main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Are we finally going to witness a light sabre being constructed in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jcuk, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Something I've always wanted to see. Curious it's never been shown before

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't they film it for Return of the Jedi but then cut it?

3. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Remember that cut scene with Luke and R2 in the cave but was he building a light sabre?

4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    All it is Luke appearing to turn a couple of screws and then he ignites. I'm talking about something a bit more comprehensive than that.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was filmed in Ben's hut.

In the EU building a lightsaber can take a long time- with doing so in a day or two being portrayed as very much exceptional.

Not something that translates well to movie.

6. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Think he's just in some sort of cave. Yeah obviously not over a week or something that would be ridiculous. But it could be focused down to a few good scenes. Just to make the sabre seem more personal to its user. Rather than just hey, he/shes got a light sabre.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was the Shadows of the Empire novel that had Luke building his lightsaber (on Tatooine, based on instructions found in Ben's hut) near the start- that's why I wondered if the deleted scene may have been set there as well.

8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    No it's definitely in a small cave somewhere near Jabbas Palace. Because Luke gives R2 the light sabre and then they set off for it.

9. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    R2 and 3PO ofcourse

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    In the first Force Unleashed game, the protagonist, Galen Marek, was shown using the Force to assemble his lightsaber as a means of meditation. This past season of The Clone Wars treated us to a series of scenes where a group of Padawans did the same in constructing their first lightsabers. Both times, the music did a good job of conveying the spiritual exercise it is meant to be.

Yeah, for Episode VII, gimme a scene of Luke's son using the Force to construct a nice blue bladed lightsaber. I'd be all over that!

As much as people like to refer to it as the "Lightsaber Construction Scene," in my opinion, the deleted scene featuring Luke in the cave shows Skywalker simply making his final preparations before beginning the operation to rescue Han Solo (at the same time as he meditates on Vader's echo). I get the feeling watching this awesome clip that, while still a new instrument, this is not the first time Luke has assembled this lightsaber. Happily, this also keeps the story of the lightsaber's actual construction, as described in Shadows of the Empire, canon.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Seems reasonable.

yodasbum likes this.
  12. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I'd rather not see exactly how a lightsaber works. I like the idea of 'it just works'. Same as most things in Star Wars, they just work I don't need or desire to know the nuts & bolts of things.

Dra--- and Dranem like this.
  13. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I think it would cool to see a lightsaber construction scene in the ST. Not anything long or elaborate, but enough to lend gravity - that may not be the right word - to the idea that a padawan has completed his/her skills.

JainaSoloYJK, TreborSabreon and Jcuk like this.
  14. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    forgive me... i think that would be kinda boring... how woud it tie into the story w/relevance?

Jedifirefly5 and yodasbum like this.
  15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Sadly its more likely random Jedi will just pull extra Lightsabers out of there coats again like what happened in AotC.

I'd love to see one getting built though, the RotJ scene and EU have really wetted my appitite for it.

Jcuk and TreborSabreon like this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Thread author, Ima put you in a time out until you learn to spell lightsaber.

Sitara and Seagoat like this.
  17. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That'd be cool to finally see and also the Jedi Trials

18. GUNGI

GUNGI Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2013
    This would be so cool to see. I know there was the added footage in the bluray release as well as the recent clone wars episodes dealing with this.

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm English if you hadn't worked that out. That's how we spell it.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The name of the weapon is Lightsaber though, not Light sabre. No matter where you're from.

21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Lightsabre then.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    o_O
    I'll start calling it Ljussabel here on the forum then - since that's how we spell it in Sweden.

;)

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  24. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    They do show it in the Young Jedi story arc from Clone Wars this season.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002

Five minutes in.