main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    That's a major problem with the PT, I never once really believe that this version of Anakin is the man Obi-Wan describes to us in ANH. It just does not fit.

Jcuk likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Those adjectives are not all synonymous with one another.

In other words there were scenes that depicted them as friends, but apparently they weren't good enough for you. This only reflects unrealistic and not particularly meaningful standards on your part.

The OT never called him "noble". You made that part up yourself. The OT said he had anger issues and eventually fell to the dark side.

Andy Wylde, V-2 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It's never a hero's journey, simple.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    You mean right before he said "Vader killed your dad"?

Or did you miss

Or did you miss Vader in OT?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Does it not fit with how Obi-Wan described him? Or does it not fit with the version of Anakin you built up in your mind?

Don't forget that Anakin saved Obi-Wan's life many times over and was loyal to his troops. I don't think it's a stretch to believe that Obi-Wan would consider someone to whom he owed his life a friend. He was a great pilot and strong in the Force. All this is readily present in the PT.

Anakin was never going to be perfect, though -- he would not have fallen to the Dark Side if he had.

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh boy..

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I simply don't understand these people's faith in Obi Wan's words, even after OT showed.

1. He was not telling Luke the truth of his father.
    2. He didn't believe there was any good in Vader but later proved wrong.
    3. Vader
    4. "There is so much anger in him, like his father" said by Yoda.

Andy Wylde, Darth_Martus and minnishe like this.
  8. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    *Sigh*

Would it really kill you to be a bit more...amenable...to the opinions of others?

You're on a forum dedicated to the Prequel Trilogy. You should expect its fans to be present. To think otherwise is absurd.

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    He said Anakin not Vader. At that time we didnt know the 2 were connected. Think before you blink

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Did you watch EP V and EP VI? It's been established well enough.

Sure we didn't know at that time, but we all know he was lying in EP IV after watching EP V and VI.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Unfortunately the lack of thinking here is all you. What we thought "at the time" is irrelevant. By the time TESB and ROTJ were done we knew that Vader was Luke's father. Thus Luke's father had Vader's life story according to the precious OT.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Seriously, if I lied to you about something, won't I lose credibility on my words, especially on this topic?

Also what's the better way to judge a person? Listen to someone's words or take a look at himself?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    If I can see the validity and intelligence in their opinion then of course. OT fans will never agree with PT fans. It's about having taste and knowing what's good and what's not. Look how well Gladiator was received when it came out. There wasn't ONE bad review, it was a hugely popular piece of cinema worldwide and still is. Then you look at the PT.

14. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It's ironic that the same person asked me that I just shouldn't watch RLM videos if I don't like his "humour".
    However, he is posting on a PT fan board although he obviously can't even accept diverging opinions and perception.
    That makes sense. "It's about having taste", you know

Don't be mad at me, but I'm just tired of black-and-white thinking. It's just immature.

15. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    If I can see the validity and intelligence in their opinion then of course. OT fans will never agree with PT fans. It's about having taste and knowing what's good and what's not. Look how well Gladiator was received when it came out. There wasn't ONE bad review, it was a hugely popular piece of cinema worldwide and still is. Then you look at the PT.

----

woah hold on..

i'm a fan of both, and I happen to think i've ok taste thanks

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't prefer PT or OT more, they both have good and weak points, EP I and EP II are weaker as movies, sure.

However, don't judge them with double standards, understand OT enough. Especially since you are a OT fan, shouldn't you know Obi Wan was lying to Luke and his opinion on Vader was proved wrong?

Andy Wylde and minnishe like this.
  17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    The Anakin Obi wan described not the Vader he described. Jesus someone get me a bit of chalk

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    What do you mean? They are the same person, this fact was not told in PT, but OT well enough.

19. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    What's this "OT fans" vs. "PT fans" rubbish? I love the OT. In fact, Luke's my second favorite character (right behind Anakin) and I adore the Imperial military in those films (I'm sure you can guess who my favorite Imperial officer is, as well).

Condescension does not give your opinion any more validity nor does popular opinion. A critical consensus does not equal objective truth. Or do you consider the last Harry Potter film to be better than the Empire Strikes Back merely because critical consensus say so? To me, that's the definition of intellectual laziness -- letting others decide your opinion for you and simply falling into line.

Do you also consider ROTS to be a better film than ROTJ as it is more highly rated on both rottentomatoes and Metacritic?

Oh, I'd also like to point out that Gladiator is sitting at 77% on Rottentomatoes while Revenge of the Sith is at 80%. So there's no reason to base your preferences on what reviews say.

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I didn't miss anything.

21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Right. The guy said he couldn't connect the Anakin Obiwan described in ANH with the Anakin in the PT. He didnt mention Vader he just said Anakin. You know, the one he described as a dear friend. Get it now?

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    What the same Gladiator that won 5 oscars yeah? And IF your a fan of both then happy days. But a lot aren't.

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What I'm saying, and it's not that hard to follow, is that Lucas did a bad job translating the character of Anakin as described to us in ANH to the PT's. We don't meet an accomplished pilot, we meet a child. I never once believe that these two men are great friends. I agree Lucas made an attempt to show us that, but he failed.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Because OT's fact proved Obi Wan was lying. Why should PT's plot follow a lie?

Even in OT, Vader killed Obi Wan without hesitate a moment and didn't regret for that, Obi Wan deceived Luke and wanted him to kill his father, didn't believe there was good in Vader when Luke did.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Obi Wan was lying, it was proved in OT later, why should PT follow the lie?

Also Anakin was a good pilot even in EP I, and later became a strong warrior.

If they were that great friends like some people believed, why would we see the facts in OT?

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.