as having a huge ego, he's manipulative from the start (though not quite as skilled as he later becomes) and has a sort of creepy charm, full of insincere words and fake smiles, just like we see in the movies.

My point is obvious, what I'm saying is that Luceno makes Palpatine into a psychopath from the start.

I think Plagueis pretty much saw Palpatine as a tool. I'm sure Palpatine's father was abusive. I think he was manipulated to an extent. But no, I do not feel sorry for him. No, I doubt he ever could have been a good man, and I'm certain he never would have made even a decent Jedi, I doubt he'd even make it through training. The only way he'd make it through training was by hiding his true nature from everyone (which he may very well have been able to do), the way a psychopath hides his true nature.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only time I felt even remotely sorry for Palpatine was in that scene during his training when Plagueis had him retell his parents' murders over and over again.

And even then I didn't have much pity, simply because I don't think Palpatine had any hesitation or regret about the murders.

Palpatine as a kid seemed more like Tom Riddle from the Harry Potter series. I could see him luring some kid into a cave near the Theed waterfalls and making sure he never came out. By the time he was in college he pretended to be the young brilliant idealist frustrated with local politics, but I got the impression that that was a show for Plagueis, and that they manipulated each other.

Plagueis wanted to use Palpatine's brilliant political mind to push forth his master plan of having the Sith infiltrate the Republic government, which worked of course, but Plagueis didn't count on Palpatine not wanting competition from Plagueis for power, not being quite so interested in the politics-and-business partnership that Plagueis had in mind. Or pretended to have in mind; Plagueis was just dumb enough to assume that Palpatine would be willing to be his puppet.

12. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    lol this

Palpatine was an evil sonnuvabitch from birth

13. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    "From my point the point of view the Jedi are evil."

14. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I never really understood that line.
    I can see how from Anakin's "point of view" the Jedi are enemies, but how can he justify them being "evil", even in his own mind?
    He knows that they were manipulated by Palpatine, it should be obvious to him that they weren't really "plotting to take over". Palpatine's identity being revealed to him should make everything obvious.

Darth kRud likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin had convinced himself that the Sith knew what was best for the people of the galaxy.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin needed an enema because he was full of ****.

He knew the Jedi weren't evil. Against him, sure, but even he knew that didn't make them "evil."

He was trying to justify his own actions.

FatSmel and darklordoftech like this.
  17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, is that what he said?

Man, that makes way more sense than "the Jedi are weevils."

Zorrixor and Havac like this.
  18. Something_Exile

Something_Exile Jedi Master

Nov 23, 2012
    I took it that nothing Palpatine did he did against his will. Rather, Plagueis gave him more of a... push in the right direction. Not really manipulating him but encouraging him to do something he clearly wanted to do anyway. Which of course could not have backfired for Plagueis more. As soon as Palpatine realized what he could do with the Force, it was only a matter of time.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So the consensus is he was always destined to be a Sith?

20. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Not destined, since he was a man who made his own destiny. But he could see that being a Sith would give him the greatest power so that's why he became one. If Plagueis died before meeting him, what would Palpatine have done with his life? That's a pretty big if so I don't know the answer. Nothing good though, he was lost long before Plagueis met him.

Then there are theories that Palpatine was somehow a product of the Dark Side. His father pointed to that direction but that was most likely just hyperbole.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If he hadn't met Plagueis, Palpatine would probably have ended up in jail.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    No. I don't think he could have. He may have been manipulated at first, but he fully embraces his role & destiny as a Sith very Quickly. Hell, I'd say he embraces it b4 he even knows its his destiny.

No sympathy needed, none asked for.

23. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I never got why Luceno made Palpatine a racer. We never saw Palpatine fly anything in the whole EU.
    I always thought Palpatine would not even care to learn how to fly since he always would find someone or something to take him from point A to point B.

By the way, Palpatine's aunt did survive. Boba Fett later discovered her body on a huge ship floating in space.

24. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I think Luceno made him a racer in order to provide an example of his disregard for innocent life. In those early conversations with Plagueis, Palpatine reveals that his father had to help clean up his record after he caused an accident with multiple pedestrian fatalities. Palpatine didn't seem to sorry when he told the story.

General Immodet likes this.
  25. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    He didn't. It was a tidbit taken from Wild Space by Karen Miller.