main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orginal Trilogy VHS

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Lord_Archivaria, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Lord_Archivaria

Lord_Archivaria Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2011
    It has been a long while since I've posted anything here on theforce.net so my apologies if this is not in the right part of the forum.

Anyway, back in the '90s my grandmother got me the OT on VHS. It was the last release before the re-release into theaters with Leonard Maltin interviewing Lucas. A few years later I got the Special Edition box set. As you might be able to guess, my next purchase was the DVD release of the whole trilogy (no the Blu-rays though - I have never taken that particular format).

Many people have strong feelings about the differences between each of these releases. However to be perfectly honest I am not one of them. It's not that I don't care. The issue is that VHS tapes take up space and require me to keep a TV (an old cathode ray tube model that is probably 15-20 years old) and a VCR hanging around as well as a wall unit to house all of this stuff. Yet with graduate school behind me and a relocation most likely coming up I am hoping to get rid of all of my VHS tapes (not just the Star Wars ones) and then the TV and VCR with it. Keep in mind that I do not subscribe to cable and so the TV literally sits in the corner unused save for the rare occasions when I want to watch a tape.

So my question is this: can I sell my OT VHS tapes? With the release of the unaltered versions with the Blu-ray discs my assumption is that they would have few buyers (and the Special Editions less so for reasons I need not bring up).

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A collector might want them. Personally I still have and use a VCR and a CRT TV so I'm not at the forefront of technology..:p. (I do have DVDs and portable DVD players - regular and BluRay. The main reason I haven't gotten a regular DVD player is that right now my hookup of Sky satellite box, satellite box with positioner to swing the dish, and VCR works fine and I'm loath to tinker with it unless I have to.)

Back to the tapes - I'd search Ebay closed auctions to see if any have sold recently and if so what they sold for.

3. Lord_Archivaria

Lord_Archivaria Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2011
    Thank you. I will try that.

4. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I have a copy and recently rescued them from my parents house over the holidays.

5. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I have the ones from mid '90's in closed in a plastic bag. They really got me back into Star Wars again. How many different VHS's were released? One of each movie in 80's, then the trilogy and SE in 90's? I know they take up space, but people , you got to keep them!

6. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I have seen them for sale here and there. Worth taking a look at ebay, for sure. The tapes erode after a certain amount of time, but as long as they are in decent playable condition, there will most likely be a market for them.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Here's a list of all of the home video releases, from Beta to BluRay.

I found the original VHS release of Star Wars at a thrift store about a year ago for a $1. It's much heavier than your standard VHS and appears to use more "tape". I don't know that they're worth much, but I do recall seeing the original Beta release fetch a good price on eBay a while back.

And I found that 1995 release w/the Maltin interviews, still in shrink wrap, for $5 at a thrift store last year. So as far as value, it doesn't appear as if prices have really risen much.

8. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks for the pretty cool list JUKE-SKYWALKER :cool: . Now, I need to go take a look at what I have and what I don't.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    You're welcome :D. Whoever put that together did some great work.

10. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Wow, thanks. Yes that was a very precise breakdown! Ahhh memories.