main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Red Letter Media and other Prequel Reviews

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    What are you messing up with? He was talking about Tatooine, but in OT it was never clear when Owen talked about it, was Tatooine still Anakin's home.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012

*Following is a question about @slowpokeking's opinion* Do you ( Slowpokeking ) think that Ben meant Tatooine when he said "here" or do you (Slowpokeking ) think he meant a different place? *The preceding was a question about @slowpokeking's opinion*

V-2 likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You're imagining things.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    His mother gave him the choice to stay with her or go with the the Jedi. After he has decided to leave but then begins to have second thoughts she urges him to follow through with it. If he had decided to stay then he would have stayed with his mother in the home he grew up in. Nothing in the film tells us that Watto would throw Anakin into the street after winning his freedom so that is something you invented to fit your point that he would be homeless.

Andy Wylde and V-2 like this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Is it some game?

Your question is

I never denied he meant Tatooine, but in OT it was never clear when he talked about that issue, was Tatooine Anakin's home or not.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Did you read what i wrote? . It was conjecture, In that part of the post it was conjecture, I didnt say it was fact.

7. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay, good we are getting somewhere. Now, do you think when he used the phrase "...should have stayed here..." ("here" being, as you indicated, the planet of Tatooine, ) what is your interpretation of the word "stayed"? Do you think that means Anakin was there and should not have left tatooine when he was 9,or do you think that it means that Anakin should have left Coruscant when he was in his 20's and come for a "stay" on Tatooine?

V-2 likes this.
  8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

So then, you suggest that he would stay with his mother. When he says he wants to stay with her after learning that she can;t go with them,she urges him to leave. She's a slave.n She lives at Watto's discretion. That is what a slave is. Slaves do not have control over their lives, how or where they live. They don't have ownership of homes. They don't have anything that isn't allowed to them. That's what a slave is.

It's true, Anakin has a little money in his pocket. It's not even enough to free his mother, so how long is that going to last him? Are you really suggesting that Owen thought staying there was best? Really??

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He was probably just smelling the kid's diaper.

Andy Wylde and Jcuk like this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not sure, since OT never showed us, either time is possible.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    What is your interpretation of the word "stayed" in the phrase, "...should have stayed here..." Slowpokeking? What do you think he meant?

V-2 likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm saying no where in the film does it say that Watto will throw Anakin out of the house once he's set free. Do you deny that? In the film Anakin is presented with the choice to stay with his mother or go with Qui-Gon to become a Jedi. You seem to think Watto will throw Anakin out of the home he's lived in if he doesn't leave but that is only your opinion and not what is shown in the film. Watto still has at least one slave (Shmi) but how long would that slave continue to do her work if he throws her son into the street? I'm guessing not very long. But that's just my opinion so let's stick to what's in the film and what is in the film is what I stated above. Anakin's choice: Stay with Shmi or go with Qui-Gon. So just going by what is presented in the film Owen is within reason to think that Anakin was better off staying with his mother than going with the Jedi.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed- given how reluctant Watto is to lose Anakin (his tinkering skills, his piloting skills) I think it highly likely he'd keep Anakin on- possibly getting as much out of him as possible by promises to improve Shmi's working conditions.

14. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course you refer to that time when Anakin, at age 9, should have stayed on Tatooine and not followed Obi-Wan off on some damn fool idealistic crusade... because that's clearly what was going on there, right?. Anakin was following Obi-Wan on a damn fool idealistic crusade. :rolleyes:

V-2 likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He should have stayed on Tatooine. Simple.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It never said the crusade happened right when he left, and Anakin did follow Obi Wan in the Clone Wars later.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No what I'm saying is Owen is within reason to think Anakin, age 9, was better off staying with his mother rather than going off with the Jedi because it directly led to his involvement in the wars and everything that would go wrong in his life later on.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    He cannot stay with his mother,she is living in slavery.

Your suggestion that this is what was meant by Owen is absurd

19. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Why do you think Owen would have thought that Anakin should have stayed on Tatooine and not moved to Coruscant, or moved back from Coruscant to the planet Tatooine specifically during the time frames at which it would have made it accurate that Anakin would need to "stay" there?

V-2 likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I've responded to that already. I suggest you read my post again and look at Iron_lord's post as well.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    And what did Shmi do for watto? U don't know? no one does. So what working conditions? Their little place didnt look too bad, wasn't like they were living in abject squalor was it?

22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I have, several times. It makes no sense. It's contrived and convoluted.

V-2 likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the TPM novel mentions it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course you refer to that time, when Anakin, at age 9, should have stayed on Tatooine and not gotten involved. Because that's what Owen totally meant, right?

V-2 and Captain Tom Coughlin like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No I'm going by what is stated in the film while you are making things up to fit your point. Anakin has the choice to stay with his mother in TPM. Simple. You have no evidence to suggest Watto who kick Anakin out and I can just as easily say that he wouldn't.

Andy Wylde and V-2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.