main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Last Jedi by Michael Reaves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    did you read the book yet? Yub, actual timetravel, theoretical one and its practical use too in a reduced form in combination with other force powers. tell me if you want to be spoilered

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Thanks for the offer. Haven't read it, but I don't know when and if I will... and I'm not sure how long it will be before I'll be spoiled anyway... but I think I'll wait some more. I might come back to this.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why do people start watching a TV series midway through a series and then go back and start from the beginning if they like it? Sometimes people like to know what goes on later first, for instance watching the early eps of B5 not knowing it ends up going to Shadow Dancing would be quite different, I started with War Without End! Not exactly the best starting place! But playing detective to deduce what was going on was fun.

Whatever people may say, LFL or DR could have presented this as Coruscant Nights: Book 4: The Last Jedi. They didn't. But they did stick the covers of those 3 books on the back, so making it clear there have been earlier stories. Nonetheless, it's presented as a standalone story.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or reading book 4 long after the first 3. So much fun to see how much you remember and how much you don't.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    But is it book 4? I could class this as Book 8, as there's references all the way back to Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter!

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Book 4 of the Coruscant Nights books. Book 8 of the Reavesverse. Shadow Hunter, the Drongar duology and the 4 CN books but can't think of the other one.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Think I've miscounted by 1 then!

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Death Star is part of that but that isn't till later.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also Shadow Games

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd also count SOTE among the Reaves-verse, especially if we're including Shadow Games.

12. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    OK, I see where you're coming from with this. So the question for all of those who read the book would be (and I find this one quite interesting) is this Coruscant Nights 4 even if they decided to sell it as a standalone? Because with the entire Jax/I5/Vader combination, it sure seems to be more connected than your average Reavesverse entry.

And then it's really no diffrence whether you start with this book, or with CN2 or CN3.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    When it comes down to it, yes, this is absolutely Coruscant Nights 4. It picks up not too long after the third book, features the same characters and explores similar themes. Remember, the original pitch for the trilogy was that it'd be three stories featuring the same characters, but with a different plot each book. And that's what happened, though there were some over-arching elements throughout the series.

I know a big goal for the people at LucasBooks is to make any book accessible as a stand-alone novel, even if it's part of a larger series. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. But I think The Last Jedi fulfills that goal better than the Coruscant Nights trilogy proper. A big thing that sets this book apart is the fact that it barely even takes place on Coruscant, whereas the first three take place entirely on Coruscant, lending the name to the series. That said, this is less a "Coruscant Nights" book and more a "continuing adventures of Jax Pavan and Co." book, just as, say, Truce At Bakura is simply the continuing adventures of Luke and Co. from the movie trilogy.

14. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Ah, it's not limited to Coruscant. OK, that would kind of disqualify it for being a Coruscant Nights book.

15. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Ah, it's not limited to Coruscant. OK, that would kind of disqualify it for being a Coruscant Nights book.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, that's a good way of setting it apart - it isn't based much on Coruscant, nice spot by Todd.

17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Really only the Pol Haus parts are on Coruscant.

18. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    How is it that Vader is so cool and Anakin is so so..... a mixed bag, and we know they are the same person? I guess it's the difference of the story being told through the eyes of people that know him well, as opposed to an outsider's view that can't be privy to who he really is. Vader is a chilling/thrilling nightmare. Anakin is a lost child.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Or.... You don't know the power of the dark side!

20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Or, if you prefer the psychological explanation, he was probably heavily traumatized by the events in ROTS. He felt that both Obi-Wan and Padmé betrayed him and would stop trusting anyone. The more openly you show feelings, the easier it is for others to hurt you.
    Vader is only cold on the outside, on the inside he is a very passionate and perceptive person.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  21. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I thought Jax wasn't supposed to be all that powerful? Or does he get a major boost in power in this book?

TBH, I could probably stand to reread the third Corsucant Nights book as I don't recall much of it, but from what's been said in the thread I take it Jax finds something that allows him access to these new abilities and maybe a little power boost?

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Darth Ramage's Holocron, the Bota, and the Pyronium.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  23. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Yeah, but his ability to hide his Force presence behind a potted plant is all his!

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  24. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    Random thought. I would love it if I-Five somehow became the main droid of Episode VII, replacing C-3PO!

Grievousdude likes this.
  25. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I would like that too.

26. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    The stasis field Darth Vader used to immobilize everyone on Jax's ship, has that ever showed up anywhere else?

27. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    You'd be surprised at how many lost children end up as "chilling/thrilling nightmare" adults. Anakin's dysfunction as a Jedi is the beginning of his mastery as a Sith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.