main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'd assume it's much more palatable after having seen Tennant's episodes. You kind of have a precedent for the episodes of the RTD era, and can go in with a more level expectation. At least that's what it was like for me. I just recently re-watched Series 1 and it was much easier for me this time. The first time I tried to watch it, my attention kept being drawn away by....anything else.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    If I have time I might re try series 1. But for now I'm just going to focus on the Tennant run, since I was curious why everyone loves him as the Doctor so much.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Bells of St. John prequel! :D

I kinda saw it coming, but it still made me squee. :D :D [face_love]

7. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Didn't like it. Too much like Amy Pond.

Not that I didn't like the video, just the idea of it is too similar.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah. I think I could see it coming as soon as you said there was something to see coming. :p

I liked it. If the idea is that The Doctor and Clara are destined to meet at many points in their respective lives, then him meeting her as a little girl (despite the echoes of Pond) is fine. Better done in a prequel than a proper episode, too. I loved The Doctor's reaction to the question "Are you strange?" :D Plus, if that's a much as we ever see of her parents, then that's a bonus. [face_mischief]

Random Comments and Ulicus like this.
  9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Amy Pond was rather like Madame de Pompadour: Doctor befriends young girl, then renews their friendship when she's older.

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    And as we all know, anything connected to the girl in the fireplace is definitely awesome.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

!!!!

Eccelston's my doctor, so I must implore you to definitely rewatch him. Tennant's my favorite doctor, so I also implore you to WATCH HIM AND CRY.

12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Amazon and Sainsburys have revealed listings for a "Regeneration box" set for release on June 10th.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    So forgive me if this has already been answered/is a "duh" thing, but does the episode title "The Bells of St. John" have anything to do with the fact that the Tardis now has that little circle thing on the right that says "St. Johns Ambulance"?

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I like that it was reversed. Instead of meeting an adult while looking for a child, he meets a child while looking for an adult.

Though hopefully this isn't an event that sticks out in Clara's mind. It'll be better if, when they finally meet again, the Doctor's all "Don't you remember? The swings?" and she's just like, "Uh, no. Not at all."

Random Comments likes this.
  15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't think it needs to be mentioned ever again.

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It doesn't help that Matt Smith is absolutely fantastic with child actors.

Juliet316 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    True. Reflected in his Doctor, too. Very much a child of Amy and Rory. Brilliant... but I hope Clara's there to show us what else he's got.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The Doctor knows her as an adult, and didn't recognise her as a child. Why would he when he sees the adult version again?

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    All I want to know is what the video does to the Arkytior/Romana theories... nullify or overlyoverlycomplicate?

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Also these prequels are not broadcast, and therefore I don't think they're ever referenced. Certainly I can't see either of them making a big thing about recognising each other if it's going to go over the heads of casual viewers who don't watch these shorts on the net.

21. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I gotta say these movie poster episode pictures are pretty great. They each have their own theme to them, and they make great wallpapers. I can't wait for the rest of them.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Fixed.:p

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And we get (likely) one last look at the tweed jacket this series, that's good.

EDIT: The Bells of Saint John trailer too:

Random Comments likes this.
  24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I figured someone may have, but I'm not game to venture deeper into this circle jerk than the current last page.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That's true, but if it is, that's how I want it to go down.

Or did....

You're right. I wasn't really thinking it through. If she doesn't remember, he has no reason to ever bring it up.

Haha. If not for that brief snippet of them in the TARDIS, I'd have wondered if that mug was going to be glued to her hand the entire episode. [face_laugh]